Conference Championshp weekend

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NYJ79, Jan 13, 2019.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I do feel really bad for Saints fans tonight. Last year that epic loss in Minnesota on the last play, now that terrible ending today. Brutal exits 2 years in a row. Makes you wonder if Brees can do it again next year too. It is not as easy as Brees and Brady have made it look lately.

LAJet likes this.
  2. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I call BS. A so-called Patriot / Jet fan (which is extremely hard to believe in the first place) wouldn't be in a Jet forum "praying" to Brady (post #97 in this thread) the day of the game - even in jest. Pretty "douchey" thing to do - at least IMHO. Sorry, any credibility that you might have had is now gone.

BacktoQueens and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

It sucks that another shitty ref call cost them the game and the Super Bowl. It's amazing that lots of these games comes down to an officiating mistake near the end of the game. IMHO it does give the league a black eye.

Of course, in our recent predicament, it's hard to feel bad for anybody else :).

4. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You are too funny!

5. Patriot

You are right, that was a bad call. But in that play, the Chiefs got away with pass interference.

6. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

I picked the Saints to go all the way in the preseason, I wont be doing it again next year. Their division is to competitive, it really sucks for them, they should be playing in 2 weeks. In all likelihood, that will be the last long playoff rodeo for Brees. They might make it back, but I dont think they make the championship game or win it.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Anyone else wish to see the overtime rules change? at least for the postseason? This isn't because the Patriots won, but to me it makes sense to let these teams play it out in the playoffs. Give the ball back to the other teams offense if a TD is scored, also require a 2 pt play. Teams should get matching possessions, if they continue to score. I know the league doesnt want long games, but I dont think it would be that bad, especially if it was exclusively for the playoffs.

Patriot likes this.
  8. Patriot

I agree with you that for just the playoffs, the overtime rule should change. I don't like the college rule either. The rule the NFL has now is better than the old rule where a field goal in the only possession will win a game.

I think there should be a 15 minute overtime quarter and if the teams are still tied in the regular season, its a tied game. In the playoffs, you simply extend the 15 minute overtime quarter until a team has a winning score. This way time management is part of the game again which makes sense to me in the purest football sense.

9. Patriot

I think many of you made a good point that the Chiefs should not have deferred the initial coin toss. Normally this is a good scheme, but I think it was important for the Chiefs to score first to put more pressure on the Pats offense.

The hitting the helmet roughing the passer call was a bogus call, but there was clear pass interference against the Chiefs in that play. The Chiefs also got away with quite a few grabbing and interference non-calls. Keep in mind they were the most penalized secondary in the NFL. They didn't get too many calls against them in this area at all.

The Patriots deserve a lot of credit of going into a hostile environment like Arrow Head Stadium and competing so well. How many teams could have done that?

Championship teams do get lucky breaks, and Dee Ford lining up offside on an apparent game-winning interception is incredibly moronic. This is almost as bad as the Charger's Marlon McCree's fumbled interception because he couldn't go down.

Having said all this, I realize this Patriot run has been very special and will never be repeated again.

I hope for all of us the Jets have a great 2019 season. Before Broadway Joe leaves us, win a Super Bowl.

10. Patriot

Johnny, chill out dude.

Perhaps you can take my prayer that was in jest, change the wording, and maybe give the Jets some good luck. If you like, maybe I should develop a prayer for the Jets.

By the way, I really didn't expect the Pats to win this game, hence my prayer.

11. Wishing death on anyone is wrong..no doubt..a few days off will do them good.

But i cant understand why these SAME god damn Patriot Trolls that come out of the woodwork to passively rub it every chance they get..season after season.. are allowed to continue this nonsense.

I mean didnt we remove “cheaters” from a thread to spare their feelings??What am i missing here? We know what their intent is..theyre just diplomatic enough to slide their insults into the fold.Repeatedly.

12. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Beleive me, I am chill. Although I do spend a lot of time (too much) on the Jets, I don't live and die by them anymore.

The Jets don't need your prayers. Thanks anyway.

Why do you think you would post a Patriot prayer in a Jets forum and not be called out?

BacktoQueens and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If somehow by hook or crook Gase and Williams solve the Patriots Rubrick Cube then we can hope for a SB

Until further notice I will take a few years with at least Playoff Appearances

FTRMR on a positive note I like Mahomes but I think that his monster arm aside, Sam D would avoid throwing into double coverage ...maybe Sam a tad smarter QB

PM Needs to be schooled more by Reid

#913 NYJetsO12, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    LAJet likes this.
  14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

wow 2 amazing games if your on the winning side - unfortunately penalties had a significant impact on the outcome. don't know folks but it may be time to take the human element out of SOME of these calls. its just not fair.

the rams have a shot. a very good shot. i don't think the pats match up very well with them. specifically the rams D. Mcvay is a sicko and he will have every trick play available.

mahomes certainly played good enough to win - went toe to toe with BB/TB in the AFCCG. penalties and a not very good D let him down. Brady should just hand over the torch to him right after this SB.

oh and who didn't wish the glass fell out when the krafts were tapping it while celebrating in their suites. F em.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

with regard to OT rules.....its a tough spot and the league wants to give BOTH teams a shot at a W. i could see them doing away with this "first TD drive game over" and giving the away team one possession after the other team scores the initial TD in OT.

16. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Dude as much as I dislike the cheaters you give Belicheat 2 weeks to prepare that presents a big problem for the Rams. The Pats have been there many many times and have the experience over the Rams. I think Belicheat will remind them everyday about losing the Superbowl last year and will use that to motivate them. I will never bet against Belicheat or Brady and that's the reality.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah well... I really couldn't give two fucks and a duck.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I still have the taste of throw up in my mouth.

In regards to OT rules, the rules are fine. If you don’t get the ball first? D up and stop them. The chiefs had them 3rd and 10 on three separate occasions, not one stop. They already hindered ST being a big factor in the game and now if you change the rules in OT the D is screwed. Leave it as it.

Ralebird and stinkyB like this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They should allow coaches 3 challenges and allow them to challenge penalty calls. OT should be OT 15 minutes and who ever wins wins. If no winner another OT during the playoffs. The reason for challenges is the league knows the refs get it wrong
    The Pats came out in the first half and were grabbing and hitting receivers down the field. The refs allowed it. That's why the Chiefs didn't score in the first half. Football games are shaped by how the refs call the physical nature of the secondary and OL. The Pats started out on the edge of the rules and the Chiefs adjusted to it in the second half. The interior line of the Pats were holding on every play and it was allowed in the context of the game. I have no issue with it.

Keep in mind the Chiefs were the highest scoring team in the NFL. Teams need to score on them and throw the ball on them. There were more passing attempts against the Chiefs than any other team in the league. I would expect them to lead the league in penalties on their DB's when they have the ball thrown on them 632 times in 16 games. It's the nature of the beast. The NFL has made it almost impossible on DB's. Without hand contact DB's are dead meat and when some hand contact is holding and some isn't it's hard to stop it. It puts way too much discretion in the hands of the refs.

If anything the refs allowing both teams to play a more physical style on both the OL and defensive backfield was a supreme gift to the Pats.

I give Reid credit for kicking Hunt off the team. I always thought that move might cost them the SB. He's a terrific runner on inside traps and screens and that's what the Chiefs needed early in that game to slow down the Pats rush up the middle. It probably cost them a SB.

Great win for the Pats no doubt about it. You don't need to make excuses for a bad call. They happen in ever game. The Pats just seem to be on the right side of them more than usual because they are in an amazing amount of big games.

stinkyB likes this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Pats have lost SB to teams that can play with their size at the point of attack. The Rams can do that on both sides of the ball.