Rhule Gives His Side of the Story

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HomeoftheJets, Jan 11, 2019.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

IF-----> you hire the right coach that is all avoidable. My point is that the coach whoever he is should pick his staff-----now we can disagree on which HC they should hire or hired thats fine. If more reports come out that the Jets didn't allow candidates to pick their staff or told the candidates who they should hire to work under them = then for me thats a problem. The other thing is that if you hired BOWLES a clueless individual and kept him for 4 years thats on you , time for them to look in the mirror

Cman68 likes this.
  2. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

If you're saying Maccagnan is on the hot seat, then I definitely agree with you.

CBG likes this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Im not just saying he's on the hottest but I believe he deserved to be fired and should have been shit canned with Bowles . Thats another another subject but the circle of life which is the Jets chasing their tails continues.

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i am really surprised anyone would be ok with the jets not allowing a guy to bring in his staff.

thats just not the way it works, i dont blame ruhle one bit for saying no. we have been down this arranged marriage road a number of times now and its been a failure every time.

if you are the hc you have a vision and bring in guys who fit your vision and are all in to succeed with you. no coach worth his weight or who has any self respect would allow that. only guys desperate to be nfl head coaches would accept that kind of shit. and these days being a college coach isnt so bad. lots of money and the ability to go bring your kind of players in. they are literally the ceo of the football program.

5. So if the jets like a HC candidate enough to consider he or she but dont feel their prospective staff is acceptable..should they just outright pass w no dialogue or potential compromise or at least throw acouple agreeable names in their direction before ultimately passing?

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I agree to a certain point and I also GET your point, but the fact remains that the meddling Scoody Doo Brothers not only know less than Dorsey, they also don't even know that jiggling the handle on a toilet can sometimes stop it from running.

7. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

The assistants were indeed a pretty big problem. And had Bowles replaced them in the first place, he may had kept his job possibly.

8. jetophile

Same strategy three years and counting! It will probably work out like the Black Death in the Middle Ages!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championshipjets69 :mad:

alleycat9 likes this.
  9. jetophile

Did you just get married (avatar)? Congrats! Just don't watch old Jets implosion rewinds on your Honey Moon. You just might kill each other in a knife fight to end it all.

10. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Rhule got so much free pub out of this. Can't even be mad at him.

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe they were left with a bad experience since Bowles fired his first staff except Rodgers, hired a new staff and still had terrible results.

I do understand their perspective on this and I’m convinced they didn’t want a repeat of Bowles situation of having to fire assistants after two years.

Let’s be honest, I’m more confident with Gase, Williams, Boyer, than Rhule and whoever his staff was going to be.

#51 Red Menace, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    CotcheryFan and FJF like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They "let" Gregg Williams bring in his freakin son as Linebackers' coach. What more proof do you need that Rhule's story of them wanting to pick his staff is bogus?

I don't believe Rhule's side of the story at all. It's just something a college coach, who relies on strongly on perception in both recruiting and fundraising would need to not damage perception after missing out on a job that he was going to clearly leave his current job for. IF anything, McCagnan told him they would like to keep the special teams' coach around. Considering we had the best special teams in the league, that is not unreasonable. But after he didn't get the job Rhule ran with this narrative, again, to keep the positive perception of him in tact.

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

If it was only the special teams coach then Rhule is truly an idiot, and is too stupid to be a coach of a Pop Warner team - you don't refuse an NFL head coaching job over the special teams coach. I think it's more likely that they talked about going after people like Williams for DC (not "We will hire Gregg Williams as DC" but "What do you think about someone like Gregg Williams as DC?"), and Rhule just said that he thinks he would go with a staff that is people he's worked with in the past. That's his right, and to me the response from the Jets to not hire him is absolutely correct (to bring in a staff of top coordinators who have no NFL experience strikes me as absurd).

I completely agree with you that he's trying to cover himself with players, recruits, and fans, but I think he's failed at that anyway. If I'm a player or a fan, how am I supposed to feel about a guy who not only was ready to abandon the team after two years, but would also by his own admission completely devastate the program by trying to take the coaching staff with him? Why would any recruit give a rat's ass what he says about the future of Baylor football when he clearly doesn't give a damn about it?

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the fix for that is hiring a decent head coach, which i still dont think they have done. and not letting him stick around for 4 years after you realized he is not going to be successful after 2.