Klecko & Lyons Give DC Williams the thumbs up.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jan 18, 2019.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

article: How Klecko & Lyons feel about new DC Williams.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/klecko-lyons-talk-up-jets-d-coordinator-gregg-williams

Who better to comment on Adam Gase and the Jets' signing of Gregg Williams as their new defensive coordinator than two of the greatest D-linemen to wear the green and white?

"A great hire," said Marty Lyons.

"He's got a nasty side to him," said Joe Klecko.

Williams, whose hiring was announced Wednesday, makes the Jets his 11th NFL stop with his ninth different team, and with seven of those teams hiring him as coordinator for his attacking 4-3 defenses and his fiery, aggressive approach to the game.

Both Jets greats are on board with applying pressure to their 2019 opponents and beyond, and why not? Klecko had a 20.5-sack season that "didn't count" (coming in 1981, one year before sacks became an official statistic), while Mark Gastineau had 22 sacks in 1984 that was the NFL record until 2001. And Klecko (20.5 sacks), Gastineau (20), Lyons (6) and Abdul Salaam (7) formed the foundation of the franchise's record 66 sacks in '81.

"I think it's disruptive for most quarterbacks just feeling people around you. When you get that, it's a problem," Klecko said. "There's one thing the Patriots do very well and that's protect the middle for Tom Brady. If Tom cannot step up, he's less effective. I think that's the thing about a defensive line. You have to do that. You have to make sure he feels you all the time."

Williams needless to say knows the importance of sacks. His Titans D's in 1999 and 2000, including playoff games, combined for 123 sacks and his Rams units posted 81 regular-season sacks in 2014-15. The Jets in 2018 cobbled together a better pass rush than many expected — their 39 sacks were in the middle of the pack while their 114 QB pressure unofficially came in No. 3. Now if only Gase, Williams and Mike Maccagnan's personnel team can mix in that monster pass-rush presence for 2019 ...

"I think what also will help is if maybe the Jets find a little bit more talent on that side of the ball," Lyons said. "They still have to have a Joe Klecko or a Mark Gastineau on the outside that has the speed and ability to match up, be an edge rusher, be able to get back there and to control the tempo of the game."

Both Jets greats are on board with applying pressure to their 2019 opponents and beyond, and why not? Klecko had a 20.5-sack season that "didn't count" (coming in 1981, one year before sacks became an official statistic), while Mark Gastineau had 22 sacks in 1984 that was the NFL record until 2001. And Klecko (20.5 sacks), Gastineau (20), Lyons (6) and Abdul Salaam (7) formed the foundation of the franchise's record 66 sacks in '81.

"I think it's disruptive for most quarterbacks just feeling people around you. When you get that, it's a problem," Klecko said. "There's one thing the Patriots do very well and that's protect the middle for Tom Brady. If Tom cannot step up, he's less effective. I think that's the thing about a defensive line. You have to do that. You have to make sure he feels you all the time."

Williams needless to say knows the importance of sacks. His Titans D's in 1999 and 2000, including playoff games, combined for 123 sacks and his Rams units posted 81 regular-season sacks in 2014-15. The Jets in 2018 cobbled together a better pass rush than many expected — their 39 sacks were in the middle of the pack while their 114 QB pressure unofficially came in No. 3. Now if only Gase, Williams and Mike Maccagnan's personnel team can mix in that monster pass-rush presence for 2019 ...

"I think what also will help is if maybe the Jets find a little bit more talent on that side of the ball," Lyons said. "They still have to have a Joe Klecko or a Mark Gastineau on the outside that has the speed and ability to match up, be an edge rusher, be able to get back there and to control the tempo of the game."

Brook! likes this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Defense Wins Championships and I approve this Signing as our DC.

Royal Tee likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Jinxing us last year wasn't enough lol?

Royal Tee, FJF, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

I don't know. I wasn't born until 1985 so please explain who Jinxed us from 1970-1984? Or since I didn't watch my first Jets game until 1992 (7 years of age) who was the Jinx from 1970-1992 Ala 22 years and counting when Mr. "DWC" wasn't around? lol You guys are funny.

5. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

"A great hire," said Marty Lyons.

"He's got a nasty side to him," said Joe Klecko.

I like nasty. I want to see Tom Brady under intense pressure.

Go Jets!!

Taps

BleedJetsGreen1981 and Royal Tee like this.
  6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

This is really not only the real story but the saddest part of the Jets to me the last 7 or 8 years under the tail end of Rex's and Bowles tenure. Despite having two head coaches that are supposed to be defensive experts and massive draft investment of premium picks the Jets defense has just been poor. Terrible when the focus and investment is factored in.

I think that's the biggest condemnation that most of us are more excited about our defense now for 2019 and beyond than we have been for literally years now.

7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Can’t you just hang out at a Dolphins board and leave us the fuck alone Philly Stacx?

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The defense under Rex was literally the best in the league in 2009 by a wide margin, and remained excellent for several years after.
    Was always above avg until the last year when Idzik gutted the team.

Bowles had a good D his first year here in 2015, but it's been below avg ever since.
    That was my biggest disappointment with him. I thought Bowles would maintain the strong defensive identity that Rex established, but that strength essentially plummeted under his tenure here.

With Williams I think we will be very aggressive again, and will get that team strength back.

BudJet likes this.
  9. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

I'm excited about Williams, he plays the style of defense that gives Brady the most trouble.

GreenfiendNYJ and BudJet like this.
  10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Two defensive linemen with 20 sacks in the same season. I wish I'd known about American football in those days. It must have been fun to watch that defence.

BudJet, stinkyB and Acad23 like this.
  11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

That 2009 defensive team averaged .6 yards per play better than the next best team in the league. Also, if you take out return touchdowns allowed (by the offensive and special teams) that defensive 2009 team allowed less than 12 points per game. Was it as good as the 1985 Bears or 2000 Ravens? Not quite, but it was pretty damn special.

stinkyB likes this.