How do Jets defensive players fit in 4-3?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wellemann, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Then I’d rather they sign one in free agency and look elsewhere in the draft. Taking a big boy non edge linemen in the first round again leaves too much of a pessimistic feeling in my gut. Still need a left tackle

2. Greg Little been sneaking up big boards.I think after the combine he’ll be neck & neck w Williams.Trading down to 6-10 range would be ideal to your point.

If targetting skill guys like Harry,Brown, or Fant trade to picks 12-25..

3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a plan.

4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I can live with another defender early but only if it follows a trade down and the defender isn't the first player selected.

Lotsa good pass rushers in free agency this year. Coming off a bad year playing on the franchise tag Ziggy Ansah could be had at a relative bargain price.

Jadeveon Clowney will cost a arm & a leg I wouldn't go near him.

Follow the Colts blueprint build a wall in front of Darnold.

Pepsiguy5 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

This is easy to say. Not so easy to do. There isn't a Nelson in this draft. There isn't a Faneca in FA. We'd all like to build a wall, but it's not going to happen.

FJF and Noam like this.
  6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

He may not be Faneca, but Roger Saffold from the Rams would be a hell of a good start to fixing this line.

TonyFtLaud and MoWilkBeast like this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Appreciate the information, however did you get a chance to watch Williams explanation of his 4-3 terminology and responsibilities?

This article is very simplistic in explaining the similarities, please watch Williams video and you will see that it’s more than just 3 or 4 guys lining up on LOS.

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I have been saying this forever. Waaaaay too much is made of what base defense a coordinator uses.

The fact of the matter is that Williams plays a multitude of different fronts.

10. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

we’ll end up drafting another fat hyped up d lineman who will under perform like always.

11. MoWilkBeast

Agreed. I didn't say they can't do anything, just that building that wall of an OL won't happen and we shouldn't reach to try and make it happen. Saffold, Paradis, drafting an interior guy day 2 and improving depth are all things to look at. There's probably a couple of other options out there too. Focus on the interior this year.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would love to bring in saffold and paradis through FA. Then address pass rusher through the draft.

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Everyone wants that left tackle and this might be the draft to grab one, but I think we have far bigger issues in the run game protection. I heard somewhere we were far and away the worst when it came to runs with no gain. It passes the eye test as I didnt usually any holes being opened up on run downs for probably the past 3 years. I would look to upgrade the guard and center positions immediately.

14. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think its equally critical to also NOT follow the Colts earlier blueprint of acquiring a franchise QB and then letting him get slaughtered behind a terrible OL. Priority #1 to me above all else is to make sure every effort and expense has been taken to ensure Darnold is operating in a safe environment. In my mind that will then allow him to grow. And if he grows and develops successfully whatever other parts and pieces we need to push it all over the top we can find later. If he DOESN'T grow and develop and gets blown to pieces, then literally nothing else matters. You can have 4 Lawrence Talyors on defense and that's great..... we're still screwed.

15. MoWilkBeast

I think we were second worst when it came to having negative yard runs to be fair. That is also where most of the pressure came from in passing situations as well. The tackles weren't too bad. I agree it is essential that we upgrade at center and at least one guard, preferably both.

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

and people wonder why the team never seems to improve :(

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He does. And most teams have to be out there with 6 DB's every almost every down now anyway with the way these offenses incorporate the spread.

Can't play a 4-3 or a 3-4 if you have 6 DBs on the field. I am not good at math but my teacher learned me that would make 13 players

slimjasi likes this.
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

Hoping Darron Lee can flourish as a 4-3 MLB as did Vilma with New Orleans once made transition from 3-4 IMLB to sideline to sideline MLB. He's pound for pound every bit as athletically gifted as Vilma was.

19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Wait--didn't you predict he was going to be an All Pro this year and make a significant jump and be one of our best defenders?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Even tho a few of us keep saying this, and posting info how Williams likes to play multiple fronts in the same game, and that base D is prob used in only about 40% of snaps, I don't think it's being heard.

A major defensive overhaul is not coming.
    If anything we need versatile D lineman and LBs who can play in multiple fronts.

We can keep trying though :)