Gregg Williams our new DC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

We want Tom Brady sideways. We want his head sideways!

Little James White? We’re gonna knock the fuck outta him. He has no idea what he’s in for

Jeti, abc and twown like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I'm so excited for getting Williams.....He will bring out the dog in the defense. This will be a culture shock for the defense going from Rogers to Williams .:eek:

NYJetsO12 and abc like this.
  3. MeanGreenMachine88

I’m pretty excited we get some decent free agents in here maybe not tank the draft for once

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I like the idea that Gase said he wanted a coach that can manage the defense so he can concentrate on offense & coaching Sam. Gase said he never liked when he was OC and the HC was always looking over his shoulder. This is where the league is going. HC with offensive background who calls the plays & a DC with HC experience to run the defense, ala Rams McVay & Phillips & Jets Gase & Williams;)

NYJetsO12, abc and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It tends to work well....:D

NYJetsO12, HomeoftheJets and Ralebird like this.
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

BuddyRyan46 is older than we thought.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

First it was 3 years, 2009-2011. The Saints led the league in RP/UR /PF all 3 years. He was telling his team to Target the head, target ACLs, telling players every one take a shot at the head in the pile. Nothing legal.
    You want to say he served his suspension and should be forgiven, fine.
    But don't say he told his players to hit legally.

jetophile likes this.
  9. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I think it was mostly bluster and bravado talk and silly locker room BS

Most players are friends and would never intentionally hurt others even if the coaches say “kill Those bastards!!!”

Hit hard? Yes. Give some extra business? Maybe.

But come on.

If players wanted to hurt someone they could have easily killed Brady over the past
    20 years on a late hit.

Think Jim Mcmahon vs charles martin

10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Affect the head.

11. TonyFtLaud

When your paying cash for injuries, it's not bluster. Remember the championship game between the Saints and Vikings? 5 personal fouls roughing the passer penalties just on Favre. 3 helmets to the chin, several late hits that weren't called?
    You and those who are trying to legitimize it, would be the first crying if it we're to happen to Darnold.....
    There's playing through the whistle, and playing to injure. Completely different scenarios. Hopefully our D plays hard, but clean. Karma's a bitch and I'd hate to see our players injured in retaliation. Kind of like what you see Everytime the Bengals and Steelers play.

12. TonyFtLaud

Bilichick's answer, everyone put a helmet on 14s head. Jets never get calls from the officials....

13. MeanGreenMachine88

Who cares what he did with that saints made up scandal. Make football violent again

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Didn't see anyone else reply to you. You mad bro?

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

For the guy that’s been on his high horse in this thread:

Gase is spot on.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Is it me or there is a certain amount of disingenuous and bias approach in passing judgement in the NFL. We can target Williams for the rest of his life, and make him the sole contributor and blame him for the Bounty hunt. Yet we laud Payton as one of the classiest and best respected coaches in the NFL. We make him look like he knew nothing about it. Such BS. Multiple players across many teams stated over and over that it existed in their teams to, but we close our eyes and ears to it. Williams paid the price for all, and in the process, he was the catalyst in changing the rules. The Raiders, the Bears, the Steelers and most other NFL teams have had a history of brutal hits, go back and watch the shit "the stork" from the Raiders did to Namath. Williams was the one that got the axe and got caught. He paid the price, he was kicked out of football, and since his re instatement has been nothing but by the book.
    This is a violent sport, and it requires an aggressive defense. I have zero indications that Cleveland was dirty in the defense. No, they came to play and played hard and smart, something we haven't seen for 4 years. I might be wrong, but I'm reminded of what that candy ass pat in the back at Brady in the Red zone by KC to avoid a BS penalty, causing him to dance into the end zone. and causing KC to lose the game. Fuck that.
    I'm happy we got Williams. Stats or no stats I want to see a defense that comes to play every week, adjusts to the opponent weaknesses and goes after the ball on every play. What happened 15 years ago is history for everyone, not just Williams.

17. jetophile

Did anyone hear Bart Scott on the radio yesterday? Hardy-har. He weaved in his former comment about the Jets being the dumbest team in football at the very end of his commentary but it was no way near a brainless semi-rant. He is really starting to impress me. He likes the Gregg Williams hire for what it's worth.

I can't repeat any of it verbatim, only loosely, but it was a good segment. Man, did he ever crap on Kerry Rhodes. "Kerry was an amazing athlete and the best athlete on the team, but he would never fall on a grenade for a teammate. You let Wes Welker beat you because you didn't want to hurt yourself. Complete opposites. Kerry, tall, black, built, Jim Leonhard, short, white, skinny. I'll take Jim Leonhard any day because he would fall on a grenade any day." The whole segment was along those lines re: being a defensive player and why he thinks a DC like Williams could motivate players to take bullets for each other but all I kept saying to Henry the Dog on our way back from our hike was Holeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Smokkkkkkkkesssss, hahahaha, brutal.

He also said something about Jamal Adams being a leader. "Being a leader doesn't mean what YOU can do. Being a leader means you take other teammates who are a C and turn them into a B." Amen, Bart. Once again, Bart Scott likes the Gregg Williams hire. If anyone can find the audio, go fetch. It's pretty good and worth the listen.

Baumeister and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  18. jetophile

Yesterday was also the 8th anniversary of, "Can't wait!" I'm not sure if they talked about it because I turned on the radio a minute or two into the segment. Annnnnnd what do the Jets do they come out flat as a pancake the following week against Spittsburgh because Jets gonna Jet. The D gimps Roethlisrapist, it's 3rd & 19, annnnnd I'm gonna pull a champ here. :mad::mad::mad: What was this about again? Gregg Williams. Right.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

To be frank, I am not concerned about bountygate or the moral character of this guy - just the coaching abilities. I hear decades ago he had good defenses, but what concerns me is more recent accomplishments. Cleveland turned things around because of Baker, not defense. That also explains why their OC is the HC now. Wasn't his defense one of the worst in the League? When was the last time this guy coached a defense to any sort of respectability?

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Williams was caught on tape, Payton wasn't.

NYJetsO12 and LAJet like this.