Adam Gase New HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Jan 9, 2019.

?

Do you approve Gase signing?

1. Yes

22.3%
  2. No

45.8%
  3. Too early to tell

31.9%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Look- I'm not looking to pee on Darnold's shoe or anything. Those final four games were valuable for his development. I was speaking with people who think he's better than Goff, Trubisky, etc.. and they are division winners. These people are pointing to their performances in the playoffs and discounting their abilities. If you look at Darnold's starts from that perspective, they are meaningless

2. BrowningNagle

Ok. He played well against the Lions week 1. then he struggled for the rest of the year outside of 3 games down the stretch. Better than Goff? better than Mayfield? better than Trubisky? HOW

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

I think he's gonna end up like a Matthew Stafford type career myself. Solid but turnover prone, spreads the ball around but needs the right system. Mayfield could be brett favre

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Or the game slowed down for him during that off time. That’s all we really have to go off of.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I agree we can’t make any big claims about the guy. I am by no means saying he’s even going to be our franchise QB (yet). I am optimistic though from his first year and having a full season with experience and a better offense that he makes a big step in the right direction in 2019.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yup. And we won't know which explanation is correct until next season.

7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I think people are referring to his potential and his big improvement down the stretch. You can't judge a rookie QB on stats alone, you have to look at their development. Based on stats, he had a better rookie year than Goff and equivalent of Trubiski, both of whom did not start day 1. But stats are meaningless, I care more about seeing his poise and confidence out there and he has made some big improvements.

I think he will take a big step forward next year in a better offensive system. All rookie QBs go through struggles. Darnold finished with more TDs than INTs, despite starting off really behind in that. I'll wait to see how he improves in year 2 before proclaiming him better than Goff/Trubiski, at this point it's way premature.

NYJetsO12, K'OB and BrowningNagle like this.
  8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I
    I watched all of those guys extensively in college (other than Wentz) and IMHO I saw a much more talented QB than those guys. Bigger, more accurate, better able to read defenses, more durable than Mayfield; better arm, more accurate, better able to read defenses, more athletic, more durable than Goff and basically other than arm strength and running, better in every aspect than Trubisky.

Was he better THIS year than those guys? I was never suggesting that. Clearly.

I think he is a more talented and therefore BETTER QB than those three.

In my humble opinion.

And again, I LOVE Mayfield.

K'OB and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. Rollo Tomassi

This does not compute for the Literati.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Darnold didn’t have much going for him with the Jets offense last season. Bad OL, average receivers (when healthy) poor RB’s, bad scheme, a TE that emerged late, etc. Eventually he made it work, save for the Patriots disaster.

With new weapons, and new scheme, an improved OL, and the full support of the HC, he’s primed to make great strides next season.

Gase may be exactly what he needs to make the jump. There’s reason to be excited compared to the past 4 seasons. Especially since, unlike our last coach, our new one seems committed to going all in on what he knows best. With Williams on board now, it solidifies his ability to do just that.

Massive roster turnover means both coaches can bring in talent that fits their schemes. This could be the quick turnaround that we’re all hoping for, especially since the Phins and Bills are unlikely to make big moves with more question marks at QB and arguably worse personnel in some areas then we have.

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  11. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

What the Jets are doing with Gase is really interesting. They seem to be focused on limiting his role as head coach to almost an OC plus. They brought in Williams to be "Head Coach of the Defense" (Gase's term) and they have a GM that will maintain control over personnel (although with input from Gase I'm sure). This all seems to be designed so as to limit Gase's authority and let him just really focus on the offense and developing Darnold with fewer distraction.

I think both Gase and the Jets realized that Gase was spread too thin and over too many different areas with the phins and limited his authority so as to avoid that with the Jets. Gase did best with the phins when he had a strong DC that he could delegate control of the defense to (Vance Joseph). Gase didn't even appear to want the additional authority based on what he said at the press conference (that he didn't even ask for authority over the roster).

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

"Mayfield could be brett favre" - agree on this and mahomes is this generations marino.

who could darnold be?? not sure right now - would love a brees.

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Seems weird that there are so many comparison's between a rookie 21 year old Darnold and:

Trubisky- Sophmore 24
    Goff- Junior 24
    Wentz- Junior 26

Darnold had similar rookie numbers to all three, and did it younger than Trubisky and Wentz.

I see very little reason why he couldn't be at any of their levels in the next couple years.

14. He has significantly more upside than those 3 w the exception of perhaps Wentz who ironically is 5 years older than Sam.

However..I think hes still a year away from really putting everything together. I expect another up & down sophomore campaign w plenty of high’s & lows..he’ll make marked improvement but there are so many aspects to his game still developing that need to fall into place & blend together.Its not a bad thing at all.Its like a 5 tool baseball player or top end point guard..things just need to mold into form.

Year 3 is when he can put it all together & be truly dominant.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Agree. He’ll still be learning the game next season and I’d say it hasn’t completely slowed down for him yet. How could it with that OL.

It’ll be interesting to see what Sam can do with time I’d he gets it more consistently. He certainly had time at point last season, but more consistency could do wonders, not to mention the rapport he seems to have built with Anderson.

CotcheryFan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  16. He has really high end potential as a deep field passer.Hes just below elite level arm strength wise but his accuracy when its on is deadly..right in the bread basket.

Changing his release affected his velocity alil bit & hes still learning to throw w a proper base.

Id like to see him focus on this in the offseason.Get w Robbie A to get that timing down on deep throws, work on throwing w a better base & hone in on better utilizing his strong arm in terms of velocity.He has the ability.

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea, and I keep coming back to his age. If things work out right, he’s the guy through 2035.

18. Rollo Tomassi

A better OLine helps in him setting his base.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Nowadays year 2 is when QBs put it together. If they don't figure it out by year 2, they usually don't figure it out at all.

20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The Dark Knight and Jets81 like this.