Gregg Williams our new DC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jan 15, 2019.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'm following. Even with a 4-3 you want one of the 4 to drop back sometimes even if just to disguise the play. What am I misunderstanding?

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I think you are mixing up a traditional 34 defense with a 43 defense.

In a 3-4, you would do a lot of complex blitzing where you rush linebackers and sometimes drop lineman.

In a 4-3, you typically count on your 4 down lineman to rush the passer and eat up blockers so that the Linebackers are free to make tackles. Blitzing and dropping lineman in a 4-3 can happen, but not as frequent as you would see in a 3-4. I don't claim to be an expert, but this is my basic understanding of the two.

Catfish Billy and abc like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

A change is made when the HC gets fired.

Mr mittens likes this.
  4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

In all my years on this board I don’t think I have seen such an overwhelmingly positive hire from the board.

Gase & Mac A+ for first move of offseason.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  6. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

The Williams hire makes the Gase hire a bit more palatable.

BacktoQueens and SOJAZ like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There is going to have to be significant changes up front to this defense to make a 4-3 work. Don't be surprised if the first round draft pick is again, a defensive tackle

They also need a middle linebacker and some defensive ends

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Bennigno very insightful here..

We are all presently going through some heavy rationalization/denial that these moron owners have suddenly become something else

"character assassination of Mike McCarthy courtesy of the Johnson Hack m Mehta,"... I believe it :(

Thru out the Safe Pick (mcCarthy) with brilliant record for "a younger guy" with forward vision "..translation: getting a Sean McVay (needle in a hay stack)

With Williams on board the best we can hope for is that the devastating pass on Coach McCarthy for Gase was the right move..ugh

I am back to feeling miserable again ..damn

i am looking at this hire of Gase/Williams through a 2 year lens ...do better than 10-6 ( I am anticipating first year success like Toilet b) year two and advance into Playoffs then ya got something cooking

#168 NYJetsO12, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Trading back for Ferrell would be ideal, even if we do land a big time pass rusher in FA. If we stay at 3 and Quinnen Williams is there, I'm all aboard that train as well.

10. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Three year deal for Gregg.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

We currently have 30 guys under contract, changes were coming no matter what, that said...

Avery Williamson can play MLB just fine in the 43, he played it in our nickle last year. Leo will be fine as the strong side DE in a 43, Shepard skill set actually suit him better as a 3T than a space eater. We are going to need a good pass rushing end, but we also needed a good pass rushing edge player for a 34 anyway. We will need to find a second starter at DT I don't really see Pennel or Fatukasi getting the job but they provide some depth. Jenkins May be able to switch to the Strong side OLB. Sure he's not over fast or fluid, but those were also his limitations in our last scheme.

I think the switch will really help get the most out of our young building blocks in Lee, Leo, Adams, and Shepard.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Copeland might find some playing time on strong side as well if Jenkins has a difficult time.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m thinking Williams will be suited as the 3t in the warren sap mode. Putting him on the end he will be too slow for for tackles. Sheppard,Pennel Fatukashi are the dt’s. We really need to ends and hopefully can find a sam out of Copeland,Jenkins ,Luvu or Hewitt.

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Looking at his Rams defense I can see Leo/Shep playing the Donald/Brockers role.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's a good hire but not A+. Williams's defenses haven't been that great in recent years and the Browns were right to choose Kitchens over him. (Yeah they could've kept Kitchens as OC but then they'd risk losing him next offseason.)

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Or if we really need another dt

Sign this beast

Peebag and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Leo is big enough for an inside role but I don't think its the best use of his skills. I don't see him as too slow to play end at all. If we land a pass rusher for the other side I think his combination of first step quickness and power can overwhelm a lot of tackles one on one. I think going to a 43 full time and having Williams as a coach will be a big boon to Leo. As much as we need Gase to get the most out of Sam I think Greg can get the most out of Leo like we have not seen as of yet.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

"Williams takes over a Jets defense that was horrific in 2018 under Todd Bowles, finishing 29th in total yards allowed and 23rd in scoring -- the 441 points given up were the second-most in team history."

My god I knew we were bad, but I didn't realize it was that bad.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

On the downside the Browns defensive rankings were just as bad.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

They were 12th in DVOA last year compared to our 26th.

abc likes this.