CJ may have changed the organization structure. Mac's influence reigns. For Now.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 101GangGreen101, Jan 15, 2019.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

and they all report to Darnold :eek:

2. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Mac doesn't want to talk to the media and Gase hasn't earned the way he treats people. This should be fun once a losing streak hits.

#22 No Fly Zone, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I get the feeling this has zero to do with power etc in the normal operating sense. I think CJ feels that it's a flat structure among Mac, Gase and lol.... Glatt.. (seriously wtf is Glatt doing in this organization? He seems like a road manager paying off hotels, hushing bad behavior from the public etc. ) #but# I think Mac will have more say over FA signings. It's pretty widely reported that Toilet pushed to sign Turmaine Johnson and Mac didn't want him. I'm sure CJ saw what a bone head move that's been so far (hopefully Williams will get more production out of him) so he will give Mac final authority or Mac and CJ will have final authority but not Gase. Other than this I really don't think there will be a change in structure.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  4. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

If Macc is on the hot seat himself, this structure makes sense as it provides flexibility to retain Gase if he's decent and Macc continues to suck ass

I would like to believe that we will now have a HC and a GM who see eye to eye on what they're looking for from players and as a team as a whole -- but I have no idea if that's the case because I have no idea what Macc looks for in players or out of a team. (I have some sense of what Gase is looking for, e.g., players dedicated to the game) My hope is Macc's actually a genius but guarding his trade secrets for NFL domination. Now that Bowles is out of the way and not foiling his plans we will be a dynasty. (Having said that, I won't hold my breath waiting for this to happen)

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"Don Samuel.... I come to you on this day asking for a favor...."

rickjet and Red Menace like this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

My gut feeling is that the Johnson bros have definitely allowed the HC too much say in draft picks and probably FA additions too in the past. It may also help to explain why Mac has survived the last 3 seasons relatively unscathed and potentially with greater authority than before. I have no real evidence for this, other than we know Rex used to get a throw away pick (which he did throw away) and Stewart/Donohue seemed to be picks made largely on the say so of the CS. It may well just be me creating a narrative to fit, but circumstantial evidence does seem to point that way.

7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You are right that this is a common approach in the corporate world. I live in this world and I have noticed that managers who must work with a staff they did not select often end up with sub-optimal results.

Its a great check and balance on power and employees are less scared of the manager but the final product usually ends up poorer due to a combination of the lack of competent individuals on the staff or their inability to work in their areas of strength due to the organizational chart they find themselves plugged into.

When a manager is able to be flexible in terms of the employees roles and bring in the people that fit his or her vision, a vibrancy to the team is often observed that allows for greater success and more tenacity in the face of obstacles. I fully believe that this is the right organization for team sports and this organizational chart imposed by the Johnson's will ensure mediocrity. Obviously the greatest NFL coaches of all time would not have succeeded to the degree they have had they had such a system to deal with. IMO

8. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I know less than all of you guys about this but it seems to me that Belicheck is the rare exception that can organize/lead/manage all aspects of a team. So many people mistakenly think their HC should be able to do that. I'm no fan of the johnson's but it looks like they're trying to let people do what they're good at. Let's see how they round out coaching staffs but it looks promising.

Mac - scout, draft, free agents, contracts
    Gase - make the offense hum
    Williams - make the defense threatening
    Boyer - ST body blows to soften the game up for O and D

CotcheryFan and regan62072 like this.