Gregg Williams our new DC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jan 15, 2019.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I like that they had a plan and they stuck to it. They wanted to keep special team coach, & they got him. They wanted DC Williams & they got him. They didn't let any of the HC candidates change their plans. They didn't let public opinion dictate their choice of HC, they got an NFL experienced, offensive coach that has worked with QB'S,. SO FAR SO GOOD! This shows that they are working with Gase, whereas McCarthy, & Rhule were not willing to from what I've heard.

NYJFOREVER, Dom, tomdeb and 7 others like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Won't work. Someone needs to make final decision. EXAMPLE: What if the offense wants to go for it on forth down & defense wants to punt. Someone has to make the final decision.

3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

To be fair to Rex, in that exact situation in a playoff game, he went for it and iced the game.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Fat Rex?

5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Good point.

I liked Fat Rex.

Jeti likes this.
  6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

While I like the pick up but I can’t get too excited. Sure they play aggressive defense and blitz a lot. But he doesn’t always have a great record or defensive stats. Last year Browns defense did rank 30th in yards. Let just hope he comes in the right time with the right staff, with the right players. Hope we get a good blend of improving Offense and solid defense.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Yeah, horrible. Therefore Giselle will make sure Tom Cheat is wearing them at the next Met Gala.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The Jets hired Tom Skerritt? o_O

[​IMG]

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I like the pickup for a completely different reason. Guys who are super intense burn out over time. Williams gives us insurance in the form of a prior HC and a firebrand on the sidelines that isn't off his nut. If he hires Sal Alosi back, all bets are off. :)

10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

why would the DC get a vote whether they go for it or not. Makes zero sense

dawinner127 likes this.
  11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

While I don’t agree w the premise in this scenario the DC would have a say Bc if it fails his defense goes back out there. Perhaps against a short field or perhaps sacrificing 3 which would affect their playcalling depending on the score.

12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Trumaine Johnson played for him. Wonder if we'll get what we paid for now

He gets a lot of crap about bounty gate and he should. The film is damning, but IIRC correctly the Saints actually had the least unnecessary roughness calls that year. He was telling his team to hit with passion but legally

This team will benefit with his confidence. Players need to go into the game believing in the plan and that they can win -- not simply do what the coach says or you'll ride pine

Lastly, getting after the ball is a good thing -- takeaways are highly correlated to wins. Other stats may suffer from the gambles but at the end of the day it will be wins that matter

I'm very hopeful about this. Now I hope we pick up an edge who can put pressure on the QB and have enough versatility to drop into coverage, Allen? (not a college football expert)

13. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Welcome to our head coach of 2021

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

An edge rusher who can drop into coverage is no longer needed if we make the switch to a 4-3. The expectation is that will happen.

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I get the concerns about the guy and it could become an issue, but our defense was kind of lost out there this year. Despite what some posters say, I still believe Lee, Williams, and Trumaine are extremely talented players and they all underperformed as well as a defense as a whole.

We need someone to take the reigns of this defense and build a real foundation. We’ve spent countless draft picks on the defensive side of the ball and don’t have much to show for it. That needs to change.

If I were to speculate why the organization was adamant in bringing Williams in is because they didn’t like how attached at the hip Bowles was with Kacy Rodgers especially when he was underperforming. Since Gase like had issues with some of his staff in Miami, he was probably fine with bringing in Williams. I am sure he interviewed him and gave his approval. I don’t think the FO said you must hire this guy no matter what.

16. PennyandtheJets

I would say the Williams hire is all about accountability. If you aren't playing with max effort, this guy will call you out and bench you. He doesn't hold back in the media either. He called out CB Denzel Ward big time in the media for his tackling last season (I think it was during the preseason/training camp).

This kind of accountability to play hard all the time will really impact the whole defense.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

He has been around a block at least once & has been a DC for many, many teams which to me is a huge red flag :mad:

18. PennyandtheJets

Coaches, especially assistants/coordinators are constantly moving around. It is called the "coaching carousel". It is not a red flag that he has moved from team to team. He is a highly regarded coach and will help this defense.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Nope sorry I think your thinking is way, way off base a DC worth his salt is paid accordlingly (see Belly) & kept around year after year. Only when his D gets old or the team under performs is the change then made :mad: If all those others teams he was DC of thought that he was the Einstein of DCoaching one of them would have kept him around. No difference then a star player.:mad:

20. PennyandtheJets

Something to consider/remember...He only "lost" his job because there was a coaching change in Cleveland. He ran that team very well as the interim head coach and they WANTED to retain him.

I am not going to research each team he has coached for, but my guess is that he has had to change teams because of head coaching changes/firings at least a couple of times. Again, this is the nature of the coaching carousel.

#160 PennyandtheJets, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    NYJFOREVER and NYJetsO12 like this.