Eagles must move on from Wentz and stick with Foles

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by SOXXX2, Dec 23, 2018.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

2. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Okay good luck. I hope Foles goes to the Giants and burns them twice a year in the division.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Welcome to Jacksonville Nick Foles.... ;)

FJF likes this.
  5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

A lot of things depend on the team's personal relationship with Foles, something that is very rare in the NFL these days. They brought him in when there was absolutely no market for him, and have been nothing but supportive of him during the past two years. I believe that he truly feels a sense of loyalty to them as a result. He might trust them enough to sign a contract with him (exercising the mutual option for $20 million, for example), understanding that they'll then trade him to a reasonably attractive team (especially AFC team), like Jacksonville, Miami, or Denver, so they can get something for him, also allowing him to negotiate a longer-term deal with that team at that time. They could also decline the option, franchise him, and try to trade him, but that's a lot less friendly approach, and has a bigger financial risk for a team that is already over the cap for next year. Or, he could say "It's a business," exercise his buyout, and force them to franchise tag him, making it a much more adversarial and uncomfortable year if the Eagles don't find the deal they want for him. What the Eagles most fear, I imagine, is that he's going to be quarterbacking the Giants or the Redskins in either 2019 or 2020, and they'd like to avoid that if they can, something they can only do with his cooperation.

HomeoftheJets and Sam Hammer like this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm just glad they didn't actually turn the microwave on. That kind of thing makes me cringe.

7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The police found the dog shoved in the microwave and it was terrified and crying because it couldn't move or turn around. Again, again, what a bitch. She's probably distantly related to Michael Vick.

The funny part is that only thing that anyone gave half of a shit about in this dyke fight was the dog, lol.

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

9. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I think Foles is a much better QB than anyone gives him credit for. Early on, he suffered from the fact that he was a 3rd round pick who the Eagles never really intended to anoint as their franchise QB. As such, they never intended to stop looking for their guy unless Foles was going to prove himself the next major draft steal early on. He was hampered by the fact that the Eagles were coached by Chip Kelly, who's not a good NFL coach to begin with, and for some reason, didn't like Foles. He had a Pro Bowl year in 2013, but other than that, he never got another opportunity to prove that wasn't a fluke until last year's Super Bowl run.

That said, the Eagles are in a tough position, no matter what they do with Foles or Wentz next year. There's still question marks about both guys. Wentz has had two season ending injuries in back-to-back years. There's a question as to whether those were freak injuries, or if he has durability issues. There's also the question about whether or not he's recovered 100% from them. Also, despite his numbers from this past season not looking bad, the entire Eagles team was less-than-impressive for most of the year. I don't know if that can be placed on Wentz's performance or not, but if he can't get the Eagles back to at least 11 wins next year, there will be a lot of questions about him maybe being a one year wonder in 2017. It will be especially painful if Foles goes elsewhere and continues to succeed.

On the other hand, Wentz is the anointed one. The Eagles traded up to the #2 pick to get him, and he showed in his 2nd year that he was worth it. If they were to trade Wentz, what would happen Foles could not replicate his magic much longer and the Eagles slip back into mediocrity? Meanwhile Wentz goes onto success elsewhere. It would probably, with 20/20 hindsight, be looked at as one of the dumbest front office decisions in NFL history: The Eagles a #2 overall pick and stuck with a 3rd round journeyman QB based on the city's emotional attachment to the guy.

Best scenario for the Eagles is that Foles wants to stick around for another year. Then Pedersen does what Walsh and Seifert did with Montana and Young on the Niners: Keep going with Wentz if he's doing well, but don't hesitate to bench him and try out Foles again if Wentz starts struggling. It would be the best way to confirm that both guys are who people think they are.

Of course, I doubt that's going to happen. I'm pretty sure that Foles is going to be gone next year, but for his sake, I hope he ends up somewhere where he can hit the ground running rather than end up with yet another NFL graveyard franchise.

Decisions, decisions.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

From reading a few brief thins, it looks like the Eagles are trying to arrange a "sign and trade" for Foles, letting him give his preferred destination...

12. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Sam Hammer likes this.
  14. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

CotcheryFan and Sam Hammer like this.
  15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Foles has some Brady in him. He's done it, he's proven.

I almost want the Jets to trade for him but know it can't happen because we got Darnold last year.

16. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member