C.J. Anderson Compares Adam Gase To Sean McVay

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jan 14, 2019.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

As the rest of the NFL searches for the "next Sean McVay," Rams running back C.J. Anderson says he has only had one other coach who compares to him:

Adam Gase.

Anderson, who rushed for 123 yards and two touchdowns in Los Angeles' 30-22 NFC Divisional win over the Cowboys on Saturday, has seen a revival of sorts of his career under McVay since joining the Rams on Dec. 19.

He was asked by Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer what impresses him most about his new head coach and his answer included some high praise for the new head coach of the Jets.

"What people miss is him at 4:30 in the morning. When I pull up and I see his car already parked-and I'm there at 5:30-you know the preparation that Sean goes through. Super cerebral. Smart. Understands the game," Anderson said. "I think the biggest thing he does, he listens to the players. He listens to myself and [Andrew] Whitworth and what we say. And Jared [Goff], even though he is the ultimate play-caller. I think that's what people want and what people are trying to grab.

"There's only one other coach that's been like that for me, and that was Adam Gase. [McVay] and Adam Gase are probably the two smartest coaches I've been around when it comes to planning and preparation and trying to put their matchups together and their team in the best position."

Anderson, 27, played for Gase in his first two years in the NFL when the new Jets head coach was the offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos.

The running back had the best season of his career under Gase in 2014 when he rushed for 849 yards and eight touchdowns to earn his only Pro Bowl selection.

Gase's hire last week was met with some skepticism after he struggled as head coach of the Dolphins the last three seasons.

He received high praise from current Jets players and CAA-represented players, the same agency that represents Gase.

But Anderson is represented by Peter Schaffer of Authentic Athletix, so it will be difficult poking any holes into Anderson's comments.

King Koopa, NYJetsO12 and JetFanInPA like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think the idea that players don't like Gase is a bit overblown. He may not be good with the press, but who cares if he wins.

3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Oh Jesus please, even Bowles could coach the Rams to where they are now, they are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, and there defense is a huge disappointment.

Spare me the Gase comparison, like all the other idiot Jet coaches he'll be unemployed in a few years.

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Gase didn't coach C.J. on the Rams...He was on the Broncos or are you saying McVay is a bad coach? I don't care how good a team is, if you can or can't coach it will show to players! Spare me the negativity!

#4 BudJet, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    egelband and FJF like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It takes more than being brainy at xs and os to be successful

Did Gase self destruct in Miami or was it a combination of things??

Lots of people get hired and fired in this League and in life for that matter

The question is whether you learn from your failures

I hope to see some enthusiasm at 2PM today from our Type A friend...Todd Bowles came across like he needed some Ex Lax ahahaha

A demand for winning, a Commitment To Excellence,,if Gase can deliver we will be OK

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  6. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I hope he is Belichik-like. The press would be furious

#6 jdon, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    nycarl and pdxdrew like this.
  7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

It was the wrong job for him, pure and simple. Pete Carroll had 2 jobs before it worked out for him

egelband likes this.
  8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Tough shit on the press, if he coaches like Belichik...I'll take it.:)

egelband, abc, pdxdrew and 1 other person like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No I get that...bad fit

Hope this new gig works

egelband, jdon and BudJet like this.
  10. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Being "the first person in the building" is the most overused and over hyped phrase in sports.

Mark Sanchez was the first guy in the building.

11. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I have done a 180 since I initially processed the hiring of Gase. At first I hated it like most of the rest of you. But the more I hear, I think (and God I really, really hope) that the Jets may have gotten it right this time.

Pepsiguy5, BudJet and rohirrim665 like this.
  12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Three years ago Gase was McVay. Young innovative mind etc. For a player to compare him to McVay is great. I'll put a positive for Gase here.

As for Miami etc. Sometimes good coaches get hurt by other things. Maybe Gase shouldn't have had control over personnel. Add in Tannebaum was the pseudo gm and we saw how that unraveled with the Jets. Plus a first time head coach learning on the fly I think he took on more than he could chew.

Coming here first you hope he learned from that experience. Gase is who he is. He isn't going to change. That being said maybe he can learn how to adapt and that will help him. He's not shopping for the groceries. He'll have unput but he can focus more on the team and you hope he sees what he did well and didn't do well as a coach and adapts there too.

I can't say I'm onb board with Gase yet but I have softened knowing not to long ago he was Sean McVay and he will have less on his plate. Does that translate in stop two. Maybe maybe not. Hopefully for us he does but we'll see. Lets hope he is not Pete Carroll, Rex Ryan or Eric Mangini after they got fired.

FJF likes this.
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agree and being fired in the NFL is not necessarily the end all be all. Bellicheck was fired, Andy Reid was fired, Tony Dungy was fired, Gruden was traded/fired, Pete Caroll was fired.

I think the issue in Miami was MUCH larger than Adam Gase. I hope I am right and he is an amazing coach, but looking at the Dolphins history and ownership, it's hard not to see the dysfunction throughout the entire building

BudJet likes this.
  14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

What does coaching the Rams have to do with Adam Gase? Lol

Did you read the article? CJ Anderson was asked about his head coach, McVay, and he commented that the only other coach he knows that has the same mindset and work ethic as McVay is Gase. What does that have to do with the Rams having a load of talent and a disappointing defense?

Lol

jixxjr, BudJet, Ralebird and 3 others like this.
  15. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Right because Jeff Fisher did so well with them.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It's quite apparent that those who feel more comfortable continuing to hate on Gase will dismiss or completely mis interprete what the player was saying. CJ was lauding McVay and brought Gase as the only other coach similar in smarts and knowledge. Period end of story. Good for Gase. We don't know how that will translate for the Jets but good to know we don't have an idiot that will be overcoached with x and o at every turn.

#16 LAJet, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Skicats, BudJet, egelband and 4 others like this.
  17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If they got it right, it would be by God's intervention.

By all accounts Gase was 3rd on their list.

18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I coud be wrong but I'm under the impression that ALL NFL head coaches are workaholics that spend crazy hours at work. It's not anything unique to a handful of individuals.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

CJ's comment can only be taken as a plus; he's sticking his neck out

I like the hire but time will tell

I would like to think that Gase had the nads not to take the first job offer, and that he (like McCarthy supposedly) felt comfortable enough with Macc as GM (though that one befuddles me)
    If he and Macc see eye-to-eye and can build a team with good chemistry, we'll all be laughing at Miami

20. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure Jeremy Bates could do with the Rams offense the same thing McVay is doing.

LAJet likes this.