Rhule Gives His Side of the Story

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HomeoftheJets, Jan 11, 2019.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

His job?....Their staff? . Checks with stripes. . If you believe in the guy, act it.

wonder who his staff would've been?....

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The jets saw Bowles fire assistants after 2 years, I’m glad they are asking Gase to bring in people that have some kind of football knowledge.

This is good for our ST coach, hopefully he can stay on board.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yeah and his connections were from the 2012 Giants.

From there you could gather Kevin Gilbride likely would have been the OC, and Jeff Dixon being some sort of another offensive assistant.

Rhule just doesn't have the connects yet, unless someone like Coughlin was going to "help" in some way.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That’s my point — don’t trust the coaches staff judgement then don’t hire the coach.

KurtTheJetsFan and Red Menace like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Kinda hope Kevin Greene - LB coach sticks around also

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The packers kept petine as dc before they hired lafleaur . With new coaches it’s not that outlandish to want some say over the staff. And a coach jumping from college to pros. I don’t think the team is out of line. I also don’t blame him for not taking it if he is that resolved to bringing his crew with him. But I think he may be pumping the situation up to be more than it was to build himself up some more .
    I doubt he was even offered the job. I think somewhere in the interview they mentioned pairing him with an oc they had in mind and the story grew from there

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Didn’t mean to quote you but the point remains..

It sounds like the Jets weren’t happy with his staff and moved on, which should be a standard interview process.

KurtTheJetsFan, Red Menace and FJF like this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s actually more likely.and now he is going all stewie on American idol

I know I watch too much family guy

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Absolutely right on the money. This leadership trusted Bowles with the task of selecting talented coaching. Not only was that the worst mistake ever, Bowles further managed to retain the incompetent ones and fire the good one . If I'm the owner I want veto power on key hires and fires. Well done.

KurtTheJetsFan and Red Menace like this.
  10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I think there is a sliding scale there.

I would trust a guy like McCarthy or John Harbaugh or the like to pick his own coaches.

Not sure I'd trust a college coach with limited ties to the NFL to pick his coaches. If he plan was to bring in his whole staff from Baylor as opposed to looking at some viable assistants already in the NFL?

I still might want the coach but I'd want to put guidelines on his staff.

#30 Rollo Tomassi, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    ColoradoContrails, Red Menace and FJF like this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yep and that's exactly what happened. They didn't hire the guy that put together a shitty staff. That was what led to them not trusting his judgement, it's not that they aren't allowing coaches to hire their own staff, they just thought this guy's picks were weak.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I certainly don't see this as a black/white thing but rather a shade of gray that Rhule and the Jets were unable to define. (Kind of like being unable to define the difference between green and Kelly green.)

Surely a coach needs to be comfortable with his assistants but if he was unwilling to accept certain members of the staff (Boyer perhaps) that management wanted to retain, that may have been the problem.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If we wanted the job the rest of it would work itself out. He didn't want it or they decided they didn't want him.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think as time passes more of what actually happened will come out. I think Rhule will get an NFL HC job in the not so distant future. I also think the Jets have more reason to lie about this than him but thats my opinion.

15. JetBlue

It’s not a bad thing at all, which is why you go through the interview process to determine the coach’s philosophy and coordinator picks. Don’t agree with those picks then don’t hire the coach.

But that’s different than, say, the FO wanting to pick the coordinators and forcing them on the coach.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. JetBlue

It’s not about getting along. If the OC and DC have different philosophies than the coach, how do you evaluate the coach if the offense or defense doesn’t perform? Not the coaches fault entirely, he wanted a different offense or defense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side Kirk Cousins was plan A at QB so maybe the Jets just lucked into a good coach also.

JetBlue likes this.
  18. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I disagree

Bowles record in composing and stubbornly keeping an abysmal coaching staff is reason enough to support at least this aspect of the decision regarding a potential new coach with very little NFL experience, assuming it is true

Also, Rhule has to cover his ass with Baylor recruits and alumni, so I could see him spinning it his way more than he Jets

LAJet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

If Rhule says it and McCarthy says it and who knows possibly other coaching candidates say it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,<--------that was for Jetophile lol

20. I guess im not really understanding what the point or “rub” is?

Bowles CS all 25 of them were absolute garbage. Why wouldnt the jets try to do everything in their power to avoid this happening again? Further every team in the NFL at least asks the question of who a candidate plans to bring in for a staff.

Theres not even really anything to “lie” about.