Rhule Gives His Side of the Story

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HomeoftheJets, Jan 11, 2019.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If CJ and Mikey Mac are meddling in staff hires, will we still end up with Loggains?

CBG, Cman68 and Sec124DieHard like this.
  2. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

The fact that this guy was even strongly considered for the HC
    position is a testament of Mac & Johnson's incompetence!!!

tomdeb, Jets69 and Mr mittens like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am actually siding with NYJ management in terms of this. Sorry Rhule, first year on the job you ain't bring your unknown coaches to "help" this team. Sure, you want to give them exposure, but if he hired Monken like the rumors suggested, eventually he could've had more of his own guys in the building. I think the assistant coaches on O was the biggest problem.

Dorsey is picking their HCs assistant coaches for CLE

jetfan59, Cidusii, apjbfc and 10 others like this.
  4. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

Good stuff.... i can see both sides... sure he wants freedom to pick his staff, but the flipside is he was being considered for a position that in many ways his resume says he isnt qualified for. Sometimes you have to concede a bit, and he chose not to. Nothing wrong with that.

Gase probably has more freedom to pick his own staff due to his experience and nfl connections.

Dont know anything about Loggains, but that picture floatin around screams embarassment on the sidelines

GQMartin, Mogriffjr, Cman68 and 4 others like this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

From everything I've heard, this guy will be a HC in the league soon and people think he will be a very good one.

Maybe not yet, but soon.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

sounds more than a tad bit bitter.

#6 Harpua, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Mr mittens and Red Menace like this.
  7. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

Fair enough and maybe so, but there are legitamate concerns about his lack of nfl experience and nfl connections. If he wanted to bring his baylor staff with him and the jets wanted some more nfl flavor on the staff to help offset the cons associated with Rhule, like a previous poster said, im ok with that.
    Likewise, i have no problem with Rhule stciking to his convictions as well

Ralebird and Noam like this.
  8. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

If CJ and Mac were going to put him on a leash before even offering the guy a job, why bother and waste everyone's time? That means they don't think he is qualified and he doesn't have the contacts to succeed as an NFL head coach. I understand bringing the guy in for another position in the organization, but head honcho? No way. Stupid.

Cman68 likes this.
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If you don’t trust a coaches judgement for his own coordinators what would you trust about him to actually coach the team?

Not letting a coach pick his own coordinators is like not letting a GM pick his coach. And we know the board’s overwhelming opinion on that dynamic.

CBG, Cman68, 94Abraham and 1 other person like this.
  10. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

And, who is to say Gase is picking his own staff?

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I could see if the Johnsons and Macc had a clear vision for the kind of team image they want and the newly hired HC was going to pick staff that did't support that identity, but the Jets don't have an identity - other than SOJ. Further, they've settled on a HC and believe he's knowledgeable, so why wouldn't you trust him to pick guys he thinks he works well with? This is simply more meddling by guys who don't know what they're doing. SOJ.

CBG likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That is Rhule's side of the story. I'm skeptical

13. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Good. These nepotism failure fests need to end. This was a reason why we didn’t get McCarthy and why he didn’t take the Cleveland job.

The FO and Mac have in mind who they want as coordinators. Get the best possible individuals for the position, those with experience, and those that have had success.

It was said that one of the reasons why we got Gase is due to the fact he agreed to the above structure. Oh, Matt Rhule, you are about to become a first time HC in the NFL and you want to bring your OC and DC from Baylor or Temple? No, fuck yourself dude. That sounds like the fast track to failure.

Make these individuals get along. If you cannot be hired as a coach and get along with other professionals and have to hire your own friends, sorry, get bent. You get paid enough, you can suck it up and grow with other individuals as a cohesive unit. That’s your god damn job. Sure, some people may be hard to work with. But, that is any job. Communicate and get on the same page. Cut the robot nepotism retread failure bullshit.

For this reason, we won’t be getting the little dyke that was Miami’s OC.

Jets81 and Red Menace like this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Hope you are correct. Loggains track record when without Gase is horrendous. He’s being granted in interview for HC by the Phins. Let’s hope that it works out for him.

apjbfc and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Martin&theJETS

I can’t remember the source, but I think a contingency of Gase being hired was he was willing to accept the FO putting together his staff instead of him hand picking. That was something McCarthy was against, as was Rhule, as I’m sure Arians would have been too had he even been an option.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s an interesting strategy by the Jets and I think I like it. Find the best available for each job. They’ve clearly prioritized Darnolds development which is great. I only question Gace’s ability to play nice with an outside OC/DC, and the ramifications for the team if he can’t.

17. He didn't have anybody w. any experience to run the offense or more importantly develop Darnold. He's gotta realize how important that is.It's not like they were forcing a whole staff on him; One position that greatly affects where the franchise currently is at.

I'm sorry...I take the jets side on this. If you're gonna have tunnel vision about the very organization you are going into, can't recognize you don't have anybody w. the resume necessary to develop Darnold & as such aren't willing to make a concession...yeah..good luck finishing 4th in the big 12 every season buddy.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

From what I read, Chris and Mac wanted to make sure Darnolds development was taken care of rather than take a chance on an unknown offensive coordinator who may or may not be able to develop him. Can’t say that’s a bad thing.

19. Martin&theJETS

He better hope because he’ll probably never be a HC in the NFL again if it goes south. I just don’t get why people never learn from their past mistakes.

Why would you take all the personnel with you that led to your firing? It would be like Bowles getting a HC gig and taking Rodgers and Bates with him as DC and OC. That will end in failure too. Be smarter.

johnny and barfolomew like this.
  20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It's not about not letting them pick staff, it's about bringing in complete unknowns to the NFL level. Every person they interviewed explained the staff they would bring in, and Rhule's staff was not up to snuff with the others.

Why should they blindly trust a college coach's judgement, without analyzing his plan and staff choices? Of course that factors in, and IMO a good reason to not hire him. If Gase, postulated the same staff Rhule wanted, he would have been overruled as well.

#20 Sam Hammer, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019