The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Of course I think he let him do it. He's the head coach, if he doesn't want his QB to make audibles, he doesn't let him. This is professional football. These are your criticisms anyway, I'm just asking you how you think it went down and how you reconcile contradictory criticisms.

---

Your last point is silly though. You are right the Jets shit hasn't worked in forever. But they've taken countless chances on inexperienced coaches. Over and over, that's all they do. The last time they hired a proven, experienced winner was Parcells in 1997 and it's also the last time we had a coach worth a damn. You want to continue with the current plan of hiring flash-in-the-pan assistants though

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I haven’t seen one post making McCarthy out to be Lombardi.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

It goes to show you can't believe all that you hear. 2days ago J. Lacanfora said that M.McCarthy wouldn't be taking the Jets job. Now today they're saying that the only job he wants is the Jets.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Do you mean QBs don't get to make prospective HCs and OCs go to the whiteboard and diagram plays or watch film and diagnose why a play is flawed or didn't work? ;)

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is extreme naivety. He wasn't calling audibles. He was flat out dismissing McCarthy as a play-caller.

“I guess McCarthy called in a play, and Aaron was kind of like, ‘Nah,’” Lewis said. “He gave a direction and a protection to the line, and went. It was a four-minute offense, he threw a 40-yard bomb for a completion. I’m like, ‘What’s really going on?’ I’ve never seen anything like that before in my life.”

“I feel like Aaron had his own set of things that he wanted to do, then obviously McCarthy had his things that he wanted to do. I just think there was a little dysfunction.”

Does this sound like a guy calling an audible? Come on man. You have McCarthy blinders on which I can't even believe is a real thing.

6. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

do you think that McCarthy as HC and Gase as OC could work?

Gase could help to update Mccarthy's scheme, and possibly reestablish himself as a brilliant offensive young mind and go for a HC job after next season and when he leaves Mccarthy will have an updated tweaks to his system

7. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

When Sam Darnold becomes as skilled as Aaron Rodgers, I'll start worrying about McCarthy's playcalling. For now we need a coach that can take a young, inexperienced NFL team with a still green QB and turn them into a legit contender. We don't have the team in place to risk it all on a HC that could easily become Steve Spurrier...

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

So it appears to be between McCarthy, Rhule, Monken and Gase. Can't say anyone of them turn the needle for me. They seem to have pros and cons. Be interesting to see where we go. Either way I am ready to know and get our offseason planning going. Brief breakdown:

1. McCarthy: Seems only interested in the Jets job. Proven winner who has developed qbs. His system might have gotten stale in Green Bay. I like his resume. Would like to see him bring in a known d coordinator and a young offensive mind to go along with his playbook and add more current concepts. I'd be ok with him.

2. Rhule: Baylor coach who seems to build programs. Only one year in the NFL. I like what I've heard of him but am nervous with limited NFL experience. Sounds like a bright guy who would surround himself with the right people. Worked closely with Robby Anderson in college. Seems to know talent. See if he makes the jump.

3. Monken: Three year head coach at Southern Miss. Found Ito Smith, Jalen Richard and Nick Mullins. Left for the Tampa OC job and when Koeter gave up playcalling the offense did well. Fear he went 13-25 at a small school. Only three years as a hc. If we hired McCarthy I'd like him as OC. Not sure as a coach yet.

4. Gase: 23-25 as Dolphins coach. Seemed to get alot out of little talent with them. Young considered a great offensive mind. I see alot of Josh McDaniels in him. Young guy who thinks he knows it all. Is stubborn and rubs players the wrong way. I think he has the potential to be a good coach but needs to learn from his mistakes. Maybe be best for him to either be an oc for a year or two or sit out a year to learn from his mistakes. Only three years in Miami. I think he upset Ross along the way but teams do need patience too. Can't say I'm thrilled with him but if he learned from his mistakes he could be a diamond in the rough.

Four known guys. Maybe Bienmy, Richard or one of the other guys is a finalists and they can't say because they are still playing. Who knows. Either way I'm ready to learn who it will be and the coaching staff. Wondering where we are now if anyone has a favorite or someone they won't touch.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I know Gase gets a lot of hate around here, but the guy did go nearly .500 with some of the worst QB play in the league and the best QB he had in his tenure in Miami was Tannenhill so I think he is getting a little bit of a raw deal. That being said, He still falls behind Rhule, Monken, and McCarthy in terms of Coaches that I want.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Why are we taking reports as gospel at this point? Chris Johnson said BEFORE the interview process that coaches who want full control will not be considered. McCarthy's people had to have known this going into the interview with the Jets and if they didn't this was something the Jets and McCarthy had to have discussed through the interview process. McCarthy can't just go back to the Jets and counter with some asinine request like full control...

Haven't we literally seen everything surrounding McCarthy has been fake news over the last week?

The only thing we definitely know is that the Jets completed the interview with him last week.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I'll say it could be one of the best things this franchise has done in years. I'll also say that it also could be maintaining the status quo, in that we hired yet another conservative HC, even if it would be different in that we were hiring an experienced offensive HC for the first time in decades and for only the 2nd time in our entire history.

I was all in on McCarthy's hiring for a while, but not now. I believe the criticisms of his play design, lack of easy throws for the QB, lack of combination routes, his conservatism, his game and clock management are valid. Some coaches are stubborn and refuse to change or grow. Their insecurities or ego won't allow them to. Their failures are almost always someone else's fault...poor execution or not having enough talent or the right kind of talent to properly execute their "system."

I'm also not sure that I believe that McCarthy did all that much to develop Rodgers. Yes, he fell in his draft, but he was still pretty highly thought of and obviously had a lot of natural talent and athleticism/mobility. Even if McCarthy did mold Rodgers, why didn't he evolve with Rodgers. When other OCs/HCs give their QBs some easy throws to start a game to get him into a rhythm/groove and build confidence, why not add that to your offense, particularly when you know that your offense lives or dies by the pass? Similarly, when other OC/HCs have designed more routes in plays and have more combination routes in their plays to scheme WRs open, and you no longer have a bunch of WRs who can get open on their own on every play, why not change your playbook to include more of those plays to make things easier on your QB, your OL, your WRs and offense in general? If he's such a QB guru, once he sees that his QB became so great, so successful, why not make things easier on him when he asks for some help or to add some routes or new plays? Does he think that's beneath him or not up to what the NFL should be? When he sees it working for a lot of other teams, why wouldn't he at least try it? IMO that shows a stubborn, closed mind, one that has to be right, and it's a point of honor or self respect that he has to win using his plays and the way that he has always done things. It shows a mindset of "this has always worked in the past, why shouldn't it work now?" and that mindset isn't based in reality or looking at things objectively. It's a very subjective mindset.

Further, without Rodgers and all the great receivers that they've had, how many games would McCarthy have won, how many division championships would he have won with his system? I now believe that he would have been an exceedingly mediocre HC, and probably would have a sub-.500 W-L percentage.

#2531 NCJetsfan, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Noam likes this.
  12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Aaron Rodgers sounds like a huge pain in the ass if that is the case.

Is McCarthy the perfect head coach? No and none of them are. I view McCarthy as an excellent head coach for this team which desperately needs someone who has proven that he can coach QBs. Every coach faces scrutiny over play-calling. This is nothing new in the NFL. Let's not act like it is.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/20/nfl-rams-chiefs-sean-mcvay-play-calling-week-11/

Even the second coming McVay faced criticism earlier this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...decision-to-go-for-it-on-fourth-down-vs-colts

Even the devil has been questioned over playcalling.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/12/15/andy-reid-playcalling-criticism-chiefs-chargers-week-15/

Know that fancy offense in KC this season? Andy Reid is among the elites has been questioned too.

#2532 PennyandtheJets, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Anyone suggesting that Bowles be retained for another year because they're unhappy with the search should be permanently banned from this site and all Jets fan sites.

14. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

“Mike’s one of the best coaches I’ve ever gone up against.” - bill belichick

I'll take his opinion over anyone on the packers.

I want McCarthy merely because he's the best candidate available. This team needs experience not experimentation

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Give me:

Rhule HC
    Monken OC

Monken HC
    _____ OC

McCarthy HC
    Monken OC

In short, it's clear I believe Monken should be on the staff in some capacity.

16. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

That was me. But hey I get it, Homers gonna homer. Forget about the future, and worry about now with "coaching tree" philosophies and next <insert guy who hasn't won a playoff game yet here> and he's damn handsome. He's an offensive innovator. You know, stupid homery shit like that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

17. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

What if Harbaugh doesn't become available? What if he does, but he doesn't want to coach the Jets? Now you've wasted another year on a pipe dream and still have no head coach. Unless, you truly think Todd Bowles will suddenly become some kind of QB mentor we never knew he was.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lacanfora is a hack

CBG and FJF like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

You know that I've been one of the most outspoken posters saying what we need most is an experienced HC. I still think that is a strong need, but it needs to be the right experienced HC. I now have very strong doubts that McCarthy is the right experienced HC. Based on reports, I don't think he would bring in a quality CS, and that's one of the supposed pluses with an experienced HC (that he knows more coaches, has more contacts and should be able to put together a quality staff). Do you think he had a quality CS in GB? I think it was solid in some ways (OL, WRs, and maybe RBs). I think the overriding offensive philosophy is flawed and for the most part, the defensive CS was flawed and inadequate.

If McCarthy has not already tweaked his offensive philosophy/system or has no plans to adapt to Sam and the talent the Jets have, I don't think he'll be much more successful than Bowles. We don't have even one WR, much less the whole group who can get open by themselves on every play. We don't have even the talent or technique the OL in GB had, much less a topnotch OL. I think he'd stop the sloppy play and senseless penalties, and may be able to make more adjustments, and that might result in another win or 2. But if it's true that his game and clock management are about the same as Bowles, and if he's even remotely close to being as conservative as Bowles is, then we'd be hating him by mid-season because we'd be losing games we should have won.

IMO whether McCarthy should be hired hinges entirely on his assessment of his own system, whether he has or will make changes to it to fit our players and whom he plans to hire for his CS. If he answers those questions correctly, then his experience will be worthwhile and will contribute to success here. If he doesn't, then he's no better than a first-time HC and may as well be one, because he won't have learned a darn thing from his experience.

Noam likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

No coach, we call that Spider Y 2 Banana

FJF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.