And the New York Jets take at #3....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Sid Youngelman, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

FA has several pass rushers that is if we get them interested to come to the Jets.

Jets don’t have a 2nd rd pick and though we haven’t had much success with 2nd pick over the years, it may not mean much, however if we can trade down, we can build back to back offensive talents for Darnold, an OL and WR that would be a good step in the right direction.

I don’t have much faith in Mac but he has to be smart with the $ we have and save for next year too.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're right that's not many, but there are a lot of players in the NFL that I know little or nothing about. I don't keep up with other teams that much. Of those I Iisted, I remember some of them when they were in the draft, others I scanned the FA list and was primarily looking only for players 27 and younger and then looked at those teams' depth charts. If players older than 27 are included and they easily could be to be a stopgap upgrade for 3-4 years, the list probably would be bigger. There are probably some other younger players as well who would be upgrades over Dozier, Harrison and Qvale.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Talk about nailing your mid round picks as a GM. Ballard from the Colts got Leonard, an All-Pro as a rookie, Smith on many All Rookie teams and Marlon Mack last year. Ballard's killing it. Mac needs to watch and learn.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Definitely trade down and recoup the 2019 2nd rounder the Jets gave up in the Darnold trade. Then use the traded down 1st on a LT and the 2nd on either another OL or a WR to help Darnold keep progressing.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Agreed, but there is a difference between picking who is considered to be the best pick at the time of the draft and who pans out to be the best. Leonard Williams for example was by far the BPA in that draft but it hasn't resulted in top tier production. I think team fit is important too.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Also another big question: does our next head coach want to run a multiple 3-4 system or are we moving to something else like a 4-3? I would think it kind of matters to Macagnan that we have continuity on the defense so I imagine we will try to stay put there. However it makes me wonder if we did change to a 4-3, we could put Leonard Williams at DT, get a Demarcus Lawerence to play DE, then maybe it would make sense to get like a Quinnen Williams. That would be a scary good defensive line at that point!

7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Good News for the Jets. Haskins just declared for the draft. Here's hoping that he lights it up in the combine and teams get desperate to leap frog each other.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Several mock drafts have the Jets trading down with the Jags......

9. mrjet80

I think after last night's game Jonah Williams stock may have dipped slightly. He did OK but the Alabama O Line was manhandled several times....and his ability to handle real pass rushers and shut them down will come into question. I still think he's a first round selection but maybe not at # 3......

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hope Macc can find a trade partner as the team has many needs to address.

11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

TRADE DOWN! Don't care about trade chart. Get the best deal possible and take it. All things are created equal after Bosa and Allen. We need an infusion of respectable players. Get more picks and draft players with high floors.....

Not sold on Jonah, he doesn't seem dominant enough at his level. But the good thing about lineman is if they don't work at one spot, you can move them around and find a spot. Just not at pick 3.

mrjet80 and Sam Hammer like this.
  12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Too much tied up in the DL. That method failed miserably and is not the right answer.

13. mrjet80

I agree with part of what he said though.........sign Lawrence if possible but then leave L. Williams and let's see if having Lawrence next to him elevates his play. Then draft a guy like Allen for OLB.......I bet this would fix the defense.

14. mrjet80

One guy I took notice of was the center - Pierschbacher. He had the best game of the 5 starters on the line........third round maybe ? He could anchor the middle for the next decade.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'll drink to that. Maybe we can get our next Brick and Mangold in this draft.

16. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Allen would be sweet. Not big on taking another DL. It depends on 3-4 or 4-3 but we cannot tie up so much money on one position. You simply cannot keep multiple players, let alone 3 players, at the same position for huge money contracts. If Williams goes, then all of our 1st round DLs within the last 7ish years are off the team. If those picks were instead used on WR, OL, CB, then you can spread the money around. Cannot have $150+m plus tied up on the DL.

17. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

i said this about Pierschbacher a couple of weeks ago but I just don't know if he will be there still for our 1st 3rd Round Pick

18. mrjet80

That's correct. A lot of people have floated trading L. Williams and I'm not sure why. Yes he has a huge cap hit coming but that can be renegotiated at some point down the road. First, I'd like to see how he plays with a guy like Lawrence next to him. If the Jets were to stay put and take Allen or trade down and get a guy like Ferrel or Sweat to put at OLB - keep Lawrence at DE - now you're talking about a defense that can do damage and actually put games away.

I'm starting to think maybe the Jets answers for LT or even RT are not in this coming draft. If the draft is loaded with pass rushers - which is a huge need even though it's not on the offensive side of the ball - have at it. Rebuild the interior of the OL, get a skill player or two in FA and rounds 3-4 or round 2 if a trade down and see what happens. It's not like Beechum is a turnstile . Is he meh ? Sure but not a gaping hole and his price tag is reasonable. Look at LT in 2020....

Fix what you can this offseason and play to the draft's strengths....

Sam Hammer likes this.
  19. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Lawrence most likely will be tag by the Cowboys.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

DO NOT TRADE DOWN UNLESS YOU ARE 100% CERTAIN THAT THERE ARE NO STARS WORTH TAKING AT #3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay at #3....get a tackle that is can't miss for the OL or a LB/DE/DT who is also can't-miss. Doesn't have to be an All-Pro right off the bat but can't have any character issues, can't be a guy who takes plays off, must be fundamentally sound and doesn't take dumb penalties.

Again....solid B+ is fine....can't be a guy you THINK is an A but turns out to be a C-.