The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You mean McCarthy Monken or bust

2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Thems the rules.

3. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ardinals-permission-interview-kliff-kingsbury

^^^I understand their obvious interest since they just signed Kingsbury to be their OC, but it is still rather surprising since it is a college blocking one of their assistants from even being able to interview for a HC job in the NFL. I can't remember too many times when this has happened. Even Saban let Sark leave, under similar circumstances, for the NFL and that was just to become the Falcons OC.

Per Schefter:

USC has balked at giving permission to the New York Jets and Arizona Cardinals to interview Trojans offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, league sources told ESPN.

Sources said a perfect storm of the NFL's new enforcement of an old rule has led to the situation where the Jets and Cardinals can't talk to one of their head-coaching candidates.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We know. We discussed it in the coaching thread and the kingsbury thread.

K'OB and Jets69 like this.
  5. abc

abc Well-Known Member

^^^ no "we" haven't.

6. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Well, well, well, since we have no football to discuss, let's argue about dogs peeing on rocks. :D

7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Really hope we take the time to meet with Rhule before committing to McCarthy.

8. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Seventy-nine freaking pages on this subject? Holy schnikes! I can't read the whole thing, but I'm taking this as an indication of how deeply the Todd Bowles blunderfest cut into the hearts of the fan base. And also how completely freaking immune to that the whole Woody Johnson mgmt crew is. And especially when you consider Bowles still has 2 more years remaining on his contract. Seriously, a WTF? of Brobdingnagian proportion. But I digress.

#1568 LarryAlRalph, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. It's not lame at all. Why should they let NFL teams speak with him. They just hired him and obviously want him there. He's not ready for the NFL anyway, and I'm glad that he isn't an option. He was a terrible HC at Texas Tech and has shown nothing to deserve being interviewed as a HC in the NFL.

10. NCJetsfan

If it comes down to one or the other, I'd rather they interview Monken over Rhule, but I'd love it if they could talk to both of them before they make their decision.

11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I think Kingsbury should be an OC first before a head coach.

And yes he can still be interviewed but USC is going to want to be compensated for it. And they're probably going to want compensation if he ends up being hired by an NFL team as a DC or OC

If we get McCarthy onboard I would love to have him sit down with Kingsbury to discuss a potential OC role

12. NCJetsfan

How can he still be interviewed? USC has refused permission to interview him.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree that he’s not ready, I also don’t disagree that it’s not lame. If he wanted to come to NFL he shouldn’t have accepted the job at USC last month.

However I do disagree that he’s shown nothing to deserve an interview. He’s widely seen as one of the most innovative offensive minds in the game and that in and of itself is worthy of interviewing for open positions, even if it’s just to get his brain picked by teams.

I do think his resume and the fact that like you said he’s probably not ready to be an NFL HC would’ve ultimately held him back this year though.

14. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Hypothetically if the Jets really really wanted this guy in their organization...what are they supposed to just walk away?

Basically USC is saying they want to be bribed. This is how business gets done. Everywhere. I was refused permission to date my wife too:p

If the Jets don't want him bad enough, then who cares walk away

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Apparently, its a new rule

At last month’s NFL owners meetings in Dallas, league officials informed team executives that they now had to request permission from college athletic directors to interview college coaches. Not doing so would be considered “conduct detrimental” and the NFL then could dock draft picks from teams, sources said.

So we have to stop away if we don't want to have even less picks

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Dude enjoy your playoff game, don't get sucked into our shitshow.

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

ITS BEEN DISCUSSED before but my doc says to let things out ----> so tell me what reputable coach is going to take the New York Jet Head Coaching job knowing that Mac might be a year or 2 away from being fired ? I don't think we have a shot at a coach who has done this before unless its a REALLY bad choice or unless its a guy on our B or C list. So long as the coach wins I will not care but my expectations in this search are beyond low.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

My ban was never lifted. I demand reparations in the form of public apology, moderatorship and a custom jersey (white) of my choosing.

No sweat. If that’s the worst that happens this weekend then I had a good weekend.

Brook! likes this.
  19. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I actually deleted your ban. But the glitch in the software kept your ban open. I asked help from big boss Petro. That said, sorry for not picking up your humor. I owe you one. Feel free to go on a political tirade on BS Forum. Lol. :)

NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.