And the New York Jets take at #3....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Sid Youngelman, Jan 1, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A resounding NO to any defensive player who isn't an edge rusher/OLB prospect. Can't believe anyone would want to draft a DT.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

it looks like next year is going to be QB heavy like 2018 so there will likely be plenty of trade possibilities on days 1 and 2......so it would behoove the jets to try and get a couple extra picks for NEXT year in their pockets so they could be in barter position. Not for a QB of course but for other highly rated players. i believe OL will be better represented in 2020 rather than next april.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

unreal - the jets can save their draft budget and just follow this fukin board. wish we had kept track of every pick they made over the years and compared it with board consensus at that time.

Bet anyone that this boards selections would have come ahead if measured in # of starters, probowls, length of career, etc etc.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

In the 2019 NFL Jets draft as an instance -- need and BPA co-align so I think Lawrence is a fine example here.

5. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

OL will be stacked at the top for LT prospects if a couple underclassmen decide to declare for 2020. Top 2 picks are going to be Tua and Fromm, with Herbert somewhere in the early to mid 1st range barring injury and 2021 is going to be Lawrence and Fields. It will allow elite OT prospects to fall down over the next couple years

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

It is crazy to draft an OT at #3.....it's all about value and not reaching. I've been studying the NFL draft for multiple decades and it's not the way to go.

BTW, no nobody gave us the #3 pick, the inept 2018 Jet's earned it all by themselves.

Your not going to help Sam at #3, your process is backwards. We can address the pass rush right at #3 with the proper value and Offensive targets and line in FA.

#46 WW85, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I'll admit that I'm not all that up to date on college football. I tend not to watch until later in the season, if at all, and don't really pay much attention to it beyond a couple of teams that only tend to flirt with national relevancy every so often, so I don't know who to look at as a potential picks and whatnot. I usually just follow the recommendations I read on forums and whatnot, as that's the only information I get on the college game beyond what the pundits on TV, who are paid to push a certain agenda, are saying.

So, that said, whatever OL help there is available in the draft, the Jets need to find it and draft it. Obviously it's not going to be the only thing they do, but it needs to be a significant priority so that, if a decent player is there for the taking, they're drafting accordingly.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

It's sad but true, some of you guys have made much better judgements before the draft than Jet's management.

Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams were no brainer picks, anyone could have made. The Jets have really sucked picking players in later rounds.

sackexchange and Harpua like this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

For some reason after reading this the original Star Trek theme popped into my head............

10. NCJetsfan

I agree that the Jets need to get what they can out of this draft with regards to the OL (mainly a LT and C, but they can also upgrade depth all along the OL), but they may have to wait until next year to significantly upgrade the OL especially if they can't trade down and take an edge rusher with their #1 pick. They might be able to get a good OG or C prospect with their 1st pick of the 3rd round, but it's doubtful. They'll probably just be able to upgrade depth. It might work out better for them if they sign a C and LG in FA, take the LT if they can in this draft (because there are no guarantees that they'll be in position to get one of the top ones next year), and then look to draft a C and OG in next year's draft, and take a WR or two and a RB in this draft.

11. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

And who will be available on Offensive Line in F/A that would be worth overpaying for???

12. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

Ther
    Therein lies our biggest problem in FA. Not a damn person with the exception of Matt Paradis to be our new C

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If we stay at #3 - Josh Allen

if we have a chance to trade down and get a second round pick (which based on history we will waste on a total bust) then I would do that and grab the top rated OL available at whatever spot we are in

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

It is such a weak class of free agents this year across the board - only decent FA looks to be Matt Paradis and then a big drop off with Trent Brown being the best OL FA it looks like or Ereck Flowers - I hope we go OL heavy this draft

sackexchange likes this.
  15. Leicester Jet

I just fear that we are going to go Defence again in the Draft and leave the O/Line to the later round picks - 4th Round onwards. This could easily backfire on us big time and end up with Sam injured and the team once again going nowhere.

Its alright having a superstar defence but how will they play if they end up spending 45 minutes of the 60 on the pitch as our Offence won't be able to do anything. :(

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

given the number of first round picks we have burned on the defence to have a below average group I don't think we are in any danger of getting a superstar defence any time ever :(

17. Williams is not worth a top 3 pick & isnt even the best OT prospect in this drafft..hes just the highest profile & the most pro ready.His value is somewhere between the 10’s & 20’s picking him top 3 would be the definition of a reach.

SettlerDawg likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I think there are several. At C there's Matt Paradis of Denver and Mitch Morse of KC. At OG there's AJ Cann. At RT there's Bobby Hart and Cedric Ogbuehi. At LT there's Trenton Brown.

19. Leicester Jet

That not that many, as I'm sure that we won't be the only team in the market. The trouble is we need help all the way along the line but others might just need to replace the odd player, so a FA might prefer to go to a team with an established O/Line where he can just slot in straight away.

It will be interesting when 14th January gets he and we can see who as actually declared for the draft. Then we will have a better idea about our FA or Draft choices.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Exactly. He has great feet and good hands but is not a plus with length. He may be a good tackle in the nfl and at the least will be an above average guard, but he’s not a top ten talent. Everyone wants to help our shiny new toy, but it’s not the best way to go unless we can move down.

SettlerDawg, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.