General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Depends Brook. I go perhaps twice a month depending on what's showing. I also have ways of seeing first run movies off DVD screeners and other means. Those ways of course can be problematic at times...

Yeah, between fishing, movies and smoking/BBQ on weekends, I try to make the most of them. Throw in some Makers Mark 46 and I'm good until Monday! :)

Brook! likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I plan on seeing a lot of movies the next couple weeks:
    Aquaman
    Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
    Vice
    Holmes and Watson
    The Mule
    Mary Poppins Returns
    Bumblebee

How many of them will I actually see? Time will tell. :)

3. Cman68

I'm in for The Mule and Vice.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'Mary Poppins Returns'?! Your gay is showing. j/k.

Any horror movies coming out tonight? I love horror movies at Christmas time, especially Christmas themed ones. Gets me in the spirit. 'Black Christmas' (the re-make is not as good, but still kinda fun), and 'Christmas Slay' is beyond terrible but also fun. I mentioned 'Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale' in the horror movie thread. Highly recommend:

Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

Whatever you do, stay away from 'Christmas in Connecticut' with Barbara Stanwyck. It fckn sucks. More importantly, steer clear of 'It's a Wonderful Life'. I like and deeply respect Jimmy Stewart but that is one of my most hated movies of all time. All I do is yell, "Kill yourself!" when he's on the bridge. Oh, and I also hate Donna Reed. Speaking of which, I used to watch 'The Donna Reed Show' on Nickelodeon (when it was actually a good TV station) just to horrify myself. It's surreal. Women today have no clue how far we've come and that's why I hate seeing dumb bitches acting like dumb bitches. I adore cooking and baking and I'm a semi-pro but it's not to the tune of Shelley Fabares saying things like, "Oh, Mother, how will I ever find a husband if I can't make a good roast?" And there's Donna in her perky pointy bra and dress with her apron on a Monday morning flipping flapjacks with one hand and vacuuming with the other.

I know someone is going there so I'll do a pre-emptive strike and do it for you: Now go make me goddamn sandwich, woman! Hahaha.

5. Cman68

Hey Jeto, guess what I just found...er... obtained via the webz: The original "Trilogy of Terror" !

6. jetophile

Excellent! Merry Christmas! I love this movie, another trilogy ('Tales From the Crypt'). Joan Collins, what a bitch. Sir Ralph Richardson, "Perhaps . . . you?" Hahaha.

7. Cman68

Same to you Jeto!

8. The Dark Knight

I watched "It's A Wonderful Life" with family for the first time ever today. It is a great film and I get why it is an all-time classic, but I had one problem: What happened to Mr. Potter? I am not sure I have seen a film where the villain just disappears with no resolution to his character or story line. Since I am late to the party (72 years late), I can't be the only person who watched that movie and wondered that. He just got away with everything. I know he wasn't the main point of the movie, but it just felt like he was missing a scene at the end. Anyone else ever think that? Merry Christmas!

9. The Dark Knight

Aquaman was a lot of fun! I was pleasantly surprised. It felt like all kinds of movies combined. Superhero movies, Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, Avatar, etc. They did a good job. It was a great movie experience too as the visuals were beautiful and the sound was epic. And I agree. Jason Momoa and Amber Heard were great together. Throw in Dolph Lundgren and an octopus playing drums, and you have a hell of a fun movie! :)

10. Cman68

It was more entertaining than "Wonder Woman" IMO. I just hope they pass on doing a "Flash" origin movie as I didn't really care for his character in JL. A teen "Flash" just doesn't cut it for me but I guess its to attract a far younger audience than even millenials. DC's answer to teen "Spiderman" I guess..

11. The Dark Knight

Yep. He literally is DC's version of the MCU's Spider-Man. I didn't mind him in Justice League, but not sure how he will do with a solo movie. And I agree, I think I enjoyed Aquaman more than Wonder Woman. It had better characters and villains. Gal Gadot and Chris Pine were better lead actors than the cast in Aquaman, but the overall edge goes to Aquaman.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Well, they could always put Gal Gadot in Amber Heard's Atlantean body suit for a fair comparison. Honestly I think Amber wins that showdown.. ;)

13. The Dark Knight

[​IMG]
    Spider-Man Into the Spider-verse actually was really good. Probably one of the best cartoon films I have ever seen (next to Mask of the Phantasm). Takes a minute to get adjusted to the animation, but once you do it flows fine. Highly recommend it to Spider-Man and comic fans.

14. The Dark Knight

The Mule was pretty good. Clint Eastwood is still great even at 88. Bradley Cooper was also really good in the film. It is not amazing, but it was enjoyable. Teaches the importance of family.

I also saw Holmes and Watson and I probably should not be admitting it, as it was brutally bad. I love John C. Reilly, and he gave the best effort he could and was funny at times, but Will Ferrell was unbearably bad as Holmes. It made me think he had to know it was terrible and maybe some experiment to see how bad he could truly be on screen. :D

Cman68 likes this.
  15. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Spiderverse was good. Also too short in my opinion. We barely get to meet all the new characters and its over.

I've always hated Ferrell. Screaming words is not comedy. Saying something loud doesn't make it funny. Reilly is a much better "actor" although he doesn't pick many good roles.

16. The Dark Knight

Yeah, agreed about Spider-Man. It left plenty of room for sequels and spin-offs though, so I am sure Sony is happy.

And Will Ferrell has always been hit or miss for me. Mostly miss lately though.

17. jetophile

'Withnail and I', @K'OB! ; ) This movie came up in an unrelated thread and I can't suggest it enough. Black humor and so damn sickly funny. It's beyond hilarious. It's right up there with 'Harold and Maude'. You won't be disappointed.

I couldn't find one of my favorite scenes of the movie. It isn't called Ben Gay in the UK but for lack of phraseology that's what I used in the other post. The movie is about two down on their luck actors living in borderline poverty, drugs, and the unbelievable shit that transpires.

#136 jetophile, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    K'OB likes this.
  18. Cman68

Pass on "Vice".... Unless you're aching for several hours of Bush Administration history. Could have been made by Michael Moore and that's not a compliment. I'm a leftist and I wish I had went to see "The Mule".

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Yeah, I lived through Cheney and have no desire to relive it, but everything I've heard about Vice is that it is nothing but a poorly-executed political screed.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

@jetophile

Part 1

10mins 20 secs for your scene btw

Part2

Enjoy :)

21. jetophile

Classic. I should just buy it. I don't know why I never did. It's such an underappreciated gem, although as you said, it gained big time cult status. There were some critics when it was released that loved it, though. How can you not. It's insane. I saw it the year after it was released for the first time, and all I said was, "Holy Shit, man, HAHAHAHA!" It's part Monty Python and part I don't know what, lol. Also poignant, hard to pull off. Brilliant if you ask me.

Dierking likes this.