Could The Jets Go From Worst To First In 2019?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jan 4, 2019.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/could-the-jets-go-from-worst-to-first-in-2019

Over the past two seasons, four teams have finished at the top of their divisions a year after being buried in the basement — the Eagles and Jaguars in 2016-17 and the Texans and Bears in 2017-18.

NFL Network’s Gil Brandt believes the Jets could join those teams in 2019.

“If the Jets hire the right coach, why can't Sam Darnold follow in the footsteps of Mitch Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson, who won division titles in their second NFL seasons?” Brandt wrote. “Darnold has shown every earmark of becoming a legit franchise quarterback this season despite working with a lesser supporting cast.”

Darnold, the No. 3 overall selection in 2018, threw for 2,865 yards, 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions while completing 57.7% of his passes in 13 games this season. The 21-year-old endured his fair share of ups and downs, but he consistently played at a higher level in Weeks 14-17 after returning from a strained right foot he suffered November 9th.
    “As someone who entered the NFL without a ton of experience as a starting quarterback, he had to work through some ups and downs, including a stretch from Week 7 to Week 9 when he completed 47.3 percent of his passes with a 2:7 TD-to-INT ratio and a passer rating of 43.3, and a foot injury that cost him three games,” Brandt wrote of the 6’3”, 225-pound Darnold.

“But he finished strong (931 yards, six TDs, one pick and a 99.1 passer rating in his last four games) and looked like a much more confident quarterback at the end of the season.”

With a young core featuring Darnold and safety Jamal Adams, in combination with the 2019 third overall selection and roughly $100 million in cap space, the Jets could quickly change their fortunes next season.

Royal Tee likes this.
  2. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I believe it can be done with the rite CS, good draft, FA pick-ups....and a little luck. Will it be done, that remains to be seen. I expect Sam to pick-up where he left off the last 4 games. We seem to be following the blue print of the Rams & the Bears. A 2nd year QB & New Coach. Sam played better in year 1 than Mitch & Goff did in their rookie seasons. These teams have a better supporting cast than we do, that's why Free Agency & Draft is so important. Then again there is the Patriots to contend with. They are in a slow decline. They may be without Gronk, J. McDaniels, & Brady didn't play like the old Brady this past year. In general it is a weak division, except Patriots. If we don't win the division, I still expect the Jets to be a much improved team. If we had the rite CS this year we go 8 & 8. We lost to many games that we let get away (Browns, Texans, Packers, Titans) especially in the 4th quarter. A good pass rusher...or two & our defense would be much improved. This is going to be an interesting off season to say the least. GO JETS

#3 BudJet, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Bowles Movement likes this.
  4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

It all depends on Mikey Macc & how savvy he is at making deals and improving the depth of this team.
    If we can amass a couple of extra picks with a move back with the Jags & possibly a deal for Leo , recouping a 2nd rounder, that could help ... maybe make a deal with Tampa for Evans... so many possibilities to improve this roster .

We can look into dealing for Bortles to give Jacksonville some much needed cap relief for an additional pick, sorta like Cleveland did with Osweiler ( not sure how that would work)... it's all in Mac's hands, which terrifies me.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Wait until we have drafted and acquired fa's before you stoke your fires of expectation to fever pitch levels.
    In fact I would wait until we have won the first 8 games of next season just in case they deliver a swift kick to the bollocks to teach you a lesson. We are the jets man.

:)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. K'OB

Mac terrifies you? But you suggest trading for bortles, now how scary is that?

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I’m looking at it from the same standpoint Cleveland did and recouping draft picks ... not sure how that would work but I’ve heard some rumblings suggesting it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Possible. Improve pass rush,Sam takes the next step, add a legit playmaker to take the pressure off and it could happen.
    Get it done Mac

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not A Chance In Hell... New HC, new Staff, new System, no time to perfect it.. 2020 at the soonest. 2021/22 far more likely.

joe and macbk like this.
  10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The last 5 first round picks that started in their 2nd season all won division titles (Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson)

All of those teams (except the Chiefs, but Mahomes didn’t start year 1) had losing records the previous year

Tbh, I would be disappointed if the Jets didn’t push for the AFCE next year considering I like Darnold better than all those QBs except Mahomes.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

According to studies, most kids believe in Santa Claus at age 6 and don't believe at age 8.

stinkyB and Noam like this.
  12. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Possible, but will require revamping the offensive line, a stud OLB/DE who can rush the passer and a true threat on offense in the form of either or both an elite rb or wr. A solid CB is also a need.

Mac’s drafts have been pretty bad so not holding out hope that we can build through the draft. He’ll hit on rd. 1 (top 3), but after that maybe we get one other player of worth.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

It’s a possibility. It depends on who we draft and pick up and what kind of coaches we get. 2019 would be a nice surprise, but probably the next couple years.

We’d have to revisit pre-season. Too much is up in the air, getting rid of Bowles was a good start though.

14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I'll entertain 2020. Depending on staff & how the $ is spent for 2019, maybe we'll be in the 6-8 win range.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I don't think so. There are a lot of holes on the roster(Edge, OL, RB, WR) and even if most of them are filled, the Pats will most likely be standing in the way of a division title. The best that will happen is getting a WC spot unless Brady suffers a season ending injury or retires.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That would be sweet, but I'll believe it when it happens; otherwise, my avatar says it all. I think Brandt must have gone senile or has been playing too much Madden. For the Jets to wind up 1st next season, Brady and Bellichick would both have to retire. Even then, Mac would have to make the right moves in FA and probably a grand slam in the draft, not missing on any of his draft picks, and getting significant contributions from every one of them next season, as well as the other young players that have been added to the roster. They'd have to be able to protect Sam, stop opponents' rushing attack, and Trumaine Johnson would have to play up to his contract.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Making a deal for Leo? That would accomplish nothing. It would just create another hole and mean that the Jets would use their #1 pick on a DT that they would convert to a 3-4 DE.

18. K'OB

Yeah but we would still end up with Bortles not sure any amount of picks will be compensation lol and what would he cost and for that matter will he see himself as a backup QB yet, maybe a bit early for those kinds of thoughts in his head.

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I still think NE wins the division next year even though Brady and co could be declining. Who will be the new HC as well as the rest of the CS goes into the equation. How the Jets draft, what they do in FA, as well as what other teams in division do make it hard to predict. I do think over the next few seasons(not next year though) the Jets and Bills will be fighting it out for the top spot in the division as both have potential franchise QB's to build around. But the days of the AFCE consisting of the Pats and the 3 stooges are coming to an end. Miami with a new coaching staff coming in plus who knows what they do about Tannehill going forward put them in limbo right now.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Nah but if things go right (good HC, good draft and FA signings) then the Jets should be vastly improved. That's asking a lot but it can be done. The Belichick-Brady system is too fine tuned for the Jets to finish 1st yet. Like I said on here a few years ago, I predicted Brady wouldn't make it til he was 45 when he made that claim. I said 43 and I'm standing by it. I think he has two seasons left before he packs it in.