Jets completed Mike McCarthy interview on 1/5-Saturday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2019.

?

Would you be happy with McCarthy signing?

1. Yes

64.0%
  2. No

16.0%
  3. Undecided

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It's not clear. Even the media doesn't know.

2. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

Maybe back in your day when kids had to go uphill barefoot both to and from school ;). I think the NFL is trending towards passing innovation incorporating college concepts such as Kliff's Texas Tech teams and using different route tree combinations to scheme players free instead of asking them to play perfectly each play and always beat there man.

legler82 likes this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I’m undecided not sure if McCarty would be the right fit for this group.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don’t think anyone knows what McCarthy is doing.

From Twitter...

5. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

Perhaps this summary will make you reconsider your opinion

McNabb was the Eagles' starting quarterback from 1999 to 2009. During his tenure with the Eagles, he led the team to eight playoff appearances (2000-2004, 2006, 2008 and 2009),[3] five NFC Eastdivision championships (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2006), five NFC Championship games (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2008), and Super Bowl XXXIX, which the Eagles lost to the New England Patriots 24-21. He also became the Eagles' all-time leader in pass attempts, pass completions, passing yards, and passing touchdowns.[4][5]

McNabb is the fourth quarterback in NFL history to amass more than 30,000 passing yards, 200 TD passes, 3,000 rushing yards and 20 rushing touchdowns in his career.[6] The first three quarterbacks to accomplish this feat were Fran Tarkenton, John Elway, and Steve Young. His 3,469 career yards rushing ranks sixth all-time for NFL quarterbacks.[7]

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Make fun of me if you want whippersnapper,:p but the principle still applies and always will: do a few things great rather than many things mediocre. Consider: When Brady goes back to pass and everyone KNOWS he's looking for Gronk or Edelman does that stop him? Hell no!

I'm not saying there's no place for innovation, but McCarthy's methods have worked, so I'm fine with letting him come here. I also think hiring a "young gun" like Kingsbury - if he doesn't get a HC gig - to be the QBC or OC would be a good move.

7. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This is what comes from not watching the teams play and speculating based on statistics and perception. If anyone thinks Reid and McCarthy are cut from the same cloth their high off their ass.

McCarthy is the far less accomplished Phil Jackson. Favre and Rodgers are Jordan and Bryant, and the Jets are the Knicks in this scenario.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There's no question McNabb was an elite NFL QB in his day. To me he's not in the HOF class of guys like Marino, Favre, Payton Manning, Montana...Give him a ring or two and he sneaks in. Eli to me isn't a great NFL QB but I don't discount the two big playoff runs he had. He played at an absolutely elite level in the playoffs twice and overplayed under pressure his regular season numbers. That's something I put a high premium on.

I value what Terrell Davis did more than what Curtis Martin did. Most people would disagree with me. Carrying your team to two SB is the ultimate HOF credential. Marino obviously didn't do that but he was maybe the greatest QB in the history of the game even without a SB win.

When I think of Mike McCarthy I think mediocre coach who had great talent. When I think of Bill Walsh, I think brilliant mastermind Head Coach who molded great talent into something better.

9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Marino is IMHO the best QB ever to play the game--at least in the modern era.

No rings so you can't put him above Montana Brady Peyton and the like.

But he was better.

10. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Similar thing with me - although we moved to Arizona. Child Protective Services hasn't knocked on the door yet :).

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Completely agree with you here.

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass, perhaps I was bit glib. But if that wasn't your meaning then I don't know what it was.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What you call "glib," I call being a smart ass. I didn't say anything even remotely close to what you responded with.

14. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

And that’s just for folks who only look at stats to judge whether someone was “over rated”.

Watching him play, the dude was great and tough as hell.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. DarrelleRevis.Human?

16. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Don't know how I would feel about this, could be McAdoo 2.0

17. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Cleveland is tantalizing, but Mayfield for all his talent does look like a future problem that McCarthy may be leery of. And for all that's been said about our ownership too, Jimmy Haslam is even more toublesome than the Johnsons. Mayfield down the line will clash with McCarthy, and I think he's kind of done with the whole diva QB. Rodgers was incredible but he was also a total diva. And his massive ego had to managed as well, which McCarthy did a magnificent job for so many years

Darnold is none of that

Plus that's a tough division to compete in year in year out. Ravens and Steelers have great football programs and are year in year out winners. The Bengals always have great talent.

He may prefer the AFC east with the fading Patriots, and no QB Bills/Fish as his main competition

18. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

As I posted, I heard that Josh Mcdaniel is interested in browns job. That will give us an almost definite chance to land McCarthy. He only has 2 interviews set up ...Browns & Jets

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

How much are the Browns interested in McDaniels though?

McDaniels is a punk and immature. This could blow up spectacularly.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  20. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

There was a game where he was getting beaten up and possibly concussed and was puking in the huddle but wouldn’t come out. I think it was the playoffs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.