Stay away from the temptation of Le'Veon Bell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Dec 20, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks! I definitely think Lawrence is the way to go, and agree about Clowney but he'd be better than the others if Lawrence isn't available or won't sign with the Jets.

Yeldon was just a cheaper option. I'd definitely prefer one of the other backs.

This would be a very different team next year with just the addition of Lawrence or Clowney, Tate, Humphries, and one of those RBs. Add Trent Brown, Mitch Morse, Jared Cook, and Ronald Darby and with any kind of CS at all we're in the playoffs. I don't think it's realistic to sign all of those, but if we could sign half of them say Lawrence, Tate, Mark Ingram and Mitch Morse, it would be awesome

Noam and JetsNation06 like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Ingram and Peyton Barber would be my first two choices. I think we have to add a RB, however, so if we can't get Ingram or Barber, then imo the next best choices would be Coleman, Yeldon, or go with the ancient Adrien Peterson or older than dirt Frank Gore. I've been disappointed in Yeldon as a pro, but he does have 414 yards rushing and 1 rushing TD, and 487 yards receiving and 4 receiving TDs. As part of a rotation, we could do worse. I hope that it doesn't come to that, however.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said, but here's the thing - we might be able to get a strong RB in 3rd round, BUT...that means you have to use one of your "premium" picks on this RB when you could sign Bell and have that pick to use for OL/Pass rush/WR/CB. Since the Jets are short on picks because of having to use that 2nd to mive up for Sam, using cash, which they have, in place of a pick, AND getting an assured performer instead of a questionable draftee makes more sense to me.

4. NCJetsfan

We'll just have to agree to disagree. IMO FA isn't about signing a bunch of stars or top tier FAs. That's how teams wind up in cap hell. FA is for addressing needs, filling holes, upgrading depth, and if possible upgrading a starter or two. FA isn't as bad as you make it out.

You're wrong about FA. I posted a list of players who could help this team a lot. There are upgrades both for some of our starters or depth. I suggest that you check it out. I guess you think that DeMarcus Lawrence, Jadaveon Clowney, Anthony Barr, Shane Ray, Aaron Lynch and Dante Fowler, Jr. aren't any good and couldn't help our pass rush. SMH Getting a stud pass rusher is more important than getting Bell. Pursuing Bell would be the worst move the Jets could make in FA. TO begin with, I don't think that he'd ever sign here. He'd use us to drive up his cost with some other team, and wasting time on him would prevent our signing other players who could help us for a longer time than Bell could. He's only played every game in 1 of his 5 seasons. He's injury-prone, probably more likely to get suspended again than not, and almost certainly would be unhappy if we weren't winning almost every week. No way he's worth $17 million per season. Signing him is a Madden-type move.

Jared Cook would be a huge addition to our TE corps.

Putting our money away until 2020 is neither realistic, nor would it be smart. I'm not sure if we have to spend any money this off-season, but we may. Kearse shouldn't be back, so that will leave us with Enunwa, Anderson, Charone Peake, Deontay Burnett and Andre Roberts as a WR corps. Would you be happy with that? How's Darnold supposed to develop with receivers like that? There are 3 good WRs available in FA that could help fill out our WR corps: Golden Tate for a couple of seasons, Adam Humphries and Tyrell Williams. The latter two are younger and could be here for 5 years or more. You can't go into the draft having to draft 2 WRs. Other teams would know what you had to get and Mac would be in a desperate position. Mac has to sign at least one of those three.

Mac had better be active in FA, or this team isn't going to improve very much even if he has a very good draft.

5. NCJetsfan

I was gonna give you a like until the last sentence. I don't think that pursuing Bell makes any sense at all. It would just be a distraction, waste of time and energy, and would probably result on our missing out on other players. Worst of all would be if he signed with us and the cap hits we'd take for him over the next 4-5 seasons.

6. NCJetsfan

The very fact that Manish Mehta has been campaigning for it should tell Jets fans everything they need to know...that it would be a bad thing.

7. NCJetsfan

No you can't, not when there's any holes for him to run through or when he's sitting on the bench injured.

8. NCJetsfan

Look at my list in this thread. There are quite a few good options for upgrading this team.

9. NCJetsfan

nm

#89 NCJetsfan, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Predicting injuries isn’t a game I’m gonna play. No one should. And for the millionth time, why are signing Bell and upgrading the OL mutually exclusive in your mind? Explain to me why you can’t do both.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I was just reading an article on a Packers website and our leading receiver on the year has 38 catches, 38? Actually a tie between Enunwa and Anderson. That's disgraceful production for a lead WR on any NFL team and another knock on Mac's shit draft history at the position. I probably should've posted this in a Mac thread but another reason to look at Le'Veon as he's such a solid receiving threat. Regardless that position needs a considerable upgrade along with RB.

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Frankly, everyone arguing about Bell is more likely going to become moot. I doubt he signs with the Jets, no matter how much money we throw at him. There will be other teams, with better situations - coaching, surrounding talent, winning tradition - who can give him money close enough, and he'll enjoy winning more than losing. In the end, I believe we'll have to look for help elsewhere.

NY Jets68, abc and JetsNation06 like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I've already done that at least a couple of times in this thread. But since you have problems reading, the Jets only have 29 players under contract for next season. By the time they sign 15-20 of their own players, and set aside money for draft picks and keeping some for during the season, probably at least half of their available money will be gone. Priority #1 needs to be signing Lawrence or Clowney. That will take probably 1/3 of what is left. They have a lot of holes to fill/needs to address (OL, WR, TE, CB as well as RB). They will need to sign probably 2 WRs, a TE, a CB (If they don't re-sign Claiborne), at least one, and preferably 2-3 OL, as well as a RB. I don't think that they would be able to afford to spend $17 million on Bell, but even if they could, it would be a colossal waste for a player his age, with his injury history, and someone who is likely to hold out again next year.

It isn't predicting injuries. Obviously, you aren't away of his injury history. He's only started or played in all 16 games once in his career. He has a history of missing games. The odds are that he will continue to miss games, and the older he gets, the more likely he is to miss games.

14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Why is that a knock on Mac? If anything it is another knock on the HC/OC for the predictable, safety first play calling which has ignored the strengths of Anderson and starved him of targets for much of the season.

15. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

I can almost guarantee we won’t sign bell even if we wanted to. He doesn’t like the jets and has stated it in the past multiple times.

16. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

And reports are coming out that he wants to play for Indy. Not the jets. Even tho we did lay a whooping on the colts

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's a knock on Mac because we need more talented WR's and skill position players on the roster. Sure Bates' play calling sucked as well but neither Anderson or Enunwa are #1's. Mac has missed badly on several WR's in the draft.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Bell is a hard pass as far as I'm concerned. As a Jet fan for decades, two of our biggest problems have always been with players who are injury prone or cancers in the clubhouse. Its clear that Bell is a head case no matter how talented he is, and I think he would be truly awful in this young Jets lockers room - literally the last thing we need.

19. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You are entitled to your opinion. I’m not big into trying to prove my opinions right. I think it would be a mistake to sign bell. You don’t. All I would say to keep in mind is just because he is potentially the best player in free agency does not mean it will pan out.

20. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think Marlon Mack and Hines are a good one-two punch for them at RB. If Bell signed there, I would definitely be interested in trading for one of them for a reasonable price.