Josh Gordon leaving Pats?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Ptflea2, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Very disrespectful to Myra

Brook! and stinkyB like this.
  2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

True, I guess we'll never know, but if he was diagnosed with one of those he should have been getting help years ago, not playing football. It sounds more like he's got no willpower and just can't stop getting high. I mean if you continue to do it knowing full well you are part of the substance abuse program and one failed test gets you suspended indefinitely, yet still fail drug tests you are dumb. I know plenty of folks that get drug tested on a regular basis, smoke weed almost every day and still don't fail the tests. There are ways to beat drug tests, he's just stupid.

And don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with players smoking weed in their free time. The NFL seems to live in 1930, with their hatred of it, treating it as bad as PEDs. But if you are playing a sport you gotta follow the rules.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Ricki Noel Lander should be on Maury Povich. I don't know who my Baby Daddy is! Bob Kraft, you ARE the father!

#23 jetophile, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm here for the love..... not the fame, attention and accolades.

joe likes this.
  5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Perhaps we should ask Darron Lee for his professional opinion on that one.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

We were duped!

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Take a look around you. There are literally millions of morbidly obese, drug addicted gamblers everywhere. Budweiser, the official beer of the Superbowl, just signed a deal with Tilray. A joint venture to produce marijuana infused drinks. You can guarantee it will be the official marijuana infused drink of the NFL and sold in all NFL stadiums in short order. Cheese doodles and expanding waist lines to follow...News at 6.

Josh Gordon is not just a Marijuana user. He has been drinking and doing drugs since the 7th grade. He was a gang member and criminal since he was a kid. This isn't about dumb or smart. This is sad story and a cry for help. It's not just about Josh Gordon an amazingly talented football player who would likely be in prison or dead. This isn't about dumb or stupid. It's about love, hate and abandonment that is happening to children all over the world.

One of my favorite New York City Athletes and one of the top talents ever to grace this city was Dwight Gooden. His story of addiction and alcohol abuse has followed him for his entire life. This isn't about dumb. It's tragic.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think at this point it is clear that Josh Gordon threw away more money than any other NFL player has or likely will.

The problem was not drugs, it was mental health. What exactly he has is unclear but it's likely some variant of bipolar disorder with maybe a helping of borderline personality thrown in. This is a very sad tale of a tremendous talent, a Randy Moss level WR, who didn't get the kind of structure that he needed to manage his illness and maintain a $100M+ career.

I suggested a 5-step program to save him in 2014: http://forums.theganggreen.com/thre...ick-for-josh-gordon.81184/page-3#post-3020485 that I believe was the minimum effort that might have saved his career. The problem with it was that mental illness often defies any attempt to save the person afflicted. It's very possible that the stress of a high-pressure public career was going to destroy Josh Gordon's prospects no matter the effort made to save him.

Watching Gordon play in 2013 it was clear that his talent was almost limitless. He caught 87 passes for 1,646 yards and 9 TD's with a trio of QB's named Jason Campbell, Brandon Weeden and Bryan Hoyer. If he had played with a real QB that year he likely would have caught 120 passes for 2,300 yards and 20 TD's. Give him to Drew Brees and he probably would have been double-teamed the entire year and still caught 100+ passes.

9. Nate varney

Nate varney Member

Tragic? Hardly. Tragic is the single mom busting her ass working 2 jobs to support her kids...not some pot smoking millionaire

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I see no tragedy in people working to support their families. Life is sometimes unfair and some people get a heavier load to carry than others but their ability to cope with those things is far from tragic, it can be triumphant.

Debilitating illness on the other hand, particularly when it cannot be controlled, is indeed tragic.

11. Nate varney

Nate varney Member

Sorry I’ll make the story more dramatic next time...I’ll add in missed bdays and holidays, no insurance, savings and some kind of illness
    The point is josh Gordon’s story is not tragic stop making excuses for this guy. He has access to more support and resources than just about anyone in the world. Just because his job doesn’t allow him to smoke pot doesn’t make this tragic. He’s had multiple chances and failed.

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

When you're mentally ill it's really hard. Just like it's really hard to walk if you have a broken leg, or throw a ball if you have a broken arm. If you are mentally ill, your mind doesn't work properly and things like thinking logically and doing other ridiculously simple things can become difficult or impossible, depending on how severe the problem is.

People need to stop thinking that you can just will your way out of metal illness. Would you expect someone to just will their way out of diabetes?

IBLEEDGREEN17 and NY Jets68 like this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

WTF does access have to do with it? Drug addicts aren't looking for access, their looking for their next drink or fix. Money isn't a shield for depression and addiction. Not having it isn't an excuse for drug abuse, addiction and depression.

He's been a drug addict and alcoholic since the 7th grade. He was a drug addict and alcoholic through high school, college and when he was drafted into the NFL. He was passed through the entire system from Junior High through his first contract with drug, alcohol and a criminal background because he made his coaches look good, Baylor look good and make money. They tossed him up the line when they were done.

When children are addicted to drugs and pushed through the system because the system doesn't give a shit nor do their parents, it's tragic.

The world is full of "functioning" alcoholics and drug addicts who's lives and the lives of those around them are a living nightmare. It's tragic.

Nobody says you have to give a shit or do anything about it. Nobody says you have to make excuses for anyone. The fact that suicide rates are through the roof, kids and adults are doing drugs and binge drinking at record rates doesn't have to mean anything to you. Yes Drug addicts, alcoholics, gamblers are clearly pussies without the balls to deal with their problems and lives.

Nobody says it wasn't their fault. hope you never hit bottom or feel the need to check out. If you do and you don't have the strength to fix it on your own, someone lifts a hand to you instead of looking at you like a dumb ass and kicks you to the curb.

Anger and contempt is also tragic. It's no way to go through life.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

A mother taking care of her kids isn't tragic. It may be heroic depending on the circumstance but that's what parents are supposed to do.

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I have to believe that in this day and age anyone who still has the attitude that mental illness is somehow all the person's fault, and just their own weakness and stupidity, hasn't been personally touched by the disease (either themselves or close family or friends). Consider yourself lucky in your ignorance.

Jake and Red Menace like this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

So true and the sad fact is if you live long enough your luck will run out.

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

18. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Saw a meemeem but couldn’t figure out how to post it.

Pats: We’re going to drug test you.

Josh Gordon: I’m retiring.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

This poor bastard really needs some help ----he tested positive for more than Marijuana at least thats what I read. For some of these people I am not even sure if the help that they need exists. Ps I have seen people writing that ITS OVER for the Pats and can only envision them in another Super Bowl this year and all of us puking again .,,,, I mean how many times has the demise of the Patriots been written about ?

Woodhead and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner