Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Yup Sam is going to be playing 10 years after Barkley is out of the league.

And the QBs in this draft class are not very good.

2. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

Matt Stafford had a few bad years comp%.
    He figured it out, although im not sure id want him as a fqb. Ill agree with your lastest statment that it isnt common.... but this kid has been a late bloomer all the way. There isnt exactly a ton of Wyoming level mountain west qb1 in the nfl either. My point wasnt really about the drops though. Its abouthow and why using comp % as a gauge for accuracy isnt in all cases the way to go. Again, he was at 70% before the 4th and that was his best qtr. Playing team ball and throwing down field adjusted that % so how does that lead to him being inaccurate? In fact, thatd be a game id ask someone to watch to show his accuracy. He wasnt perfect, but there sure were some dimes. I'd even venture to guess if Allen was a Jet it wouldnt be so cut and dry. Its apparent you have your mind made up and thats ok - but i wish you were a little more open minded to a situation thats far from finished one way or another.

#422 Billsfan1212, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Some people simply cannot alter their pre-conceived notions from before the draft.
    Despite the fact that he's been effective on the field in the NFL as a rookie, they will still hang on to college completion % stats for dear life.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I've liked what little I've seen out of the kid.
    He's a baller.

But he's a Buffalo Bill.

How much do you really expect us to like him?

Yankjetfan and stinkyB like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You didn’t read what I said apparently. I flat out said I understand why you can’t base accuracy off completion percentage. I asked a simple question... what precedent is there whatsoever for someone who has that bad of a completion percentage turning it around and being a solid pro? It’s not everything, but it’s a lot. If you can prove to me otherwise, I’d gladly keep an open mind.

Edit: Stafford isn’t a totally unfair argument, but he at least showed he can do it at some point before entering the pros.

This is lazy.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He's been effective as a runner. As a passer, he's completing 52% of his passes with 6 TDs, 9 INTs, and a 65.5 rating. Despite defenses focusing most of their resources to stop him from running. That isn't effective.

7. Billsfan1212

Obviously "ifs and buts/candy and nuts" but Rodak had an interesting stat fwiw

"Allen also had the fourth-worst completion percentage in Week 15 (50.0%) but his adjusted completion percentage — weighted for air yards and excluding throwaways and drops — was ninth-best (72.7%). Since his Week 12 return, Allen’s adjusted completion % is 67.0, or 23rd-best.

Mike Rodak

✔@mikerodak

Josh Allen had a 19.6 Total QBR on Sunday, the fourth-worst among 30 QBs to start in Week 15 before Monday night. Only Eli Manning (19.3), Ryan Tannehill (6.5) and Josh Rosen (3.1).

That comes after Allen had the NFL’s sixth-best Total QBR from Weeks 12-14 (79.0).

From the Athletic:

If you just look quickly at the box score, you’ll see Allen completed only 50 percent of his passes for just over 200 yards and view this as a ho-hum game. Other stats help provide context, though. For one, Allen averaged 23.4 air yards per target, second most in the league this week heading into “Sunday Night Football.” His receivers also had an average of 2.31 yards of separation at the time of the catch (second worst in the league) and 2.63 yards of separation at the time of the throw (worst in the league).

Neither are Allen apologists

S
    till not dynamite, but progress at the very least

#427 Billsfan1212, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  8. Billsfan1212

I think ive been very open in trying to stay objective. I liked Darnold a lot coming out...and as a player he is still someone id like to see do well and i respect. I dont 'like' him as a Bills fan, but top qbs are good for the game and i enjoy their play. No one is drooling over anyone per se or talking trasv, which has helped keep it very civil and objective. Im not asking Jets fans to fawn over the guy, merely trying to make a solid argument as to his progress and potential as an NFL qb. At one point in re: to Allen there was very little. Now its just trying to point out theres more than a rocket attached to legs;)

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed all the trash talk around Allen.

All I know is he couldn't even beat us last week.o_O

Everybody beats us...

10. BroadwayAaron

I don't know what the progress is though. He's been surviving on his ability to extend plays and make plays with his legs, and it's been impressive, there's no way to doubt that. Other than that, he's not doing much. The only reason teams have to respect him is because he can take off so you can't bring tons of pressure, but you also can't just drop everyone back. He's doing what he did in college... survive until he hits the homerun.

This isn't the final product, we know this. I just don't think it's too far off because he's limited as a Qb.

11. BacktoQueens

You have to look at his entire body of work, including rushing, and whether or not he's been instrumental in winning games.
    Passes the eye test on both.

Just last game, tossed a long bomb for game winning TD, and cemented the game by rushing on a 4th and 1 conversion.
    He was the clear difference in the game. That's what he's bringing to the table.

In terms of stats, how do you throw out rushing?
    With rushing he has 12TDs compared to 9INT's, which a'int bad at all for a rook.
    Compare that to Darnold at 15TDs and 15INT's, and I would consider Darnold as a rookie flashing effective signs of play as well.
    Allen needs to improve completion %, but it's only a couple % pts behind the other rookies, and it's not like Buffalo plays in a short passing attack with good WR's.
    I would take his 33 rushing first downs over those couple % pts.

For a rook, he's shown he belongs in this league, and has shown he can be an effective QB.
    If I were a Bills fan I'd be pretty encouraged right now.

#431 BacktoQueens, Dec 18, 2018
  12. BacktoQueens

So he is good at extending plays, he's hard to blitz, and defenses have to respect the deep field against him.
    But he's limited. :rolleyes:

Those are 3 incredibly important characteristics.

What is your counter argument based on what you've seen so far? (and please do not mention college stats)

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Shoe Booty also missed 3 games.

14. BroadwayAaron

You don't want me to mention his 56% completion percentage over the course of two full seasons? Then you don't want to actually have a conversation.

15. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

It's crazy how the book is already out on Allen and he'll never be an NFL QB. We should draft another QB next year

Josh Allen is a lot better than what we were told by the draft experts coming out of the draft. He's already a way better QB then he was at Wyoming. This past game he was forced to stay in the pocket and threw the ball accurately. I don't care about completion% in this game..........he threw the ball well and made the right reads. He was forced to throw some balls away and had some drops.......lets now act as if every incompletion he threw was off target.

16. BacktoQueens

All you got is college stats? c'mon, at least talk about what's he's done in the actual NFL.

#436 BacktoQueens, Dec 18, 2018
  17. BroadwayAaron

Checking in to see if we’ve explained away Josh Allen completing under 50% of his passes. Again.

18. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

How I'd rank them after 16 weeks.

1. Mayfield (by far)
    2. Darnold
    3. Jackson
    4. Allen
    5. Rosen

Jets81 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

20. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I like how pro Allen folks like to add his rushing td’s to his totals... I don’t want my qb running around like a chicken with his head cutoff. He is no different than Hackenberg as a thrower and many of us pro-Mayfeld (who were ridiculed leading up to the draft) saw it...

Also if we are going to add his rushing td’s are we just going to ignore his 8 fumbles.

I am so so happy Allen is not a NY Jet and we have Darnold. This is not even a debatable comparison right now.