The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

LOL You pass and we'll take him. Way to oversimplify and completely overlook all of his accomplishments. Arians took a team who did nothing under Pagano and lead them to a division title in Indy as an interim HC. That's talent. The Colts realize they messed up by giving Pagano the job back. Arians then took a moribund franchise in Arizona and turned them into an instant contender.

His offense is known for a lot more than one snippet that you listed and that's why you need quality OL anyways regardless of what system any HC runs.

2 Time NFL coach of the year in Indy and Arizona, and 2 time SB champion as an Asst who Big Ben won a SB under and whom Ben credits for a lot of his best success in the league.

Arians has already said that he won't come back but the Jets would be fools not to offer him the house. He's way above Shanahan in terms of coaching innovation and it's not even close. He's a great football mind and his track record bears that out.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think shanahan needs to be added the poll.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

4. JetsNation06

His time passed when Elway and Davis retired. It's like Phil Jackson coming back without MJ/Pippen or Shaq/Kobe. They get exposed.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

What happened was Harbaugh keeps winning. They aren’t gonna get rid of him now, they are playing great football. They could end up in the AFC Championship or something

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Maybe, Football coach and basketball coach are very different though. I like the idea of shanahan in the sense that he wouldn’t be over his head and could possibly put together a great staff. A ceo type head coach that has coached a hof qb. I would probably take him over any of the current crop of first time candidates.
    Regardless, he should be added to the poll. We can remove jim harbaugh as that’s not happening

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I didn't simplify anything, there is a reason why Arians left the Steelers. How come Arians couldn't develop a QB in Arizona? He had Palmer and he played like crap the last couple of years there. Arians ain't coming here anyway cause of Bowles being fired. Pass on long developing plays that get the QB killed. Steelers had a good o-line and Big Ben was still getting beat up. Haley and the new OC probably added like 5 years to Big Ben's career.

8. BrowningNagle

Big pass on Shanahan. He was never that good of a coach anyway.

Plus if Shanahan comes, that means Bates will stay as OC and he sucks. Bates is Shanahans guy. We already know what the offense looks like with Darnold in Shanahan’s system. What are they 30th in the league?

9. JetsNation06

It's about wins and losses and results. Again he was named Coach of the Year in Arizona and Indy. Palmer played the best ball of his career post-Bengals under Arians. He didn't develop a QB in Arizona because their Front Office just like ours is dog crap. He also was overly loyal to Palmer as his skills clearly began to regress. It's no coincidence that Arians instantly turned each team around that he was the Head Coach of. Big Ben won a Super Bowl under his tutelage. Great coach. Jets should put a flier in on him but they probably won't.

10. 101GangGreen101

Cardinals drafts have been OK. Great coach? Yeah he is, but do I want his offense on the Jets? Probably not. Not a good fit for Sam, based on what his offense is predicated on, I don't want him. Arians won't take the call since they fired Bowles.

I don't mind him interviewing, but just not interested in the offense he runs.

11. BrowningNagle

I think Arians style would be great for Darnold's play. But I listened to an interview recently with Arians and he doesn't sound like someone who wants to come out of retirement and coach here. He was pining for the Cleveland job and saying that's the only one he'd take. And yeah, he loved Bowles, he's not gonna be the guy to take his job

cross him off

JetsNation06 likes this.
  12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Too old now.

Been away too long too.

JMO

Biggs likes this.
  13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I really don't want Mike McCarthy. Lotsa red flags with him.

I remember his teams playing some of the most ATROCIOUS playoff defense ever (Cardinals playoff game & they turned Kaepergimmick into a star for a bit).

From the options listed if Jim Harbaugh ain't coming then the Saints OC looks like the best option.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Arians resurrected Palmers career in Arizona. That's simply untrue.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He's not up to the job anymore. I loved Arians in AZ. He ran a great O and his defenses were always aggressive and creative. His special teams were awful and it cost the team a playoff run in 2016. If you could hire him as a special assistant QB whisperer fine. Head coach no way. The same is true for Shanahan. Once guys have checked out they are no longer plugged in. You want a HC who knows all the good young assistant and position coaches and has interacted with them professionally. There's something to be said for being in the game.

NCJetsfan and JetsNation06 like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

Palmer was awful the last couple of years. He was good for like 2 seasons and IMO, he was always a good qb. Palmer and Arians was a good pair. Stay in the pocket and employ a vertical offense. That's not Darnolds game.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Palmer was never awful. Injured isn't awful. The OL went to crap and Palmer refused to check down and got beaten up. He's game stats when he started his last two years were rock solid when he was able to start.

18. 101GangGreen101

So refusing to take what the defense gives him isn't on the QB? Like I said before Arians offense is all vertical and it requires the qb to hold onto the ball longer then normal for the plays to generate. That's a well known issue with Arians.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

They are 8-6, tied for last playoff spot with Tenn and Indy.
    Have games against Chargers and Browns remaining. Playoffs are no lock at this point.

I'm hoping they miss the playoffs, at which point I do think he'll be available as the new GM goes blank slate.

20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

No to the Saints OC. No more first time coaches. I don't want another guy learning on the job. We tried that with Bowles. Some guys can't learn

That's all Payton and Brees in New Orleans. Carmichael is not some brilliant offensive mind that's going to be a difference maker here. He's been the OC since 2009 and hasn't gotten a HC job anywhere. Because he's nothing special

With Darnold and the cap space we have the window of opportunity to win is about to open and we can't entrust this team with a 1st year coach. Granted the Jets may go ahead and hire a 1st timer anyway...but I wouldn't

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.