Scouting report on LT Jonah Williams

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Dec 17, 2018.

1. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. As others have suggested in different threads, this report suggests he projects as a RT or even guard in the NFL. In which case I would only think he's in play for the Jets if they can secure a trade down.

abc, TwoHeadedMonster and AlexJETS like this.
  3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I really can't see him falling very far, certainly not outside to top 7 or 8, so if we want him we can't trade down very far.

AlexJETS likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its in line with what I've been thinking about him. He did mostly a solid job against Clelin Ferrel in the Clemson game, but also did get beat badly on a few plays and those are the plays NFL fans are going to remember come sundays when they happen. He is a good prospect but not that lock down a great defender type left tackle you want in the top ten of a draft. He is probably the safest Oline man this year, hes goign to be a starter, just maybe not the answer many think he will be.

AlexJETS likes this.
  5. Leicester Jet

Who is the answer in the draft then? The latest CBS mock draft has him going No.1 to Arizona!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...riots-replace-rob-gronkowski-three-qbs-taken/

You can only pick from players on the board and we are in desperate need of O/L help

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

its because of his arm length and speed rushers can get around, but its more-so a technique issue. If he drops back on the kick-back, it will allow him to recover against speed rushers.

https://www.cover1.net/2019-nfl-draft-jonah-williams-alabama/

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't see a great answer for LT in the draft. We may not want to hear it, but our best bet may be resigning Beechum and trying to find help for the interior of the line later in the draft.

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Probably our best scenario is getting the 2 pick and trading down with a QB hungry team. Drafting later in the first round will give us a little better value for our pick. It might end up where taking any OL in the top 10 this draft is a reach. It is a shame we have had so many poor OL drafts the last 5 years.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Beechum is signed through next year so that is a fallback option. That may not be a bad plan as long as they start the OL rebuild now ...

Mogriffjr likes this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Usually teams draft a LT , they move them to the right side either at tackle or guard, then eventually to LT. In the case of Williams, I can see him starting either at guard or RT (Depends on Shell). But possibly the Jets either will put Long back at center, and you can put Williams at LG to take over for Carpenter.

Pepsiguy5 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  11. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I've been watching mostly highlights of these top rated guys and while I energetically concede that my opinions are not expert, professional, or even likely to be correct I think Jonah Williams is still the guy I want at the moment. Even if he's not a sure-fire all-stop NFL left tackle I think he looks like an almost 100% bet to at least be a "very good" NFL lineman and for ***ks sake that is exactly what this team needs at this moment in time.
    If the Jets were somehow able to magically trade down and still get him (or Little) then so much the better but assuming we're not lucky enough to pull that coupe off I say eff it.... just draft the guy we need. Even if its a few spots over his BPA rank.

Leicester Jet and almbleamal like this.
  12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

And for a recent example of how I picture this. A couple years ago the Cowboys drafted their center in the 1st round only to be met with snickers and flack from the expert panel because the guy wasn't rated that high. But it was exactly the guy the Cowboys felt they needed at the time and sure enough. A year or two later there he is making the pro bowl and getting credit for galvanizing the whole line.

Maybe not apples to apples and maybe Jonah wouldn't technically be quite as much of a "reach" in the draft but that's what I'm thinking.... this is the guy our team needs. And needs right now. Outside of Darnold this offense has just been neglected for too long and OL just makes everything better.

13. mrjet80

I say no to Long back at center. He’s much better at guard . It’ll be interesting to see what happens .

14. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

I think Long already has replaced Carpenter at LG, so I think we are looking for a new LT and C in draft/free agency/trades

15. Leicester Jet

Williams actually spent his first year at Bama as RT and then moved over to LT when Cam Robinson declared for the NFL Draft. I really hope we take him with our 1st pick and if we could get Ross Pierschbacher (Centre) in the 3rd I would be more than happy. Whether he will last until the 3rd is another thing but we can but dream!.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

But does he look fat though?

17. Leicester Jet

2. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama
    [​IMG]
    (Photo: Denon McMillan, 247Sports)
    Consensus Draft projection: Top 5

Why NFL wants him: A three-year starter for the Crimson Tide, you can count on one hand how many time this guy has missed a block. And that's precisely why he's a consensus Top 5 selection in most mock drafts. Those teams up high are looking for quarterback protectors and Williams is the most reliable in the 2019 draft. Williams would be an ideal pick-up for the New York Jets, since they've invested so much in quarterback Sam Darnold (if he's available).

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...-Dame-Oklahoma-Clemson-126827116/#126827116_2

CotcheryFan likes this.
  18. mrjet80

He should be the pick assuming EDGE is addressed in FA.

19. mrjet80

McKoy is a decent center also...I'm expecting a center - maybe at the top of the fourth if not third.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Is his haircut going to freak out jerkoffs?