Cimini laying it out - Good Read

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 13, 2018.

1. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Maccagnan hasn’t really done anything particularly wrong as far as I know/remember. He hasn’t drafted badly, it seems. And there’s probably a handicap to be given considering the coaching.
    I would get rid of Bowles and let Maccagnan actually have the reins. I may be way off base, but it seems he’s been carrying a ball-and-chain (a “Bowles-and-chain”?) from the beginning.
    #FreeGMMM

LAJet and MoWilkBeast like this.
  2. egelband

Miley Cyrus has ZERO head coaching experience. I’m fact, she has ZERO football coaching experience at all. She was Hannah Montana not Joe Montana.
    Sure, she’d be an improvement from Bowles, though.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  3. egelband

That’s a fair point. But I’d still lean toward letting Macc stay. Not sure McCarthy has huge leverage now anyhow. I suppose if a guy like Harbaugh wants the top job, they give it to him. But that’s pretty unlikely and I’m not sure there’s anyone else who’s command such accommodation.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. One might not be able to fully evaluate a draft, but one should be able to see flashes of talent and potential, and some of the players drafted should be able to see their way onto the field and have some impact or show promise. When over half of Mac's draft picks couldn't even make it onto the field or when they did make it onto the field, had no impact, showed no promise, then one does get a pretty good idea that the GM bought rotten groceries. That is further reflected in the fact that many of those players once cut have never been picked up by another NFL team and are out of the NFL.

5. NCJetsfan

I'm not sure if McCarthy has huge leverage, but if the rumors are true that Cleveland is very interested in him, then he does.

Many of us think that the team needs an experienced HC. It is a very young, undisciplined team. With the exception of Weeb Ewbank, Richie Kotite and Bill Parcells, every other HC in our history has been a novice HC who had to learn how to do his job on the job, and the team has suffered for it. With an experienced HC and solid CS we could quite possible turn the team around pretty quickly if we have an above average GM in terms of eye for talent. IMO we need to do everything possible to find and hire such a HC, be it Harbaugh, McCarthy, or a college HC like Chris Peterson. I'm deadset against any more defensive HCs, but at this point, I believe so strongly that we need an experienced HC I think that's more important than the offensive vs defensive aspect. First and foremost, we need a HC who will command respect, who will have the team disciplined, prepared each and every week, playing tough, smart, hard-nosed football, who knows how to manage the game and clock, who isn't ultraconservative/passive, who knows how to handle QBs, and who will know how to make in-game adjustments.

I don't think we find any or at least many of those qualifications in some "hot" young coordinator who barely has any coaching experience at all like Zac Taylor or DeFilippo or Bieniemy. I'm not sure that we'd even find them in the Saints' Carmichael or the Chiefs' Toub.

One thing is certain in my mind, and that is that Mac is not an above average GM. He's done a good job in some aspects of the GM position (handling contracts, the cap, trades), but in the most important aspects of the position, the draft and FA, he's been pretty bad. I've been probably his biggest supporter on this forum, but those days are over. I've seen enough evidence that he isn't the right man for the job. Because the Johnsons are so clueless, I'm certain that they wouldn't know whether he was the right man or the wrong man, and because of that, he'll probably be retained. As a result, the only types of candidates that will really be interested in the Jets job are those we really don't want or need...they'll be the young, novice coordinators eager to move up the ladder, or some older coordinator who either has never gotten a shot at being a HC or someone who was a HC once, failed, and wants another shot at it.

#65 NCJetsfan, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    egelband and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

We usually agree, but sorry, I have to disagree with you on this. Mac's 2015 draft was awful. Most of his 2nd-4th round picks are no longer on the team, and some of them are not even in the NFL any longer. That's bad. Players taken in those rounds, if not starters, should be solid depth and contributors. Four years into Mac's term as GM, the depth is no better than it was, there are still as many holes as there were, and in an offense-first league, our offense has little talent and is bad. It does appear that this last draft class may have been his best, but still the only impact or potential impact players on this team are Adams and Darnold, and maybe Leonard Williams. There are some other good and pretty good players, but not nearly enough. Mac has had several opportunities to upgrade our OL during FA and the draft over these 4 years. The OL classes in the draft haven't been stellar, but there have been good, and potentially great, OL that he has eschewed drafting, and during FA this year, he had the opportunity to fix the LG and C positions on the team and went cheap. I can't support him or his being GM any longer.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Just saying those groceries Mac bought were already expired.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Just hope they don't use Casserly and Wolf for the vetting.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So I was saying these "great talent evaluators" never pick these bad groceries ever. [Yeah. Right. HA!]

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

But Mac hasn't done a good job evaluating talent period ... and he let a first year OC hold draft picks hostage in Morton. I think Mac and Bowles were a horrible pairing. Mac was willing to work with Bowles, but I don't think it was vice versa based off the deadspin article with Pepper Johnson. Still Mac is the man with the power to turn that card in and he's failed in terms of building a roster with depth.

Could be wrong, the only way I would keep Mac is if McCarthy or Harbaugh were willing to work with him.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

There’s plenty of evidence to convict Mac and Bowles.

Start with the teams record and work back.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If people have time to waste they could pick three from every single team. Starting with the pats on down the line. The point is that while Mac has had as many hits as misses, so have many others. He is midle of the road at this point, thus if you find someone better PULL THE TRIGGER. But the most egregious issues remain with TB. He has not done squat with the good players, and we have HAD a fair share of them, from free agents to undrafted to first draft choices. He has systematically destroyed any talent provided. You can not fairly judge talent with him at the helm. HE CAN NOT COACH, PERIOD. He created a team of undisciplined under achievers subjected to mediocre game planning at best.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

How do we know Bowles isn't middle of the road and handicapped by a terrible GM?

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I know you know damned well the answer to that. That is laughable. Watch a game, any game against even inferior competition. Play calling, real time game adjustments, key substitions, coach selection, proper utilization of time outs, even remote awareness of time and field position, when to go on fourth versus punts. Oh and team discipline, or major lack thereof. Three years of getting progressively worst, yep, it must be Macs influence, which he has none.

dman928 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

Mac has just as many misses and far less hits in terms of draft picks, compare that to the Jags GM, the Bears GM (you can take Mack out of the equation). He has done an awful job evaluating talent. TB is a problem, Mac is also a problem. Just as Bowles cannot coach, Mac cannot pick good players. The regime must be purged.

He systematically destroyed any talent provided? Adams is a top 5 safety right now, Lee improved by leaps and bounds under Bowles watch. That's a BS statement. As soon as you realized they are both the problem, the better off you will be.

16. Bowles has had veteran teams that had talent(15-16),scorched earth teams(17) & now a young team w some talent in need of molding(18) & weve still seen the exact same stubborn,ass backwards,conservative undisciplined crap in every circumstance.

If he needs a stack roster to succeed thats a detriment on him & frankly those 15 & 16 teams ON PAPER had good talent but for being veteran laiden & the lack of QB. What happened? They came up short in the biggest of spots & several talented players(Revis/B Marshall/Wilk/Richardson/Ivory) All slowly deteriorated under his coaching & turned into a toxic locker room.So he got a young team of “his guys” yet it looks exactly the same

4 teams w drastically different talent structures & dynamics but the same crappy product;Its all MAC’s fault!

#76 KurtTheJetsFan, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I said it repeatedly that if there is a better GM choice so be it. I question who is available, and forget about McKenzie one draft wonder. So Lee was a Mac bust draft choice as claimed by many of you till early this season that was properly developed by Todd Bowles. Now that is real BS. TB has done much of nothing for this team, ever, the sooner you realize that the better. Forced everyone to play his style of dynasour offense and defense and adjusted shit to fit personnel strengths. We can do much better. If we want to purge Mac then we need an identifiable improvement. Have not seen many candidates yet. A lot of purging talk, but we might end up with a worst choice at GM with this idiotic ownership. Similar for TB, but no way we can do worst.

18. 101GangGreen101

I never thought Lee was a bust, I actually thought this was the year he would break out and he had a pretty good year. So we both have reasons why we do not like the respective member of the front-office. Only way I am keeping Mac is if McCarthy or Harbaugh thinks Mac is worth keeping around here. Bowles is already gone. There are plenty of GM candidates out there that are worth a look

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm ok with that approach, agree with you. I always was positive on Lee as well. I wonder if John H or McCarthy would demand more of a dual role for all personnel selection. I think Mac strength is more contract negotiation and cap management, which is also important.
    I can wait to see what our leadership will do.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

By the way, Jets had a chance to can MacCagnan when Chiefs released John Dorsey. I would have liked that signing.

Now? I don't see anyone clearly better than Mac. [But I do see a HC clearly sucking hard.]