New Org. Chart coming!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 7, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We're in the exact same position we were in when Mac was hired, except now we have a potential franchise QB who could end up anywhere from elite to bust.

Metstrife likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Falcons should have fired Dan Quinn and kept Kyle Shanahan, who was the real reason they made the SB. And considering Quinn has Matt Ryan to work with, you can make the case he's worse than Bowles.

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

On the bright side, your likely to live forever !!!

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That's funny to think the Falcons SHOULD have hired Bowles. If the Jets hired Quinn and the Falcons hired Bowles, in all likelihood, both teams are just as bad.

Kris 15, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"LOL Dude," just because you don't seem to understand the difference between objective and subjective or fact and opinion does not indicate there is a problem with my command of the English language; it does indicate your reading comprehension could use some improvement.

For example you wrote "His body of work commands zero respect from any head coach of note." To which I responded "As to the bolded, is that more subjective opinion, or do you have evidence to support it?" You have done nothing to support that claim.

Look, "Dude," it's perfectly okay for you to have opinions, that's what we're here for, but it's not okay to attempt to pass off those opinions as facts.

6. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

I think you might have been replying to the wrong ‘dude’ dude.

Of course it’s all about opinions. No problem with that! I’ve nothing against MM. He always comes across as likeable in interviews and as Jet fan I really wanted him and Bowles to succeed. I’m just basing my opinion on the evidence available.

I’m genuinely interested in what you think he’s done to be graded average across his tenure?

I also stand by my point that even if you do grade his performance as average, the Jets need much better than average given their performance in last decade

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry about the confusion, looks like 06 replied to my response that had been directed towards you. It was you that claimed, regarding MacCagnan, "His body of work commands zero respect from any head coach of note." Now I'm not quite sure when we started having coaches grade other teams' GMs but I did ask if there is any foundation for this claim or if it is simply a matter of opinion.

I stated a couple of times that my opinion of MacCagnan's performance was based largely on Cidusii's analysis in another thread. Since you asked, I looked it up so you can find it easier. In the "Fire Mike MacCagnan" thread post number 47 is by NYJ47 who lists the last four years of Jets draft history and indicates which have vanished from the NFL, which remain in the league on other teams, and which remain on the Jets. In post 54 of the same thread Cidusii breaks down the league average in retention of draftees and rates the retention of the Jets guys not just for being there but for the level at which they are contributing. Both guys did a lot of good work and I concur with the conclusion that the actual facts rather than simple gut feelings show the situation to be in the mid range in the league.

Would I prefer to have a guy available who can grade out as a solid "A" instead of a "C+"? Of course I would but I don't know where that guy is. I also know, and the latest Cimini piece underscores the fact, that the parallel HC/GM course the Jets have been on is not working. A clear chain of command (and responsibility) is required. Ideally that would have come from installing a football operations guy to oversee both the player personnel office and the field of play but there's no indication that will be forthcoming; timing indicates it will not. Assuming Bowles is a dead man walking that leaves two options: 1) Continue the "management of equals" scheme that has both the coach and GM reporting only to the ownership, and 2) Have the Head Coach report to the GM, as is customary with the majority of NFL teams, and the GM report to ownership.

We all know how option one has played out, I don't find it viable to continue along that road. Option two is the only way I see the team moving forward at this date and, because of the timing, don't believe there is ample time to find a replacement General Manager and have him in place fast enough to make the most of the field of potential candidates for the Head Coach job. Now, it is possible that Chris Johnson has had people (consultants again) working on selecting a new GM already but that would still require him to be on board before getting deeply involved in getting the best coach but there has been not the slightest inkling that is the case. On the other hand, Johnson, MacCagnan and a few insiders could already be knee deep in distilling down the pool of coaching targets. If that's the way it's going down it may not have been important for Bowles to have been let go at the bye week when many expected that outcome.

I want the Jets to be ready to act quickly as soon as they are eligible to interview candidates before the right guy gets hired away elsewhere; the best way I see to assure that is to retain MacCagnan.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not going to argue that your conclusions aren't based upon some facts, and I respect that, but the several posters that you've been arguing with are also basing their conclusion on facts, just a different set of them, or a different interpretation. The bottom line for me is that Macc is, at best, an average GM, all things considered, and the Jets need an above- average, or even better, great GM to build this team into a sustainable winner. From what I've seen of Macc's "vision" there is no overarching plan, there is no IDENTITY that he's shooting for, his method seems to be get the the BPA in the draft, regardless of position need, and sign guys cheaply. This is what his 4 year record shows.

Compare to the consistently good teams: Patriots, Steelers, Packers, Broncos, Vikings - these teams have an identity, and draft/sign players that fit it. Those players may not be the BPA, but they fit the scheme that the team uses and therefore improve the team. Macc shows no desire to do this. He drafts based on hos own set of criteria, without regard to whether the Jets need that player/position, or that player's make up.

The only aspect I agree with you about Macc and whether to fire him is: can they find someone better, keeping in mind who the "search committee" (The J&J Boys) is? I'm resigned to the fact that Macc will be retained, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it, or think that somebody cold do the job better, I just don't think that somebody is going to appear.

KurtTheJetsFan and Metstrife like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Reggie McKenzie is looking for a job. He wouldn't be a novice having to learn on the job.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bowles would probably fire Kyle Shanahan, can't have an innovative passing game here!

FJF likes this.
  11. I mean..does he likely have a slightly better track record than MAC? i guess.But hes had the benefit of a highly respected scouting network which the Raiders have always had while Mac completely restructered the jets entire scouting operation.

Bottom line is..i dont see him as much of an upgrade to Mac..not enough to allow the Johnsons to do another arranged marriage w whoever theyd pair him w at HC.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good point.

I keep thinking there HAS to be somebody out there who would be better than Macc, but I don't know who that would be...I don't know who would be available and wold also be an upgrade.

Here's a good article that puts finding/hiring a good GM in perspective. It notes that almost no GMs ever get a 2nd chance, unlike HCs, which is odd. Maybe givng Phil Savage a second chance would be a good idea.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...rty-hurney-belichick/yf417wiskv3tzhhnsoh5607l

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think he would be a definite upgrade over Mac. Mac hasn't found us a defensive player at the level of Mac or an offensive player at the level of Amari Cooper yet, although both Adams and Darnold could get there. He might even be able to bring some of those highly respected scouts with him following the draft.

Why did you even mention an arranged marriage? There's no reason why it would have to be an arranged marriage. If the Johnsons identified him immediately as a GM candidate that they're definitely interested in, they could contact him and interview him now, and if he blew them away in the interview, could hire him before the season was even over, or if they didn't want to fire Mac until after the season, could fire Mac the day the season ends and hire Reggie the next morning. Reggie could immediately get to work on figuring out who he wanted to interview. It doesn't have to be a lengthy process.

I think that Reggie would also make a worthy candidate for our VP of Football Ops.

14. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

When are we ever going to get better? When was the last time we made it to the playoffs?