The Official 2019-20 Mike MacCagnan thread..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 9, 2018.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The real answer is Toilet Bowles has told the clueless owners how to direct Macs drafts and Free Agents since they both can call the Johnson hotline without the other knowing..heh

JetsNation06 likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're entitled to your opinion, but claiming your opinion is based on facts and other people's aren't is ignorant at best.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Look again.

As I stated, my opinion is based upon the facts as presented by Cidusii. They are there for all to see. In spite of being prompted numerous times, 06 has not supported his claims with any evidence - do you know they're based on? There is nothing ignorant about that at all.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

His facts are not "facts." Statistics can be skewed to represent any viewpoint. They are skewed or faulty. That was clearly explained shown in several responses to his post, and I may be mistaken, but believe that he admitted as much.

5. Ralebird

I have reviewed all posts in the thread after Cidusii's original and find none that challenge any of his figures. There are some that quibble with his methodology but do not cite any flaws in his numbers. There is also nothing from Cidusii that resembles a retraction or admission of error in his original posting.

After further review, I have no problem using his post to help me form my opinion of MacCagnan's effectiveness.

I found Post number 73 particularly interesting.

6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

The stark contrast between the good and bad Mac in one game.

The bad.

It has become abundantly clear that Nathan Shepard was a massive reach.

Real nice story, looked great in camp, good dude but other than senior bowl week, what prompted him to be a third round pick. He was/has been nearly invisible. 25 year old guys from Canada and then Fort Hayes State should be 6th or 7th round picks or UDFA.

Again, love the dude, great guy but a 3rd rounder?

The good.

We got Henry Anderson for a SEVENTH ROUNDER.

The guy has been one of our most productive d-lineman. Can’t remember a Jet DE with 3 sacks in a game.

Is he a superstar? No, but again we got him for a 7th rounder. He has given us incredible production for the draft capital.

And he fucked up Hauschca for being a tripping pussy.

#106 Rollo Tomassi, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  7. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

There is nothing that can convince me that Macc can draft well after the 1st round.I think is time to move on and bring a new G.M.

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Wonder if Woody likes the reporting structure because it makes him feel important. Would he rather be in the thick of things and losing or be an observer and winning?

My guess: he’s a high school girl who feeds off of the drama.

Basically anyone we hire starts out with a handicap.

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Yesterday's game pretty much highlighted again that even if Darnold is playing his ass off and showing that he is the future, our roster is so devoid of talent that unless we get a diff front office and coaching staff, this team isn't going anywhere.

Maccagnan drafted two wide receivers, cut them a year later, and both of them aren't even in the NFL anymore.....100+ mil in cap space isn't going to help this team. What will help is if we hit on our first 3-4 picks. You can supplement those picks with free agents to further bolster poor position groups.

I don't think the johnsons are going to clean house, I think they'll probably regret not doing so.

What big name coach will come here knowing maccagnan's draft/FA history?

10. Ralebird

Anyone who is not a head coach now or when he is free to move at season's end.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

No to mention, what does the new coaches contract look like compared to Macs? Does a new coach want to work for/with a guy who could be gone in a year or 2? That’s not an ideal situation for a coach who will probably expect to get about 4 years to build a winner, and Mac just doesn’t/shouldn’t have that long.

I’m also starting to agree on the cap space comment as well. We’re not the only team with money, and of those teams we’re not even necessarily the most desirable to play for.

grkmanga31 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

From and ESPN article (and what we’ve already touched on here):

They figure to have $107 million in cap space, based on a $190 million ceiling, according to overthecap.com. That's a lot of loot -- only the Indianapolis Colts($124 million) have more -- but it's a bit deceiving because the Jets have a league-low 29 players under contract. Nearly half the roster is headed to free agency, and that will eat into the cap surplus.

In my opinion this is a double edged sword. A new coach/GM can come in and help to shape most of the roster to their liking, but it’ll mean more growing pains in the near future. It also means we don’t have as much money in the war chest as as think because we’ll need a lot of money for role players to fill all of the potential holes.

I’m thinking that with only 29 players under contract there is a lot of negotiating to be done, some of which is already under way. This could work for Mac in that bringing in a new GM now would upset those negotiations and force a new GM to start from scratch. Between that and the draft, it would be a tall order for any new GM to handle.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Again, negotiations with a lot of mediocre players is not even close to a compelling enough reason to keep a piss poor GM like Mac. If we're talking about negotiations for a franchise changer like Rodgers or Gurley then sure. But for the current Jets roster, no reason a new GM can't come in and pick up negotiations right where they left off under Mac. That's a secondary reason.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Piss poor is right!!!! A lot of fans on this message board wants the jets to trade down in round 1 and assemble more picks...a good idea, but will it even matter with MacCagnan making those selections?? It would be some kind of trade down and then more Hackenbergs, Devin Smiths, Stewarts, Hansens, Mauldins, etc. And never ever a decent offensive lineman from Mike McNitwit in the draft. What good will it do to trade down and get more picks without a GM who can evaluate talent? John Idzik had a pile of picks in 2014, and he was grabbing guys like Dexter McDougal in round THREE when many teams had McDuck as an undrafted free agent. Oh yeah, McDougle is out of the league now, too. Here's an idea--Fire both Maccagnan and Bowles on black Monday. Give new meaning to the phrase addition by subtraction.

15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Mike Maccagnan has made lots of questionable decisions, but he found the franchise QB. Like it or not, he probably deserves a chance to build around him.

And not for nothing, but there are 2 factors that always elevate the level of talent on the roster:
    1) A franchise QB
    2) good coaching

With Darnold and (hopefully) a better coach, maybe some of these draft “misses” will start to pan out.

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

He didn't find sh*t. Darnold was a can't miss prospect going in the top 5 regardless and Mac just happened to move up a few spots to get him. Please stop acting like Mac is this whiz kid impresario who found Darnold outside of the 1st round because that's not what happened. I'll give him credit for moving up 3 picks but that's it.

He in no way deserves to spend $100M and another draft to blunder the ultra valuable (2nd-4th round) and late round picks that he has consistently missed on and the ones that should already be on the roster that Darnold could've grown with this year.

Also which draft misses are you planning on suddenly panning out? Why do people on here continue to give Mac a pass and act like he's not that bad? He's bottom tier bad when it comes to putting talent on this roster through the draft.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Darnold is not the franchise QB yet and may never be if Mac keeps missing on his draft picks.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  18. Big Cat

Trading up in March was incredibly forward thinking and savvy. What do you think the price would have been to move up from 6 to 3 on the clock if Darnold was still on the board? It would’ve been astronomical.

He did a great job of getting the QB question right. GM’s usually get an opportunity to see out their quarterback picks, and I don’t see why Mac would be any different.

As far as other picks panning out goes, I’m more referring to future picks than past ones. I think player development is a gigantic component of the draft, and it’s obvious that Bowles and his staff were clueless when it came to that aspect of the job. I wouldn’t be surprised if a guy like John Harbaugh came in and all of a sudden Mac’s draft conversion rate skyrocketed. How do you think the Steelers and Pats keep shitting out new WR’s and RB’s every year? It’s a combination of the right QB and good development. I think Mac’s team building strategy is fundamentally sound and if the draft success rate can be enhanced by those factors then he will be a solid GM.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hope so because it looks like he's staying, but the Hansen, Stewart, Hack, Mauldin, and Smith picks make me worried.

20. Big Cat

He has made some trash picks, but so has every GM. The 2016 Rams didn’t look like they had much talent on their roster at all outside of Gurley and Donald. Then McVay comes in and Goff develops and the roster looks loaded.