Baker Mayfields career

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by forevercursed, Apr 26, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

BS. If the Giants were that high on Mayfield they would've used that excuse long before Mayfield took off, back when they were originally getting flack for not taking a QB. Gettleman made it very clear he didn't like any of the QBs and was never taking anyone but Barkley.

FJF likes this.
  2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

So you believe a possible smokescreen before the draft but not one subsequent to the draft.

abc and Harpua like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

Gettleman said he didn't like any of the QBs after the draft. That "anonymous" sources now say he liked Mayfield is ass covering. For his sake he'd better hope Darnold doesn't work out.

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Is it not possible that Gettleman himself was covering his own ass after the draft after not getting the one QB he really wanted?

And that the anonymous source is actually the truth?

None of what anyone says before or after the draft is gospel.

Unless I see a picture of their actual draft board I'll take what anyone says with a grain of salt.

5. HomeoftheJets

Gettleman didn't need to say anything after the draft because nobody was going to hold it against him for not getting the first pick. He just needed to say he didn't want any of the QBs on the board. Instead he went on a weird rant that Barkley was the only player he ever wanted, and everyone else, Mayfield included, was nothing compared to Barkley. So even though I could be wrong, I don't think Gettleman would have taken Mayfield over Barkley.

6. Rollo Tomassi

Considering the season Barkley is having, then why float the fake rumor now?

Makes no sense.

And Gettleman’s ravings seemed, at the time, a little doth protest too much.

But no one will ever really know.

abc likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

Because despite how well Barkley is playing, the Giants are going nowhere without a new franchise QB, which isn't something Gettleman didn't realize. And Mayfield is playing so well now that Gettleman looks bad for trashing him earlier. So he leaks a rumor that he knew Mayfield was going to be good, which makes him look better and can never be proven wrong.

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  8. Rollo Tomassi

That TD was a bad throw that the WR made a great play on.

Lolololololol

9. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Well they had an OC with historical success trying to make Mayfield fit into the system/mould that had worked and it didn't work.

Replace him with a coach with no backstory who was able to say Baker isn't Ben so what can I/we do that works for this guy.

Will the Jets do the same or try to make Sam the next <insert name of previously worked with QB>?

HomeoftheJets and stinkyB like this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

What makes you think they can't get one this offseason?

11. HomeoftheJets

They can, though it isn't so easy. But spreading the Mayfield rumor makes Gettleman look good regardless, so he can do that too.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think it's just a poke at us. He gets it the Jets and Giants are rebuilding and trying to win to get the next generation of fans. It's up to Sam and the Jets organization to beat him to the top. Believe me the Giants ownership will never forget when the Jets owned this town. The race is on...

Noam and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. Rollo Tomassi

Still a really flimsy reason for spreading a rumor.

I’m going with they wanted Baker first and none of the other QBs. Defaulted to Barkley and gushed over him because they were shocked.

abc likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

The problem with your theory is that until the day of the draft, nobody was reporting that teams were high on Baker. It's possible teams were spreading false rumors to keep their Baker love secret, but I've never seen something like that happen in previous drafts. Having said that, after the draft, we found out the Browns were high on him, and a couple of other teams as well (McVay said he liked Baker best). But there was nothing saying the Giants liked Baker. In fact, pretty much every report, even after the draft when there was no more incentive to lie, said the Giants liked Baker least. For example: https://nypost.com/2018/05/03/giants-havent-been-this-satisfied-with-a-draft-in-a-long-time/. So I'm sticking with my theory that the Giants wanted Barkley and are spreading the Baker rumor to cover their asses if Darnold becomes a franchise QB. Or some troll, knowing that Baker is click-worthy, made up the rumor for attention. That could easily be the real explanation.

15. Rollo Tomassi

Believe what you want. Hahn seemed to be pretty sure of it and he seems very connected in NY sports that predated Gettleman.

abc likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

Say the rumor is true. Why is it coming out now, right when Mayfield has established himself as the best rookie QB, as opposed to any other time between the draft and now?

17. Rollo Tomassi

Hahn was subbing for somebody in the ESPN day slot and was doing a football show and discussing the future of the Jets and Giants. It was something he had heard back during the draft, not something he just heard.

Believe what you want.

18. HomeoftheJets

Then why didn't Hahn report the rumor back then? At the time there were tons of rumors the Giants didn't like Baker, so wouldn't Hahn have every incentive to report it?

Also I'm asking you these questions to see if you can change my mind.

19. Rollo Tomassi

He’s not on all the time and he wasn’t breaking a big story.

I hadn’t heard him in a while, I think he was sitting in for Stephen Smith-it wasn’t his regular slot (I have no idea when that is and he usually does the NBA).

And I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind. Just letting folks know what someone somewhat in the know said.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

Dude can’t make NFL throws, won’t play for a minimum 2 years, inaccurate, weak arm, too small. 25 years old.

Dude has been completing about 70% of his passes since Hue was fired.

Just like at Oklahoma.

And winning. For the Browns.

The fucking Cleveland Browns.

I wish that emo jerkoff would come back and explain Mayfield’s 25% drop off.

Doesn’t know QBs.

Doesn’t understand math.