I'm worried we're gonna see a repeat of the 2003 offseason in 2019 with Robbie Anderson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Dec 13, 2018.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

When Bradway put a lowball tender on Coles leaving the door open for Washington to sign him away.

Which would be inexcusable with $100 million in cap space.

I know it hasn't been the kind of season we all wanted to see from Robbie for whatever reason they weren't able to get him involved more in the offense for most of this season. Then injuries hit. It seemed he had zero chemistry with Darnold.

This past Sunday against Buffalo for the first time it looked like Darnold & Robbie were clicking. It could be the start of something special.

Robbie is a game changer. He's one of the fastest, most explosive wide receivers the Jets have ever had. If Darnold turns into the type of QB we hope he is then Anderson is a guy the Jets should want to keep long term.

If the Jets mess around with the tender this offseason instead of signing him to a extension then they're gonna lose him just when it starts to look like he's developing a connection with our franchise QB. Exactly like 2003.

azhar80 likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Coles had a much bigger body of work. Anderson IS explosive, and he has some ability, but he hasn't yet shown he can do it consistently, at least with Sam. I've changed my mind towards his worth, and think he's worth retaining, but not if he asks too much. What's too much? IDK, but whatever "star WR money" is, would be too much for him right now.

That said, he fills a needed spot, so I wouldn't lowball him either. They don't have too many good players, and while I don't think he's proven to be reliably good yet, he has the potential, so they should tread carefully. He needs to keep playing like he did Sunday to really cinch things.

papapump, twown and JetsNation06 like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's nothing special about Robby Anderson, you can find other players in the league with his abilities. You just haven't heard of them. Like their fanbases haven't heard of Anderson.

abc, NoodleArm, Obey The D and 7 others like this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

But but but...Robby has a signature haircut.

Doesn't that bother you?

5. WarriorRB28

He has his hair braided/dreads however you want to call it not all over the place. He doesn't show up to games looking like a unkempt bum.

6. WarriorRB28

Dude was a undrafted free agent he's worked his way up to NFL starter, one of the top deep threats in the game. Clearly the work ethic is there. He has some off the field issues but overall I think he's a good long term investment for the Jets.

I think Robbie has star potential if Darnold is who we hope he is.

azhar80 likes this.
  7. WarriorRB28

Oooookay.

8. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Gotta give you this

He was an UDFA

So to get to this decent level means he either worked hard and/or other teams were worried about him getting into trouble and his height.

As of now I’m on the fence. Sometimes I feel like he is quality, but more often than not he is ghost.

The thing with Coles is that he had a more consistent dependable career arc. More like Enunwa minus the beast mode.

Interesting to see what develops.

azhar80, abc and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Robbie needs to still improve his ability to get open on routes that aren't deep routes. He easily disappears some games.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rohirrim665, azhar80, abc and 2 others like this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That's really all Robbie was used for (deep routes) but the past few weeks, given the opportunity, he has shown he's more than a one trick pony.
    He will be given a first or second round tender. The difference is roughly $1 million dollars. $3 mill for a second round vs 4 million for a first round tender. Either way the Jets will have right of first refusal and can match the offer if they choose to do so. If not they get a first or second round pick.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Def does not look fat

12. Rollo Tomassi

What is it with you and hair?

It's so weird.

And so random.

One dudes signature haircut is awful, another dudes signature haircut is perfectly fine.

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

There’s no reason not to tender him with a first or second round tag. The second round tag is around 3M and the first tag is around 4.5M. We either keep our deep threat or we get a high pick

14. Rollo Tomassi

Maybe SolidGoldMcCarthy was right and Robby IS Randy Moss.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly. Anderson isn't remotely like the Coles situation.

The team opted to tender Coles a one-year, $1.3 million deal, a second-level offer that meant any team that signed Coles would have to forfeit a first-round pick. Had the Jets made the offer $1.8 million, the price tag would have increased to first- and third-round choices. The Jets had the right to match any offer and retain him.

Washington gave Coles a stupid contract that the Jets decided to pass. The mistake the Jets made was on the low tender on an established star that was just reaching his prime.

We compounded the mistake by using the pick to trade up to take Dewayne Robertson.

With the rookie salary cap, a mid round pick is worth more than overpaying a player like Anderson.

azhar80 and ConcordeChops like this.
  16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I want to agree with this sentiment.

I think we should keep Robby, but tbh I won't be devastated if he's a goner.

HomeoftheJets and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  17. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

He hasn't been what we expected, but I ddo think it would be a mistake letting him go

18. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I think this is the position I am at right now. Robby is a really good deep threat, but that seems to be the main positive for him. His previous off-field issues also cause me a little bit of concern. I would make Enunwa more of a priority to re-sign than giving robby a big extension

azhar80 and CotcheryFan like this.
  19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

if that was to be our biggest regret in 2019 then I would gladly take it

FJF likes this.
  20. WarriorRB28

With $100 million in cap space I say overpay him.

Within reason of course.

Everyone knows they're gonna overpay _____ (fill in the blank with another team's free agent) on the open market.

Anderson is a home grown talent. Overpay a bit to keep him. It'd be inexcusable to lose him or create a bitter situation between him & the team with all that cap space.