Cimini laying it out - Good Read

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I’m going to go on a skinny, rotten, weak limb

Keep Mac

Fire Todd

Let him hire a HC

I know this is unpopular but I have a feeling ...

Heh

NYJFOREVER, egelband and FJF like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's just gas. :p:cool:

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't understand your logic here. That Macc acquiesced to Bowles' demands is a grounds for firing? Based on what? Remember. Bowles does not report to Macc. They are on equal footing. How would any GM behave in that situation? Throw a tantrum? Make a demand? Quit? If at all, that fault goes straight to Johnsons, not Macc.

Moreover, if Johnson keeps doing the same stupid shit - leaving the GM and HC at the equal level, making them report directly to him - it is not going to matter who he fires and who he hires, no?

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Good point. That should be the way the Jets approach this.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. boozer32

What Johnson should have done is get a Director of Football Operation hired already. He would access the Jets situation (the easiest part of the job and wouldn't take long). Let him get a working list of candidates and as soon as the season ends fire whomever he wants and, then start the interviewing.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But Cimini didn't go there in this column, although it had been mentioned elsewhere, by whom I don't remember. Is it for real? Was it stated to illustrate a larger divide between Bowles and MacCagnan than really existed? Who knows.

There's a lot of ancient history in this piece; what happened before 2015 just tells us how the Jets plane ran off the runway, which we already knew. The question now is how to get the plane back in the air. I think the most important takeaway here is the Enunwa quote, take another look:

"There has to be change," Enunwa said. "Without change, you can't have change. Things have to change mentally. There has to be a different mentality, just more discipline. I don't think it's the talent at all. A lot of guys around the league respect us as a team because they see the talent, but we do dumb stuff. That's what we have to change."

Sure, it's one guy's opinion but he's a lot closer to what's going on than any of us. He says the talent is good but nobody is preparing them to play. I was a strong proponent of a Football Ops guy but it's pretty clear that's not happening now. It's also too late to hire a new GM and have him hire a coach. That leaves two choices, neither ideal but one clearly better than the other and the clock is ticking.

Choice One: Fire Bowles; current ownership and GM (and yes, possibly with the aid of consultants) hire a new coach. This choice would already be well underway.

Choice Two: Fire Bowles and MacCagnan; current ownership (undoubtedly with the aid of consultants) replaces both GM and coach simultaneously. Sounds a lot like "Lather, Rinse, and Repeat" to me but could also be underway.

7. boozer32

What a depressing article. The truth hurts and what Enunwa said was telling. They have to stop doing stupid stuff. The Jets have talent but they do stupid stuff at crucial times. That goes to coaching. Another offseason of uncertainty. Which coach will be hired?

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Relax. You'll have your answer before January is over.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Thanks for posting.... yes, depressing, but unfortunately what most of us already realized. This is bad though:

""There has to be change," Enunwa said. "Without change, you can't have change. Things have to change mentally. There has to be a different mentality, just more discipline. I don't think it's the talent at all. A lot of guys around the league respect us as a team because they see the talent, but we do dumb stuff. That's what we have to change.""

and
    "I'm sorry to say it, but our organization is bad," said a former Jets player, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "[We're] the Browns of the Northeast. It'll be a long time before they win. The folks they have don't care. They're protecting each other from getting fired and bulls--- the owner when he shows up. They need an overhaul. They're content with losing."

"They don't fit the mentality of the fan base," a former Jets staffer said of the current leadership. "Show some guts, show some balls. There's none of that. They need to hire someone who can identify with the fan base."

10. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

If you keep Macc, are we limiting the new HC to a first timer, a promoted coordinator?

Most agree that we need an experienced HC this time. But will we get a Mike McCarthy-type if he has to answer to Macc

egelband likes this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If Macc tries to come off like he's the last word on everything, he won't get a McCarthy or anyone worth a damn. Macc will have to sell a established HC on coming to a losing team, a losing culture and a hostile almost apathetic fanbase. The last thing Macc should do is try to sell the Jets as if they're a team on the cusp of a SB run or anything other than a work in progress. The downside is that any established HC thinking about his legacy would stay far away from the New York Jets given the present situation.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Mac knew that the players Bowles wanted were not that good, then he shouldn't have drafted them and should have drafted players that he knew would be better. Mac's job was to fix the roster, and he hasn't. He has missed way too many draft picks. It's the GMs job to get the best players he can for the team that fit the systems the team uses. It's the HC's job to coach, develop and put those players in a position to succeed, not to tell the GM what players he wants.

I agree with you that the equal footing thing with the Johnsons is moronic and will never work with the Jets as long as they own the team. The GM needs to be in charge and the HC needs to report to the GM.

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Wrong. She'd smoke some weed, use a wrecking ball, and tear it all down. Just smash The New Dump first, that's all I ask. Go, Miley!

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Tear it down while playing Wrecking Ball. After it's torn down, play Party In The USA.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There’s a certain sarcastic poster here that has been mocking me for weeks for saying this exact thing: (from the article)

—-

“I'm sorry to say it, but our organization is bad," said a former Jets player, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "[We're] the Browns of the Northeast. It'll be a long time before they win. The folks they have don't care. They're protecting each other from getting fired and bulls--- the owner when he shows up. They need an overhaul. They're content with losing."

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The only way ownership changes course is to protect the bottom line.

If the fans stop going to games and stop buying merchandise, it will be a message they can't ignore.

17. Better yet Woody takes the offense Chris takes the defense & the lucky fan sitting in section 666 row Z seat X is our head coach of the week!

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

it was pretty depressing reading but this was just painful to read "The Jets are in a constant state of rebuilding -- 2013, 2014, 2017 and 2018 -- unable to create any traction. The current regime, led by general manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles, turned over the roster it inherited, but the results haven't improved. Only seven players in uniform Sunday were holdovers from the first Maccagnan-Bowles roster in 2015."

To have that level of turnover with the same results to me points to the coaching more than anything

Also this - "The heart of the team at this point should be players from the 2013-15 drafts, but only three of the 25 picks are contributing to the Jets: Williams, Enunwa and Brian Winters." and "The Jets have drafted six quarterbacks since 2011, only two of whom remain in the league: Darnold and Geno Smith."

#38 JetsUK, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Ralebird and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Don't we already have a "fire macc" thread?

FJF likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If you read the fine print underneath the varnish the following is painfully obvious to me
    1- The structure that was created by the J&J hiring process was a nightmare. Which many of us pointed out since day one
    2- Todd and Mac where not remotely on the same page, and there was no one with half a brain that could adjudicate the differences between the two
    3- Todd was hired first, not sure who the hell picked him, but he is IMO the most incompetent HC ever in the history of the Jets. Further more his selection of coaches was even more idiotic. He clearly underperformed with whatever talent was given, and apparently was totally resistant to Mac personnel selection process.
    4- TB was incapable to adjust the strategy to fit the talent, thus he might have driven Mac more than Mac could possibly drive TB which was zero, in my view. I think the notion that players like TB is also a myth.
    5- TB should have been fired long ago. Finding the right new HC should be # 1 priority
    6- In my view Mac future is totally dependent on the new HC selection and/or the availability of a better GM. If the new HC has trouble with Mac as a GM or a better candidate is available first he is history. We might even run into a scenario like Grudden and the Raiders if we can steal a great guy like John H, where he takes over for both and assign a cap guru to run the financials
    7- If we learned one thing, no football decision should ever be elevated to the J&J so we better fix it by putting the right structure in place. First step for the owners, keep Caserly the hell out of the selection process and get Wolf involved with the GM/HC search.
    While finding both replacements is ideal, I can actually live with giving Mac a pass worst case. But if TB is still here next year is turn off the lights for me. Can't stand watching this keystone cops performance anymore

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.