The Official 2019-20 Mike MacCagnan thread..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 9, 2018.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think his drafts have been ho hum at best but I would fire this assclown for not addressing the O line in the 4 years that he's been here and his philosophy of building the O line thru free agency and with late round / IF ANY picks --> blows and has not worked

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The plan for free agency has been to save the money until they're ready to pull the trigger; that's why there's over $100 million sitting there ready to be put to use.

stinkyB and MoWilkBeast like this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Hence the perfect time to Fire Mac and bring in someone qualified to properly spend the money.

PJ4Ever, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Ralebird

If the company line is to build up that war chest it hardly seems like the guy doing what the owner wants should pay the price.

5. JetsNation06

You don't merely keep someone around who builds up the war chest. A numbers cruncher could do that. The GM needs to be able to give the coaching staff more talent to work with. Mac has failed in that regard.

PJ4Ever and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. Ralebird

If the boss tells you not to sweep the floor now but to clean the bathroom, you're not getting fired because the floor is dirty, you're doing what the boss wants.

7. JetsNation06

Way to keep dancing around the issue at hand which is the talent on this team. Furthermore if you're Mac and you're relying on the know nothing bosses known as the Johnsons to tell you how to do your job then the team's in deeper shit than anyone thinks. It's the GM's job to know how to assemble a roster and clearly he has failed at that through 4 years on the job. That's the crux of the matter here.

If you think the Jets talent level is better than bottom 10 in the league then lay it out. That is strictly on Mac.

8. Ralebird

You just don't get it. When the boss tells you not to spend a lot of money until he's ready to do it, you don't spend the money, regardless of what you think he knows or not. Or you don't have a job and the next guy isn't going to spend the money either.

Your penultimate sentence is not something I have addressed - perhaps it was meant to be directed at someone else.

9. JetsNation06

You don't seem to get it. FA is only one part of the equation. Drafting is the other part, and the more important part, in terms of building a sustainable, long term competitive franchise.

I want Mac nowhere near the FA side of spending the $100M that he's saved up because he's failed at the drafting part and also been subpar in his FA moves as well. That's a recipe for disaster.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Oh, I get it just fine. I'm not telling you what to want and I'm perfectly okay not agreeing with you.; perhaps you've forgotten that neither draft picks nor free agents come with guarantees.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

In Mac's defense, when he had to spend the $ they went from last place to a Fitzpatrick week 17 choke away from 11-5 and the playoffs...

Unfortunately as we know that's a shitty way to build a team (will never sustain success) and his drafts havent been very good (he has handled trades and free agents and contracts fairly well though.... and that's why I'm 50/50 on him)

CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. JetsNation06

LOL nice deflect. So you have no comeback for Mac's poor drafting and poor FA signings and yet you think he should be in charge of their Brinks truck this offseason? That's all I needed to know.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Yes, they are huge ifs. What I meant was that I have more hope for this draft class than the previous 3.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  14. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I still can't get over him whiffing on 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks--off the team and virtually out of the league within one year.

Maybe we weren't getting starters with those picks but at the very least you had to get SOME depth.

We're going into this weekends game with about 1.5 RBs and 1.2 WRs.

Watching KC last night it looked like they had about 8 different guys catching passes.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if the rest of the offices are dirty, he's not gonna get to keep his job because he cleaned the bathroom. He's responsible for cleaning the whole office.

In Mac's case, he was also told to fix the roster and he hasn't. He was hired to work with Bowles and if the recent reports are accurate, he and Bowles have been at odds, even if they've acted professionally towards each other in front of others. Supposedly, neither Mac nor Bowles care if they win or lose and have been lying to Woody and Chris Johnson to save their jobs. Also, according to a recent article, it made it sound like Mac had the option of beginning the complete rebuild his first year, but opted not to until last year, and then came up with the plan to save his job. If true, that along with all these other things are definite grounds for being fired, I don't care if he has amassed a lot of money to be used in FA. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to cut older, overpaid players and replace them with younger, cheaper players. Maybe Mac should be cleaning the bathroom. Surely, he'd be more competent at that than managing the draft and FA.

16. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Didn't Mac get the job in 2015? Not sure how you can blame him for the poor drafts in 2012 & 2014. His 2015 draft was pretty bad, but one could attribute that to him not having his full scouting department in until after the draft.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Good thing he got that scouting department in just in time to draft Hack!

18. Ralebird

Frame it any way it makes you happy. You think his drafting and free agent signings have been poor, I believe they've been about average.

Assuming you believe Bowles also needs to go and if the Jets were going to change the structure to include a head of football operations they would have done it already how do you propose to change the GM and head coach without ending up in the same situation that has not worked the last two times?

19. JetsNation06

They haven't been average in any way, shape or form and that's why the roster is so devoid of talent. Either you don't understand that or you choose to refuse to believe it. I told you to lay out how you believe his drafts have been average and you did not do so. Your problem. He was wayyy more misses than hits.

My reply also answers your question above. Adding to that I think the best way to go is probably hire a big time HC like a McCarthy or John Harbaugh and let him bring in a personnel guy and cap guy. Maybe they go the new coach rout with a Carmichael or Toub and I'd have no problem with that either but they still need to get a talent evaluator in here because Mac is well below average in that regard and his track record proves that out. He hasn't earned the right to stay.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Ralebird

First, 06, you don't get to tell me what to lay out and I don't need to convince you that my beliefs must be your beliefs. It seems I understand this whole forum thing a lot better than you do, among other things.

Cidusii and someone else in the past two days have already demonstrated, using facts, that MacCagnan's performance falls in the mid range and is improving; you also don't need to agree with that; you're free to run with your gut.

I don't know of any organization that has no General Manager but instead has the Head Coach and a few of his aides trying to do it all and can't see any success coming of such a scenario. The pressures and work load are too big in today's NFL for one guy to be both Head Coach and General manager; your twist on that does not sufficiently ease the burden. Again, the Football Operations scenario would probably provide the best format but that does not appear to be forthcoming therefore the coach must be responsible to the GM, we've seen what happens here with the parallel structure - failure.