Home Field Advantage

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Watching Chiefs-Chargers game and I can’t stop being jelous of the Chiefs. Their stadium is full of red wearing Chiefs fans while at Metlife it is almost always tons of opposing fans. I don’t think this has to do with Jets or Giants. It is f’ing New York. Tons of implants living in the area and flocking to Metlife when their teams come to town. Price to pay when you are representing the biggest city in the country.

That said, do you think Metlife will be over 80-90 percent Jet cans if Darnold makes this team play off contender year in year out?

rohirrim665 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Yes def

Winning cures all

Stadium would be 95% Jet fans if we won 10-11 games per year

Look at the Pats. Their support was less than stellar since inception. They even had to change their name to “bay state Pats” then “New England Pats”.....

But 20 straight years of dominance sure bred some homefield advantage and annoying loyal fans. As if they had a hand in it.

SMH

3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

The year we beat the Packers then Indy back to back with Pennington were two of the greatest games from
    a home crowd standpoint I think I’ve ever gone to. 95% Jet fans all hugging each other, was outstanding.

That’ll happen again.

Metstrife and phubbadaman like this.
  4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Well sure, the augmentation business is big here, but there are way more implants in LA ... :p

5. Longsuffering88

To add

If anything a ton of Tri-State people have left and are leaving due to weather/age/retirement or disgust with the taxes and other issues. But I don’t want to get political.

Other teams should fear OUR stadium takeover (if we ever get good)

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’m jealous of the chiefs because they have an offense

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

We have transplants that dilute the home fan base, but the reason NY has transplants is because NY is a choice destination. For fans, sure, but also for top-tier free agents.

If we can turn this shit around, big-name FA's will always have NY on their radar. Playing in NY is a plus overall. When we suck, obviously it sucks. But if -- ahem, WHEN we get our act together, the home fans will turn out in force.

Leicester Jet and JetsNation06 like this.
  8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Just going back to Rex first two years here when we went to B2B AFC Championship appearances you could have painted the City green as the Jets were the talk of the town. The Giants are the more popular team here but the Jets also have an extremely large fan base. The one thing that really sucks is the PSL's as many fans got priced out of keeping their season tickets.

KurtTheJetsFan and stinkyB like this.
  9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Plus it's dirty and polluted.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jetlife stadium sucks

rohirrim665 likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I hate to break it to you but the way it is now , with how Woody Johnson and company set this thing up and alienated the long time season ticket holder = It will never look like Arrowhead or Seattle or what we want it to be. In years past I attended the great games you guys are tossing out there, I was there when we beat GreenBay and I was there when we beat the Jags and I was there on the loudest day ever when we beat the Patriots under Rex and I was there when we won many other games that said if you think that IF and when the Jets ( by some act of god ) ever get competitive and managed to host a playoff game against say the Steelers or Broncos or just a regular season game against the Packers or Patriots and the place would ever look like arrow head you are dead wrong ! That will never happen here with so many tickets on the open market. Wait until the end of this year when even more season tix holders bail out because of this seasons debacle. Its over Johnny its over = Thanks Woody

stinkyB likes this.
  12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Many good points on this topic.

1. If the Jets are good they'll be more Jet fans than opposing fans. At this point we have 7 tickets. We end up selling them because with 5 grandkids with sports etc it's hard for us all to get a date that is good. We typically end up selling 4 tickets and three of us go.

2. When the team is continually bad and under 500 why do you want to go see a bad team in 30 degree weather when the game on tv is so good?

3. The stadium. Who wants to go to the big air conditioner? Really? Billions of dollars put in. Two greedy NFL teams and taxpayers had to pay for it. What is the draw? A stadium in the swamps that has nothing special. An awful looking indoor ski slope that has sat vacant for years A huge mall that has sat vacant. Add in malls and stores are dying but lets build a huge one next to a football stadium.

Add a retractable rough at least you could have a Super Bowl and Final Four. Only close it for big events. Jet and Giant football should be in the outdoors.

Also mentioned are the noise levels at Arrowhead and in Seattle. Look at the stadiums. They didn't add PSLs that priced people out or a coach's club behind the benches at the 50 where fans don't sit so they can go indoors and eat. That was a genius decision. Lets put the most expensive seats behind the bench and put an indoor restaurant so fans leave during the game. Why not put it in the mezzanine? Also those stadiums the fans are close to the field. Not pushed back where the upper bowls are in the parking lots. The whole thing is a bad idea and bad experience. It's really sad because I used to love to go and see a game. I still do but it's completely different.

That being said if the Jets can get any consistency and be good Jet fans will go to the games. They wouldn't sell their tickets on the secondary markets or Jet fans who don't have season tickets will but tickets to see them. NY has people from all over the country. If someone's team is coming in they'll pay to go see them. KC and Seattle have transplants but not as many so when they do sell it is typically to other Chiefs or Seahawks fans.

Longsuffering88 and kevda5n9ne like this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

From the secondary market. : )

14. jetophile

He meant Jokelife. Typos happen.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

True home field advantage went away when the JETS decided to force Personal Sucker Licenses on season ticket holders.... How many of those are corporate owned now (giving tickets to employees and clients)?

16. jetophile

True long time die-hards/long time season ticket holders like you and I didn't leave because of this season's debacle (or any other debacle, for that matter). Neither did thousands of others over the last couple of years. I got another email/solicitation again on Dec. 11th to "attend a game at Metlife". I screenshot (screenshotted? screenshooted? screehshitted?) it on my idiot phone, but then got too lazy to host it. Eat shit, NYJ FO. Shouldn't have treated me like garbage. Fairly new buy-ins will probably hold on because of Sam, others will still tell the Johnsons to jump off the upper deck of The New Dump. Again, not because of Palookaville.

Brook! likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Johnsons ever do what's necessary to build a winning franchise - mainly hire somebody with winning experience as a POFO and get out of their way - then the fans will return. What were seeing is the result of the fans finally getting fed up with the same old shit. In a way, it's akin to what happened with the Presidential election in 2016 - and I'm not trying to make a political statement by that, I'm simply saying that a lot of people basically said a collective "Fuck You!" to the status quo. At some point, the idiotic moves made by the Johnsons will have consequences that even they can't ignore.

Brook! likes this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You can't have Home field advantage without having a Home field in the first place. Something the Jets have never had in their entire existence. They have always been tenants going back to the Polo Grounds and from the looks of it, they will remain tenants until the end of time.

joe, CBG, Leicester Jet and 3 others like this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Seattle does have PSL, or what they call CSL( Charter Seat Liscense) . They struggled to sell tickets for a long time before they turned the team around.
    You nailed it with your last statement though. If the Jets start winning, the stadium will be full.
    NY like other major cities, Miami, LA, etc have so many options on how to spend your time and money, that unless your putting a winning product on the field, your not going to sell tickets.
    Not much else to do in places like Seattle . MetLife also seats about 25% more people.

20. Longsuffering88

I do want highlight the PSL point a previous poster mentioned

In believe (no statistical evidence) that PSL owners might be more likely to sell tickets on the second market to offset the robbery during losing seasons - which sadly are the norm.

This is just a theory though that my Giant PSL neighbor told me what he does when the Giants suck (every year of Met life)

K'OB likes this.