Potential RBs for the Jets

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 10, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Damien Harris, David Montgomery and Bryce Love are the top 3-ranked RBs in the 2019 draft class, but barring our trading down and getting a 2nd round pick, I don't see us getting one of these three. Honestly, the only one of the three I think I'd want is Montgomery, and even he scares me a little. His HC, Matt Campbell, supposedly has a knack for getting the most out of lesser talented players. Is Montgomery one of those lesser-talented players who has already peaked and who overachieved? Last year I would have wanted Bryce Love. While I love his intelligence and character, he had an underwhelming Sr. campaign. I see that he missed 3 games, evidently due to injury, but don't know if they were early, middle or late or scattered and if that injury hampered him or what, but he went from 2,118 yards, a 8.1 ypc, and 19 TDs to 739 yards, 4.5 ypc and only 6 TDs. Will he be able to bounce back or was 2017 a flash in the pan and 2018 more his true level?

A couple of RBs that will probably go in the 3rd round or lower (unless they rocket up the draft charts following bowl games, all-star games, off season workouts and/or the Combine who are starting to intrigue me are Darrell Henderson of Memphis and Elijah Holyfield of UGA. Holyfield is the son of former World Champion Evander Holyfield.

Following are some links with clips and write ups about them.

Darrell Henderson
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...eeper-running-back-prospect-you-need-to-know/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/04/darrell-henderson-and-the-chase-for-rb1/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/09/14/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-darrell-henderson/

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=darrell+henderso

Elijah Holyfield
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ho-improved-their-stock-the-most-this-season/

https://dynastyfootballfactory.com/2019-devy-profile-elijah-holyfield-rb-georgia/

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=elijah+holyfield

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I like Bryce Love but yes the Jets need a second round pick for a chance at him . In their current position that would mean trading both of their thirds to get back into the second round . They are not in a position to do that .

I was hoping the Jets would be high enough in the draft where they could trade down just enough to get a decent second round pick this year. As it currently stands I think the Jets should stay put and hope to land Jonah Williams .

We’ll see how FA goes. Not counting Enunwa, Anderson ( tender ), and Myers I see the Jets at the very least coming away with one maybe even two pass rushers and an interior OL. They will add lesser depth pieces to include probably a CB, DL, and a skill player for the O.

The wild card of course is Le’Veon Bell....

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Love ain't going in the 2nd unless he has an insane combines / pro day. He hasn't shown the ability to be a 3 down back in college. He will be a mid-round back, probably around late 3 to 5.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There's no Hunt, Barkley, or Bell in this draft AFAIK. If we can't get Montgomery, it might be best to wait for the 2020 draft where it's supposed to be loaded with RB's. We have so many needs now that RB is down the list for now.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Two young to youngish stud RBs in FA, plus tons of cash plus weak RB class equals Jets have to get one of the two FA RBs.

6. mrjet80

Yeah they’re gonna push hard for Bell. I just have a hard time believing Bell will choose the Jets over the Colts . Less taxes there . A more established system in place . In theory the Jets are about a year behind the Colts assuming they hire the right coach this time .

7. NCJetsfan

Another reason to not want Bell. If they sign him, they're committed to him for the next 3-4 years. In the 2020 draft there could be two absolute stud RBs: Jonathan Taylor of Wisconsin and Travis Etienne of Clemson.

Taylor rushed for 1,977 last season (his freshman year), and this season rushed for 1.989 and a 7.1 ypc avg.

Etienne rushed for 1,463 yards this season, 21 TDs and an 8.3 ypc avg. He had six games of 150 yards or more.

I'd really rather they sign Mark Ingram, and roll with him, McGuire, Cannon and maybe a lower round speedy rookie in the 2019 draft who can return punts/kicks, then look to draft one of Taylor and Etienne next in the 2020 draft.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We need play makers on this roster. Impact guys. If we sign Mark Ingram that's Meh.

Who is this dynamic play maker we're adding next year? We need one either at RB or WR. Mark Ingram, McGuire and Cannon ain't making this team dynamic. Maybe a little bit better but that's all.

9. mrjet80

I know you are not a fan of the Jets signing Bell and the reasons you lie out are certainly understandable . That being said - you list two players who you believe will be stud RBs in 2020. Playing the devils advocate what if those two RBs really are absolute studs - but the Jets will not be in a position to draft them? .....

Maybe Bell is out of reach anyway but with the money the Jets will have they almost have to make a play . I’m pretty sure the money or at least most of it has to be spent by rule. Of course they can sign several players with that same money but will any of them be an instant fix for Darnold and this offense ? ....

And yes I realize Bell on a personal level is a dolt .....

10. NCJetsfan

Well, to begin with, I don't believe in instant fixes. Even if the Jets GM (whoever it is) upgrades our OL depth, drafts a quality LT and signs a quality C in FA, and signs a couple of good WRs, our offense isn't going to be fixed. Even if the Jets sign Bell, it isn't going to be fixed. Bell is coming off a year with no practice, no work. He's going to be rusty, could be more injury prone since he won't be used to getting hit, and there's always the chance that he could get suspended again. Even if not, how many seasons has Bell played all 16 games in his career? Bell won't help us sitting on the sideline or on IR.

Darnold will still be learning and growing as will Herndon, Cannon, and McGuire. If we get an honest-to-God real HC, there should be a LOT of learning and growth going on and there may be a new offensive system. It's gonna take time for everything to gel, including the new left side of the OL.

If the Jets aren't in position to draft those two RBs, they will be to draft another RB. One thing we know from experience is that very good RBs can be found in every round of the draft and even as UDFAs. Having a stud RB that can take it to the house from anywhere on the field would be wonderful, but we haven't had a RB like that since Shonn Greene and he only could do it for a minute or two, and before him, I can't even remember the last RB we had like that. Most Jets fans LOVE CuMar, and he certainly couldn't take it to the house from anywhere on the field. A number of teams in the NFL, including the Saints are making RB by committee work very well. I think we'll be just fine in 2019 if McGuire can develop into a reliable change-of-pace back, we have a workhorse back with some power (like Mark Ingram), we can get anything out of Cannon at all, and maybe adding a middle or lower round rookie.

I would rather the Jets take the money that they would have given Bell and give it to DeMarcus Lawrence or Jadaveon Clowney, then sign another edge rusher, sign a C, upgrade our OL depth, sign 2 WRs (one of Adam Humphries and Tyrell Williams, and Golden Tate), and if they don't bring Claiborne back, sign a CB. IMO that would help the team a lot more than focusing on Bell, having him be a distraction or counting on him, and then him missing half the season due to injury or suspension.

I can understand why others would want Bell. It won't be the end of the world for me if the Jets do sign him. He could be very exciting.

The most important thing to me is the new HC, his CS and hopefully, the new GM. Anything else will be gravy.

#10 NCJetsfan, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    mrjet80 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Rome wasn't built in a day. Even if we sign Bell, and he gets injured (as he normally does) or get suspended, he isn't gonna be making any plays for us sitting on the sidelines. Besides, I don't think he would ever sign with us. I think he'd just use us to drive up the price with Indy or some other team.

We don't have to add a dynamic play maker for next year. It would be nice, but it isn't a necessity. If we have more reliable WRs who can get open and catch the ball, it will make our offense more efficient, effective and dynamic. If Herndon continues to develop and we get anything at all from Leggett, our offense will be more effective. We'll still have Anderson who can score from anywhere on the field. If Cannon develops, he can be a play maker. If we upgrade our OL and are able to run the ball with any consistency, and Sam isn't forced to run for his life on every passing down, Sam will have time to make some plays, and we can have long sustained drives and keep our D off the field.

#11 NCJetsfan, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  12. JetsNation06

I disagree. I think we need at least one real home run threat on this team. That's a lot of ifs concerning most of the players you mentioned. The league is about spreading the field and big plays now more than ever. Anderson still hasn't proven he's strong enough to consistently be a true #1 WR. He's still a one trick pony. Not sure he'll ever develop past what he is now. I do like Herndon, think he can be solid. Leggett has shown zero production to make me believe he's a real contributor to this team. Cannon has some nice burst but has done nothing yet to make me believe he's a legit NFL difference maker. McGuire is decent.

I think we definitely need at least one more play maker either in the early rounds or in FA. I do think what you laid out with upgrading the OL will definitely help Sam. But he needs another young big time skill position weapon that he can grow with.

13. NCJet312

NCJet312 New Member

I think there's some good value in later rounds at RB. Maybe not any "can't miss" guys. But, I really like guys like Myles Gaskin from Washington. His numbers slipped this year, but his OL was pathetic this season. It's one reason that Jake Browning's numbers dropped off this year, too. And I really like Karan Higdon from Michigan too.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

That's fine. No one said that we had to agree.

I think Anderson is a real home run threat. Bates just hasn't utilized him this year, but part of that may well be due to the sorry OL and Sam not having time to get the ball to Anderson. I agree that he is a one-trick pony, but he does that one trick well, and really doesn't have to develop any further to still be a play maker. He's a threat to score on any play, and that has to be taken seriously. That will open things up underneath for Herndon, Enunwa, and hopefully Golden Tate, and either Humphries or Williams. I expect Mac to draft a WR or RB in the draft, and that should help if he makes a good pick (I know, that's the biggest "if" of all). If the Jets sign Mark Ingram, he can wear down opposing defenses, which will help the receivers, whoever they are.

I agree that Leggett has been a big disappointment to me. He has talent, and can produce in clutch situation. If we get a good HC who is a disciplinarian, Leggett will either develop, or he'll get cut. If we don't get a good HC, I don't think it will matter who we sign or draft, the team will still go nowhere and Sam won't develop. I totally agree on Cannon and McGuire.

I just don't think that Bell is the answer. As I said in my previous post, I don't think that he would ever sign with the Jets. Do you? Even if he does, again, I don't trust him to stay healthy, and I think the damage his attitude can do in the locker room will undo any good he does on the field. I think if we do sign him, we'll wind up being just as sorry as we would have been if we had signed Cousins.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  15. JetsNation06

Some good points you make. As long as we don't overpay Robbie then I agree with you that under a better OC and scheme he has some serious value because he does do that one thing really well.

I'd be fine with Mark Ingram on nothing longer than a 3 year deal at the most. Good teammate and model citizen from all reports. Has been productive too the last few years. He's not a home run threat but he can be a productive back.

Same with Golden Tate. Short term, prove it deal. He'll be 31 next season. I do like his skill set, how he finds open seams and again it's all about our OC using him properly because they want to ship him out of Philly already for his lack of production there (in large part due to OC philosophy is what they're saying).

Humphries as in Adam? He is underrated and I like him. I really like the Chargers WR's. I wonder if Tyrell Williams is available? Big, strong, good hands.

Yeah I guess the Bell thing is ultra risky. I do love him though and think he'll rip it up when he comes back as he serious prime years left but he is such a huge investment so I guess we may have to look elsewere.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Yes, Adam Humphries. At the moment, both he and Tyrell Williams are scheduled to become FAs if they don't re-sign with their present team. I don't know what the chances are of their re-signing with their present team, or if they'd even consider signing with the Jets, but they might. I think Tate, Enunwa, Anderson and either Williams or Humphries would make a nice receiving corps for Sam. Add in Herndon, and RBs that are good receivers out of the backfield (McGuire and Ingram) and Sam will have plenty of places to throw the ball with a decent OC and HC. If we then get anything from Cannon and Leggett, it will be gravy. If not, they will be replaced in 2020.

Bell is a great back, and I totally get your and others' desires to sign him. He could be a big boost to our offense. I just think it's a lot of money (too much for a RB) and he's got more than his share of risky elements.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  17. Attackett

So the Leveon Bell suspension worries you guys but the more recent Ingram suspension doesn’t?

If you can’t get one of the two young stud RBs in FA then go out and draft a RB. Those should be the only two options, I’ve had enough signing JAG RBs in FA.

18. NCJetsfan

I didn't know that he had been suspended, but just googled it. Evidently, it sounds like it was perhaps adderall or something used for ADHD.

Here's what Ingram's representatives said:
    "At the end of the 2017 season, as a result of a NFL mandated random drug test, Mark Ingram tested positive for a substance that was not a performance enhancing substance, nor an illegal substance, but a substance in fact permissible with the proper use exemption with the NFL. He has vigorously challenged the test results through the arbitration process. The arbitrator's Opinion is due on or before Wednesday, May 16. Upon having the opportunity to review the arbitrator's opinion, we will explore what further options are needed."

Ingram isn't a JAG. That's just crazy.

You keep saying the "two young stud RBs in FA." Bell is one. Who is the other?

19. Attackett

His agent can spin it any way he wants but the fact of the matter is he was suspended for PEDs. Ingram is the epitome of a JAG, he’s a decent rotational RB, nothing more nothing less.

Kareem Hunt is the other stud RB in FA. He should and will get a second chance and there’s no reason the Jets shouldn’t be the team to give it to him.

#19 Attackett, Dec 14, 2018
  20. NCJetsfan

It's not necessarily "spinning" and if it is adderall that caused his suspension, then it's definitely not spinning. That's your jaded interpretation because you don't like him. I've read of several NFLers who have been suspended for Adderall use, and it's stupid. It's not a performance enhancing drug.

JAGs don't set one team record, much less be on the cusp of setting two or three. Your calling him a JAG is totally absurd.

I have no problem with Kareem Hunt getting a second chance AFTER he undergoes extensive and intensive counseling and comes to grip with his anger issues. He should not get a second chance unless or until he has done that and begun changing.

#20 NCJetsfan, Dec 14, 2018
    JetsNation06 likes this.