Defilipo Fired

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by AJT73, Dec 11, 2018.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

One of the canidates linked to us just got fired. Defilipo was let go. Is that two oc's in two years. Was Norv Turner fired at the beginning of 2017? Surprised it happened in season. Interesting to see if he is still a hot candidate or not.

On a side note. I am happy Kirk (9-7) Cousins didn't sign with us. I think he is a good qb and would've been our best since Pennington but I just don't think he is a difference maker who can carry a team. Wonder if the Vikings have buyer remorse.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Want nothing to do with a mid-season fired OC as our head coach.

3. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Don't hire the beast.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Buyers remorse?

They probably have a team of lawyers trying to find an escape clause...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I watched some of the game last night.

To me he looked...fat.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Supposedly he was butting heads with zimmer and zimmer kept wanting to run the football where He wanted to air it out. It’s absolutely believable.. defensive coaches want to run the football, don’t thrn the ball over, and grind it out. Look what Bowles did to Morton last year.

abc, NYJetsO12, stinkyB and 4 others like this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah getting fired this late looks bad on a resume.

NYJetsO12 and GQMartin like this.
  8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He should have been fired a while ago. For all of the talent that he has on the offense and he can't get it going. Zimmer killed the Vikings' playoff chances by not canning this guy sooner.

He'll be an ideal candidate for Woody, though.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Looks like Frank Reich was that creative mind all along.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Cousins is tied with Darnold, who almost a decade younger, for most turnovers by a QB this season. Yeah, we dodge a bullet.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Wow, I really thought he would have success with the weapons he has with the Vikes. I expected him to have a good year calling plays in Minny and then being a desired head coaching commodity in the offseason.

Next...

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Well that escalated quickly.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Shhhh! Woody might hear you and believe you.

14. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

From what I’ve seen the Oline sucks especially in pass pro and Cousins is in turn playing badly

Seems like it’s hard to run an offense under Zimmer as well

FJF likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That's the problem with canning Bowles for the next wanna-be HC. A week ago half of TGG would have sold their left kidney to replace Bowles with Defilipo before the Bills game.

twown and zace like this.
  16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Woody already has a crew outside of Bowles' office putting Defilipo's name on the door. :D

17. NCJetsfan

This is why I don't like the "hot young coordinator" idea for our new HC. More often than not, these "hot" coordinators turn out to be tepid, if not downright cold. Everyone is so quick to give credit to a coach when a player plays well. I never saw one person ever say, "Maybe Wentz already knew how to play QB, and just needed to learn the Eagles' offense, and adjust to the speed of the NFL."

DeFilippo is exactly why I want an experienced, proven HC. I really want John Harbaugh, but he may not be leaving the Ravens now. If not, then McCarthy may not be all that, but he'll be the best HC we've had since Parcells. There are no guarantees with most HC candidates. There are with certain experienced HCs, but the quality ones rarely leave their team and are available.

The problem with coordinators is that being the HC is a totally different thing than just being responsible for one side of the team. Too often they're biased for their side of the ball, and don't give the same attention or effort for the other sides. Lots of experience is no guarantee, either. I read yesterday that Romeo Crennel had tons of experience and had worked under great HCs like Parcells and Belichick, yet he was an awful HC. At least with older coordinators, they generally have more experience, have seen more, may have worked under more HCs, so they should have fewer surprises. The flip side of that is they can be too old and set in their ways. They can be locked into one way of doing things, and then if that doesn't work, they have nothing. They can be rigid with their systems and their philosophies can be outdated. Younger coordinators are pretty much unknowns, haven't learned lessons that more experience can teach them, and they can still be rigid regarding their system and way.

18. NCJetsfan

I wonder if they're regretting letting Teddy walk and spending all that money on Cousins.

NYJetsO12 and dmarz45 like this.
  19. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

And if you remember, Tony Sparano was their Oline coach who died right before the season started.

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The Vikings offensive line isn't as good as it was last year

They also haven't run the ball as well or as often. Guys like Zimmer want to run the ball to set up PA...I think JD felt he can run a pass oriented offense between bringing in Cousins and having 2 good to top WR's and other weapons. Cousins was better having the run to set up the pass, not to say he can't be good being in a pass heavy system, I just think it helps him better to have a balance.

ColoradoContrails likes this.