Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying, but most rookie QBs that start day one don't usually have great years statistically, even some of the greatest. It can be a good sign to see (ie Andrew Luck), but that is very rare. Most of them stink it up for a year before taking big steps in years 2 or 3... or they sit the first year.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're right, but I'm just making the point that Darnold has been stinking it up this year. Hopefully that's more on the coaching and talent around him than it is on him, but even in this week's game against Buffalo he wasn't very good (though the Bills defense and the cold weather didn't help either). He made a couple nice throws at the end, but in today's NFL that isn't nearly enough. Even mediocre QBs are putting up big numbers now.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

4. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

With all due respect, there have been some EXCELLENT points and well thought out conversation in this thread. This however, is EXTREMELY lazy. Its like you just read a draft guide and randomly regurgitated it here...even down to your last question. Its like saying Darnold looked like trash except for 2 throws. Its just not the case and is an example of this bias this class still faces outside their respective landing spots. These 2 rookies have the pressure of their entire organization on their shoulders. They are their teams offense. The Bills this year go as far as Allen takes them. If allen wills them to 21 pts and thats enough for a win - they win. If not, it wasnt enough. Its straight hero ball with random chances to have guys make plays and they dont.

As mentioned as a Bills fan, its almost impossible to judge Allen on his pocket passing. He has looked fine but has to take off almost every other play bc someone is on top of him. He has to be the rushing and passing - which is a huge ask of a rookie... and he hasnt thrown up on himself. Ive seen Sam do awesome things as well, but wont make the mistake of judging him due to the limitations surrounding him.

Its even kinda sad how much of a 'what have you done for me lately ' league this is. The Bills board is similar dont get me wrong, but reading the game thread through 3 qtrs Jets fans are talking about drafting a new qb next year and then after those passes calling him the top of the class. I get it, i really do - and thats why ive appreciated the majority of this discussion quite a bit bc it hasnt been filled with nonsense

#324 Billsfan1212, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    NCJetsfan and legler82 like this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Couldn't put it in a table. Dang.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Allen has played pretty much exactly as I thought he would. Most here on TGG thought he was unplayable for at least 1-2 seasons because of this overblown accuracy issues and my personal favorite "raw"ness. I thought he could play as a rookie because his experience in a pro style offense and his mobility. I argued that his effectiveness would be dependent on the system, how he is asked to do and the player around. Despite the numbers, both Jets and Bills fans should be hopeful about the future.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If some of the things I said weren't echoed by analysts on Twitter and in some cases, on the broadcast itself, I'd say you're right I'm just being lazy. But I'm not. He can't even make a proper 3 or 5 step drop and that has nothing to do with the protection. When he has time, sometimes he'll make the throw. Other times he's throwing lasers with no touch and at times causing incompletions because of it. His accuracy is poor. Other than taking off with the ball and being an impressive runner, what exactly makes you say he's looked fine?

I do agree that the knee-jerk reactions on the internet are painfully stupid. It happens here, it happens everywhere. Everywhere it's stupid. But this is not knee-jerk. He couldn't complete more than 60% of his passes in college against crap competition. He had drops, but pre-draft stats and analysis proved that wasn't anywhere near as much of an issue as his accuracy was. All I'm seeing is confirmation of what a lot of people thought pre-draft: he ain't it.

Can he be? Sure. In Buffalo? Probably not. No offense, especially considering we're dealing with a half empty cupboard in the front office in NY as well.

8. BroadwayAaron

Overblown accuracy issues. That's an interesting way to downplay a 52% completion percentage following a college career where he completed 56% of his passes as a starter.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Considering Buffalo has the best passing defense in the league and Sam was coming off injury, I think he played great.

He led the Jets to 3 TDs, even though 2 were rushing. He also looked much better than Josh Allen and his 3 TOs against a weak Jets defense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

Does he miss on easy passes on occasion?
    Sure
    Does he make boneheaded rookie plays?
    Sure
    Did he single handedly beat Jax, fall a catch short in MIA, and have BUF in position for a win against the Jets?
    Yep
    Its not like it happened without passing. He didnt simply run for 100 yrds and have that happen. Again, its back yard hero ball.
    To be that certian on 2 rookies that havent done a whole lot to distinguish themselves is a feat as youve figured something out the rest of the world has yet to realize.

Im not a Sam Darnold expert. Nor do i pretend to be one. Ive seen his highlights from each game he has played as well as the occasional game at my inlaws earlier in the year and running aside he and Allen have looked pretty similar in accomplishments. That might insult you, but that isnt the goal of course. Often national pundits cant even watch each snap of each game and are stuck with the national narritive (which as you know from Jets coverage is often incorrect or off base). If you feel this all is taken into account with your opinion, i urge you to keep an open mind with all these guys. Most rookies play on bad teams. Its the ones that show sparks and hints of getting it that more often than not become something. Imo, both these kids have.

But this is the perfect example - you dont care for the kid = nothing will impress.
    If you had no bias, or if he was a Jet, we wouldnt be having this conversation.
    You simply as a man, cant have a judgment on something that cant at this moment be judged.

You can have an opinion, and you are welcome to it. That said, you havent watched every single one of his snaps or it wouldnt be that cut and dry to you.

I stand by what i said, with respect, its a lazy assessment

EDIT - I don't even totally agree with this (Sam doesnt get enough credit), but its a bit more along the lines of the point i was trying to make. Regardless if you like his work or not, sometimes layers get peeled back. Slowly, narratives like this come out
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...uarterback-over-baker-mayfield-lamar-jackson/

#330 Billsfan1212, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He should play TE tbh, Lamar is a better qb right now.

12. legler82

And? Sam is completing 56% of his passes.

13. BroadwayAaron

He’s got multiple games over 60%. Allen has one. Allen also was a horribly inaccurate college QB, Sam wasn’t. If you want to make an argument for Josh Allen, accuracy is a terrible place to start.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The energy on offense is bad, no true identity. What's the bread and butter in this passing game? Darnold played backyard football to win that game. Bates did him no favors.

A young qb overcoming bad coaching is damn near impossible. But you see how he operates and moves in the pocket. Man, I wish we got to see Darnold with that Morton offense. We will never know.

For that alone I want Bowles gone.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I want to believe the problem is Bates and the supporting cast, and once we get a new coach and upgrade the talent, Darnold will be Goff 2.0. But that's what everyone here wants to believe, which makes me think we're cutting Darnold too much slack.

16. legler82

You bring up Allen’s CMP% as a counter to me saying the accuracy concerns were overblown as though it’s some kind a definitive measure of accuracy. I bring it to your attention that his is just 4 points lower than Darnold who you by all indications believe to very accurate. So now you come back with one has more games over 60% than the other. Seems to me we have a moving goal post.

Anyway, I’m not making an argument for Allen. Nor am I arguing that he is very accurate or that he’s as or more accurate than Darnold. I’m just saying exactly what I said in the post you chose to respond to. His accuracy issues were overblown. My observations prior to the draft was he was inaccurate mostly when he was trying to throw the ball too hard. I thought that was fixable and that you can always scheme a not so accurate QB into a reasonable CMP%. The talk points about him were that he was 2-3 years away from being 2-3 years away. Hack 2.0, a 3rd day prospect or not draftable, the competition jump from Wyoming to the NFL was too much...etc...etc...etc. As it turned out he was able to play as a rookie even managed to win some of them w/o looking completely inept. He’s shown he can complete passes against NFL comp at a reasonable rate for a rookie. All things Hackenberg never accomplished. So as it stands, he’s already proven a lot of people wrong. So that’s my “argument” I guess even though I really wasn’t trying to have one.

17. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Allen ran for 85 yards in first half & 15 yards in second half. Once teams adjust to Allen his running game will be a lesser threat. The first half we didn't game plan to stop him from running, but we made the adjustment in the second half. The next time we play the bills we will have his number.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If only we had adjusted for the 1st quarter, not like nobody knows he is a runner, fucking bowles ineptness again.

Jets81 likes this.
  19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Darnold sucks! Just adding some balance to the equation. I hope you feel better now! :p

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Next time the Jets play the Bills they probably will have a better OL, better WR's and the heir apparent to Shady since he seems to be on the decline. They have 10 picks this coming draft and about 90 million coming off the books with their salary cap. On the flip side the Bills will have to deal with a Jets team that will also look to improve the offense as well as a new and hopefully competent coaching staff. Darnold has been the better passer but Allen can make things happen running. Both QB's are not only dealing with being rookies trying to learn how to play QB at this level but are also on teams that currently are terrible. It will be interesting to see how both QB's progress when their supporting cast gets better. If this happens(and that's a big if with these two teams) then the Jets-Bills rivalry will be a fun one to watch over the next decade or so. One thing to note both the Jets and Bills have a lot of money coming off the books so both could be real aggressive this offseason in signing FA's.