Draft order concerns versus Darnold's progress. Were you happy with the win today?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 9, 2018.

?

Were you happy with the win today?

1. Yes

72.3%
  2. No

13.4%
  3. Not sure yet

14.3%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The guy I want - Okie WR Marquise Brown will probably be available as late as the middle of the 1st round anyway. So go ahead and win Jets.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That may be best case scenario constiyr history at 6

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I read that to indicate you don't see any positive takeaways from yesterday's game. I disagree.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

666, time to make another deal with the devil

HomeoftheJets, Brook! and FJF like this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

No HC or players intentionally try to lose.

In terms of your strawman regarding Bowles, no one is advocating for him to stay.
    His fate with the Jets is already sealed. Sunday's win a'int saving him from this shitty season so you can breathe easy on that one.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Good thing we passed on Cousins. What a beta.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My feelings exactly. We should count our blessings. 30M to invest on making the line better and/or improve the pass rush.

8. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Response to the first paragraph: Meaning no disrespect, but when you and other that "complain" (for lack of a better word) about a win, I don't know of a way to "remedy the situation" except to have the players play worse. For the players to play worse they either have to really suck or not try as hard as they can. Which of these options would you rather to see?

Response to the second paragraph: You and others act as if the Jets have some great December (or end of the season) performances that "screws them over" when it comes to draft position. I did an analysis of all of the years where the Jets finished with a losing record since 1990. Of these 13 seasons the Jets record after 10 games was 37-93 (28.5%) and their last six games record was 21-57 (26.9%). Looking at the same seasons but looking at the first twelve games the Jets record was 44-112 (28.2%) and their last four games record is 14-38 (26.9%).

Using both methods of calculations the Jets record at the end of the season was marginally worse then their record in the "meaty" part of the schedule. Therefore, this notion that the Jets win games that they have no business winning at the end of these losing seasons just isn't born out in the facts over the long run. Sure, you can point to one game or another, but that really doesn't bare out statistically.

Response to the third paragraph: I agree if the Jets are not going to make the playoffs it generally doesn't matter where they finish. However, the players are human and you just can't expect losing upon losing to not have a negative effect on their confidence at some point. On the other hand, after the season is over, it's better to draft in the beginning of the draft. That fact cannot be denied.

However, if you can point to a way a team is supposed to increase its draft position at the end of the year while still having somewhat quality players that play at the "peak" I'm all ears. However, I fear that you have as much a chance of building a perpetual motion machine.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Cousins has been bad tonight, but he's better than Keenum. On the other hand, the Vikings may have been better off with the extra money. Though no matter what they did, I don't think the Vikings would have repeated last year's performance. Meanwhile, we have our own problems: Darnold is a rookie playing with bad coaching and a bad supporting cast, but compared to the other QBs in the league, he's put up some pretty awful numbers. Even Bortles's passer rating is 10 points higher than Darnold's.

10. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

If it means zilch zero and nada, why does the NFL award draft picks in reverse to record performance?

I know what you’re trying to say.... “winning is always good” but you actually are wrong in technical terms.

If we didn’t win those meaningless games last year, we would still have our 2nd rounders. I could go on for days how a coach being fired, wins a stupid game late, adding zero value to the next season.

Anyway I do believe picking smart is more important than picking high. And winning does matter when it’s done by a young team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

"Hollywood". Now that's the kind of game breaking talent we need to add to this offense. Not some mediocre, average shit.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No,that's not what I said. I wish you guys would stop trying to put words in my mouth or twist my meaning. I'm VERY capable of saying exactly what I mean and I normally do.
    Darnold showed progress, putting the team on his back, leading a comeback on the road, in the cold, and the defense held Buffalo on the final drive. I don't credit Bowles, Bates or Rodgers for it, however.

13. NCJetsfan

I never said that any HC or players intentionally try to lose. Those were your words, NOT MINE.

You're wrong. I saw a poster saying that if the Jets won the rest of their games this season that Bowles probably should be brought back, and another today claiming something similar.

I will breathe easy regarding Bowles when his firing is official. I put nothing stupid past the Johnsons, even extending Bowles. By all indications, they're keeping Mac around, and imo that's about as stupid as extending Bowles.

14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I know this sounds crazy but what if the Jets actually have an opportunity to knock the Pats out of the playoffs? I'd sign up for that any day, forget the draft. I'd drop 10 spots for that opportunity.

The Patriots have @Steelers, then home vs Bills, then vs Jets. Anything could happen in Pitts, and Bills have potential to play spoiler with that defense.

Miami has @Vikings, vs Jaguars, @Bills, A little soft.

15. NCJetsfan

This is my last response on this topic. I never said that I was looking for any kind of "remedy." When I said that I was unhappy with the win yesterday it was just because it hurt their draft position, and I was disappointed and frustrated, and venting. Where was that good play earlier in the season when it would have possibly meant something? Then people started putting words in my mouth, posting strawman arguments in response, and making nonsensical posts that draft position doesn't matter. That is the only reason I continued to respond today.

My feelings and frustrations have nothing to do with the players and their emotions, that is not a consideration at all. When they play the way they have this year continually committing stupid penalties, turning the ball over, playing sloppy, uninspired ball, they don't deserve to be confident or have me concerned about their feelings. They are highly-paid professionals. They have jobs to do, and by and large they have failed at their jobs this season.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

First - I didn't put words in your mouth; I was very careful to say how I read what you wrote. You may not be as capable as you believe in saying exactly what you mean so no need to get all bent out of shape. I suppose I should be satisfied you kept your "dense" and "delusional" in your quiver.

Here's what you said: "The team isn't going to improve under Bowles, Bates and Rodgers anyway." But your closing sentence belies that - showing progress is improving so they did improve under Bowles, Bates and Rodgers. They may not (no way in hell) be improving due to anything the brain trust did but they did improve, probably in spite of them, simply by playing together and learning by doing. If Darnold was still wearing a boot on the sidelines that bit of improvement would not have occurred.

17. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhh

18. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Zero chance the Jets win in New England the Pats never lose at home.

19. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Very happy with the win.

Draft is like a box of chocolates...never know what your gonna get. So F dat.

All teams play to win and so should the Jets without regard to their record and missing the playoffs.

Going to Saturday’s Houston game. Gonna tailgate with a purpose and scream “SAMMY” till I’m hoarse!!!

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

How many times is the best player from any particular draft the 1st player taken?

I was all aboard the tank train last year as I do think you need to be atop the draft to get your QB, at least generally speaking & I couldn’t find any positives winning with a 38 yr old QB that wasn’t a part of the future. They won 3 of first 5 games though, then 2 the rest of the way. Were they supposed to just not show up for the entire season?

This year is different as the most vital part of this season is developing our rookie QB. No one can tell me that our rookie QB coming back from missing 3 weeks, going out with injury and then leading a comeback in which he made some big time plays is not more vital to the future then a couple spots in the draft, in which we we still end up in top 5 most likely.