Draft order concerns versus Darnold's progress. Were you happy with the win today?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 9, 2018.

?

Were you happy with the win today?

1. Yes

72.3%
  2. No

13.4%
  3. Not sure yet

14.3%
  1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Adams has indicated that he will be returning to play for Washington for the 2019 season--so I left him off.

You can look at whatever "lesser" or "greater" draft sites you like--I'm going off my own eyeballs. I don't have time to look at draft sites or read prospect magazines, I'm too busy bitching about the Jets.

As I recall, Williams was Alabama's RT for a year or two before they moved him to LT. He would have overlapped with Cam Robinson, right?

My favorite small school T prospect is Tytus Howard out of Alabama State. I don't think he'll be able to start right away, but he has the size and athleticism to play the position.

I felt like Cajuste had a very disappointing year this year--this time last year I was excited about him. Not anymore.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'm hanging my hat on the Jets failing to deviate from 60 years of mistakes.

If I owned the team, things would be different but alas, I'm a message board poster.

Brook! likes this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The goal should be to become better at drafting so it doesn't matter where we pick like the Steelers, Packers, Ravens, and Pats have been able to do. Unfortunately, we don't have the GM and scouting that can do that now.

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

If that's the case it doesn't matter if you draft in the top 3 every year.
    Look at the Browns before Dorsey.
    Look at the Lions under Matt Millen.
    If you really think the GM and Scouting suck, all the #1 picks in the world won't help you.

EDIT... and btw ... you might be right. We'll find out after this offseason.

#164 truthbtold, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Exactly why I'm unconcerned how many game we win. Macc will fck it up anyway. Top 3, 5 or 10. It really doesn't matter as long as Macc is doing the drafting.

6. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Haha ... I just added a comment.
    But yeah ... if you're right, we're fucked.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

would be so funny if we get the 6th pick again w/ a 5-11 record

Brook! and FJF like this.
  8. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

As much as I hate seeing this team lose. Toilet's team has lost my attention this season, and I'm focused towards a future without his incompetence. Difference between pick #1 and pick #5 is large, and when you have holes all over and you're missing draft picks - it's even larger.

This team needs protection for Darnold and offensive play makers, that #1 overall pick provides a lot of options in that regard. Honestly, I'd prefer being in the 2-3 range for a trade down with a QB hungry team looking to move up like the Jets did last year (#1 might be too rich with the lack of QBs - Giants, Jags, Broncos, Bucs, Dolphins, Bengals).

Aside from Bell, offensive free agent play makers aren't that amazing next year. This team severely needs offensive help, and yesterday's game was an alarming indication of that. The running game is trash, the WRs are mediocre, and the line needs work. I'm not even getting into the Defense, but obviously lots of needs there as well.

Call it blasphemous if you want, but an ugly win vs another 4-9 team isn't worth as much as the #1 selection. I honestly don't understand the ticker tape parade when it comes to yesterday's win. Yesterday, the team looked barely mediocre in all aspects but special teams.

FWIW, Sanchez had a 4th quarter comeback & game winning drive in his rookie season against the Chargers, and like four in his 2nd year. Not comparing their skills, but every has one.

9. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

i didn't read through the 9/10 pages, but i don't get this "tank" thought process. Sure, last year when there were a few top QB's available and we were in dire need of a QB, you'd like to see the team play hard but lose in order to get one of those top QB's. We got one, we need to draft many positions next year, so odds are we'll draft one bc of our record and they'll plug that spot. why the fuck would you want to tank this year? fuck off!

truthbtold likes this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Teams improve by winning, not losing.

Tanking for losses to increase draft position is a losers mentality, and it does not work.

I'm glad the team won, that Darnold led a comeback drive, and that the D closed out a game.
    I'm also glad we did not get swept in our own shitty division.
    That is more important than a couple draft slots. We should be in great position to get a good player either way.

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

There is no degradation here...just enlightenment

I have no compunction saying "winning is losing and losing is winning"

Win>>>A chance Toilet returns and less than optimal draft pick

Lose>>>>Lose Bowles forever and gain nice pick

Browns fans get this especially with new HC and FO

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nobody said anything about "tanking" so save your strawman argument for a situation where it applies.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Aren't minicamps in June? Do guys get injured?

(Shame on me.)

donkey likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

So if you are unhappy with the win, it's because you want to tank no? ie lose to increase draft position.
    That's exactly what this thread is about.

Plenty of people seemed pissed we won. Have even seen "only the Jets' type whining regarding the win.

FJF likes this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

High draft order is nice, but Darnold's progression trumps everything else. I think this victory was very good for the players. Losing streaks can really weigh people down.

I think the time off helped Sam as well, it was good to see him make progress against one of the tougher secondaries in the NFL.

The Jets still have very good draft pick chances as well. The remaining schedule is hard. If the Jets manage to win one of these next 3, I'll be pretty impressed. If they don't win any they are almost locked for top 3.

16. BacktoQueens

this

Sam Hammer likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I'm not "unhapy" just disappointed. No, I don't want the team to "tank." "Tanking" is when they intentionally try to lose. I don't want that. I just want them to lose. I want them to be the same unprepared team that they have been all season. I want them to play hard, commit the same stupid penalties, blow the same coverages, play the same half-ass way they have all season and try to win, but lose.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The day draft picks come with some kind of guarantee is the day I may reconsider what Herm said. Hello?

19. BacktoQueens

What you described is tanking to me...
    Losing for the sake of improving draft position (it's never intentional).

Semantics of the word tanking aside, you don't improve as a team by playing half assed football.
    You improve by executing and by winning.
    In terms of the draft, we will still have a top 10 selection and be in a great position to get a great player either way..

Ralebird likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Then you're dense as granite if you can't see the difference. Tanking is when the HC and/or players are trying to lose. A fan hoping the team will continue to lose as it has most of the season has nothing to do with tanking. Fans have no control over the HC's decisions or how players play.

The team isn't going to improve under Bowles, Bates and Rodgers anyway. It's ridiculous and beyond delusional to think that they will.