Draft order concerns versus Darnold's progress. Were you happy with the win today?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 9, 2018.

?

Were you happy with the win today?

1. Yes

72.3%
  2. No

13.4%
  3. Not sure yet

14.3%
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Just knowing that you aren’t moping around bitching about a win is enough. I however am terrible at arts and crafts so you will have to print and frame at home.

2. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

If you had asked me before the game, I probably would have said I would not have been happy. But seeing Darnold have a great second half, develop, progress, and have a game-winning touchdown drive, made me very happy. I think it's worth a couple of spots in the draft order. Hopefully he keeps progressing.

3. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Anything that eliminates doubts that he’s our guy moving forward is a good thing in my book.

This season was all about us seeing if he was our FQB, something to build around. He’s still got a long way to go, and we need a good CS, but getting a glimpse into the future was nice.

I was watching the Dallas Philly game last night and I said to myself “I’d be estatic if we played competitive ball like that each week”

After seeing him do his thing a little bit and it was a little bit. I think we can.

hwismer, FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Man, to think we could've had Mariota if only we won that Titans game years back. Complaining about draft position is a losers mentality. Darnold had a really solid 2nd half, just exhibits throws maybe only 5 QBs in the league can make.

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  5. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

I’m happy with the win. I don’t care. Losing to the horrible bills twice would’ve sucked. At least we have a little something to hang our hat on... until next Sunday at least lol.

On another note. Does anybody know why Darnold had to leave the game after that first drive? He came back kinda quick. Maybe he just had to drop a deuce??

6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

In the moment I was very happy we won. 12 plus hours later still happy but their is a piece of me that says if we lost we would've had the number one pick and could've traded it for a bounty. Without a second round pick and knowing this team needs help everywhere I want to do what the Colts did. Move back a little get more premium 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks and build the offensive talent from there. Hopefully we lose and the 9ers Raiders and whoever else is in front of us finds a way to win. All while Darnold looks good and gives us hope for the future.

7. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

And also Darnold looked a lot better than Allen as a passer. I think the bills actually should’ve given Barkley a fair shot to keep the job for now. He played pretty well for them

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Bad foot. He hurt it again but played thru the pain. I hope it doesn't become a chronic issue with Sam. Feet can really be problematic. If your feet ain't right, nothing else is.. He's 21 so he should heal fast but, if he keeps aggravating it, it could very well become worse than it should have been.

#88 Cman68, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You articulate yourself wonderfully. I'm just a kook by nature. It helps me cope. I have to say I wasn't depressed, though. More like ready to drink Liquid Plumber. The wait was excruciating. I swear this team is gonna kill me. GO JETS!!!

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This win was important for the young guys on the roster who are turning into leaders like Adams and Darnold. The best way to learn is by doing things and these young men need to keep playing hard and making plays this season so they improve for next season.

JdotGriff, Biggs and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Why do we have to have the 1st pick in order to trade back? Colts were in the 3rd pick when they traded with us which is very possibly where we’ll end up.

No matter where we land, trading back should be the top priority. The teams looking for QBs are all going to be drafting after us pretty much wherever we realistically end up whether it’s 3,4 or 5.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. jetophile

To further this thought, does anyone know if Sam mentioned it in the post-game presser and what it's looking like? I'm not usually into player nicknames all that much, but I'm kinda down with 'The Boot' for Sam. No, no, I got it! Shoe Booty! Allow me to explain. There's a really obscure episode of 'All in the Family' where Archie and Meathead get locked in the basement together. Archie tells a story about how poor he was growing up. He didn't have a pair of shoes, so he had to wear a shoe on one foot and a boot on the other. The kids in school teased him and called him Shoe Booty. That aside, it's a great pun for Darnold and I'm keeping it. 'The Boot' and 'Shoe Booty' are interchangeable, though, so hell, I'm keeping both.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you that we don't need the first pick to move back and get more picks. That being said Herbert is the only qb people feel should be a first round pick or top ten. Once he goes it's a crapshoot. Qbs are always pushed up and maybe a few between now and the combine will improve themselves but with few qbs to choose from they'll probably less trade options.

15. jetophile

Thanks. So both :mad::mad::mad: and : ) I wonder if this was milder or worse than last time? I really do think the Jets exaggerated the severity, but now I'm a little concerned that it becomes nagging. I'm like a helicopter parent when it comes to Sam. I hate those kind of people, but there it is.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Jets fans. SMH. How do you not know that Draft Day is always when the Jets are at their very worst?

In the entire 59-year history of the franchise we've drafted a whopping 2 hall-of-fame players--maybe 3 if Revis gets in some day. Everything that Darnold does to become a better QB (and I, for one, saw quite a bit in his effort to win on Sunday) elevates this franchise for as long as he is here. Whomever Mac or his almost certainly mediocre replacement pick in the draft will very likely bust anyway, and will almost certainly not be the franchise QB.

Draft position would matter very much more if there any quality LTs available this year. Still, the front office would screw that up, too. Just like they'll screw up any attempt to trade down.

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If this game played out exactly the same, but with McCown starting, I'd be pretty pissed.

But the Jets won this game because Darnold played pretty damn well and made a few clutch plays.

I'll take a win over draft position every day if it means Darnold is continuing to get better. As a quarterback, he's way more important than any player they can draft anyway.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I was happy because of Darnold progression and guts. It was a very frustrating game and I mean that by Bates play calling. It was awful. But the Jets battled and it won't save Bowles job and, that is the big picture.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The good teams always draft well no matter where they are in the draft order, it really depends on the team scouting and team building philosophy.

Jets can still pick up a solid player or trade back if they end up with a top ten pick. Jets goal can’t be to get back a second round pick.

Darnold’s progress is the most important aspect of letting him play no matter what the record is. Hopefully this play out like the Rams where Fischer was fired and a young Offensive minded HC was hired to help with Goff’s development.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Never felt #1 overall was realistic anyway.Dont think we’ll win another game all year & end up somewhere between picks 3-5.

Jets managed to win a game within the only context that Id be happy to sacrifice draft position at this stage.Sam,the team & the fans needed that definitive comeback win against all odds w Sam leading the way.This was a productive win