Draft order concerns versus Darnold's progress. Were you happy with the win today?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 9, 2018.

?

Were you happy with the win today?

1. Yes

72.3%
  2. No

13.4%
  3. Not sure yet

14.3%
  1. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Better draft position is a good thing and there is no way that can be denied. However it's not that easy. As the Jets are not going to make it to the playoffs, in a perfect world the Jets players would show progress, play well, and they would still lose. However, as we hopefully all know - there is no such thing as a perfect world. You can't have your players (especially your hopefully future FQB) play well and not have winning the game be a possible outcome.

In my mind, Darnold's progress is the most important thing to the Jets (besides having a good GM / Coach) going forward. Therefore, I'd rather have him show well and get a good fourth quarter comeback - even though his play at the end of this game doesn't guarantee anything going forward. It's not because a 4-9 team is better than a 3-10 team. And it's not because I felt great after the win today.

It's simply a case that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Sure, if it came down to a FG buy a opposing team at the end of a game (where the performance of the Jets that day is basically already "determined") then by all means have the opposing player make the kick and give the Jets another loss - unless perhaps the game is against the Pats and beating them gives the Pats the #3/#4 seed vs. the #2 seed :). However, I am not going to get mad if the Jets QB of the future plays well.

2. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Outside of drafting a QB, the idea of tanking is pretty dumb. We already have our QB and we need him to keep progressing with as many wins as he can get. We'll have a new head coach and a new staff next season and that's our biggest need. It doesn't matter where we draft within the top 7 or 8 picks because we have plenty of holes to fill. Let's say we win another game and draft as high as #7. If we can't get a monster for the OL, a legit pass rusher, or a game breaking WR with the 7th pick in the draft, then we're doing something seriously wrong.

And btw ...
    The best player on the damn team was drafted at #6 ... and the best player drafted in the last 25 years was drafted at #14.

TwoHeadedMonster, almbleamal and Dom like this.
  3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I've never been upset with a Jets win. Ever

We needed today. Jets wins = Darnold is doing well. I'd much rather have Darnold winning games and go 7-9 than go 4-12 with him playing awful.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First, let me say that I understand where you're coming from, and you make some good points. Other teams have their cake and eat it too. The Jets should be able to do that occasionally, but never do.

As far as I am concerned, Sam has all next season and the rest of his career to play well and win. At this point in time, we need help building the team around him thanks to Idzik's and Mac incompetent drafting and lousy FA signings. I'm not mad that he played well today. In fact, I'm very happy that he bounced back and played well. I just don't want Bowles or Mac back or our draft positions screwed up.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Hell yeah. It was my birthday today so always good to get a W.

6. Geno

Geno Member

This reminds me when Geno beat the Dolphins last game of the season. That directly changed our first round pick from Odel Becham Jr to Calvin Pryor. A blue chip generational talent can change the entire future of a franchise just look at what Barkley is doing for the Giants. If they lose out rest of the way this was extremely costly and painful result.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  7. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Hope you had a good day. Mine's in June, so the Jets can't fuck that up.

Ozymandias likes this.
  8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don’t want to draft at #1. I want to trade #1 and draft at #8, #35 and #58. 2 offensive lineman and a wide receiver will do more for Darnold’s development that beating a rookie QB-led Buffalo.

Admittedly Macc may well still fuck up the trade picks which is why a loss would have also helped get rid of him too.

K'OB, HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think this game goes a long way in the maturation process of Sam ... very happy with the win.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Happy with the win but less so with Allen running amok through the D

Royal Tee and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I was really happy to see us win. Seeing Sam limping off I was not happy. Having him return, and winning the game made my Sunday.

Like many of you I agree that having Mac managing this draft might not be a good thing. Having the HC answering to the GM is a positive thing. Now maybe having a President of Football Operations would be the best of everything.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If I had any confidence that Macc would have turn that high round DP into multiple lower round DP's, I would not be thrilled but as it is, Darnold might as well play as Macc is gonna probably f up the pick anyway by going after an edge rusher, then go to the bar until the third rd drafts start.

ColoradoContrails and RPOZ51 like this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm gonna re-watch the second half tonight for the positives. I said this in the game thread, but I had the game taping because I had a lot of running around to do yesterday. The very first thing I saw was Sam Darnold with his helmet off limping into the locker room. "OHMYGODWHATHAPPENEDNOOOOOOO!!!"

I almost pissed myself and fainted from fear and sheer panic. Then they kept replaying in slow motion the play where he got gimped and I didn't know anything nor did the rest of us. Thus commenced the dry heaving. I tried to drink a glass of cold water to calm myself down but that was a bad idea because then I was fighting what was sure to be a projectile stream of epic proportions. When he went back on the field I was extremely light-headed and had to sit down. I had the shakes for about 10 minutes. On a scale of win, lose, or injury let's just say I almost dropped dead in I my own living room yesterday afternoon.

So, was I happy with the win? I'm just happy Sam Darnold isn't frigged up. I wish that was a voting option.

Attackett likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

1. That win didn’t cost us 6 draft positions. Not sure what logic is being applied there.

2. I’m looking at what Barkley is doing and I’m impressed by it but I’m also thrilled that we won’t have to worry about finding the centerpiece. The Giants do. Barkley is carrying them to slightly below mediocre and further away from the draft position they need to be in

3. We do this shit yearly. Adams, Williams and Darnold are the result of drafts in which we lost position because of a “meaningless” win. And I use quotation marks because considering the win was led by our rookie QB who put the team on his back the whole second half, it sure as shit was not meaningless.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We are talking about a few positions against the worst managed teams in the NFL. Since the cost of drafted player drops based on slotting and we know the worst managed teams draft first, there is likely no advantage in drafting 1 vs. 10. In fact if you draft a bust, highly likely if Mac is drafting it will cost the new GM more money because of the slotting.

In reality the best teams at drafting will be drafting at the bottom not to the top. That's why they are the best teams.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I like #3. Can I buy it and frame it? How much do you want for it?

17. GreenFist

GreenFist Member

I came here to check in on the sentiment of this exact topic ..good thread, thanks !!

I've been waiting all season for a time when Sam looked as comfortable/confident and perform as he would in a big spot for USC, today was that day ..can't remember last time I had confidence in the QB spot like that in a game winning drive

this was a great day for our centerpiece !!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I can’t articulate myself as creatively as you just did so I’ll leave it as I couldn’t possibly agree more.

This season hasn’t really been as bad for me as most on here make it seem. I expected nothing and I’ve enjoyed watching the ups and downs of our rookie QB. Those 5-7 mins of actual time though of not knowing what was up with Darnold was the most depressed I’ve been all season. Once he came back on the field everything else was gravy. The fact that he came back and made some big time plays in leading the comeback was just the cherry on top.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

There were also several HoFers* drafted ahead of Revis in this draft.

*potential

Again, draft position doesn't matter for teams who are competent in finding talent year in and year out. The Jets are not one of those teams. In my opinion, a better draft position increases the odds they don't mess up the pick because it puts them in a better position to get a "no brainer" player.

Also, the better position applies to all rounds, not just the first.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I gotta say a cherry on top of gravy sounds gross but I’ve never tried it.

Having said that, I think I was most encouraged by seeing Sam finally developing some chemistry with Robby.

How many times this year has he overthrown him?

Yesterday he was spot on, even the one out the back of the end zone Robby caught it.

The bomb down the right sideline was just perfect.

Scrambling and finding him in the end zone was outstanding.