Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

2. Buffalo Bills Fan

Buffalo Bills Fan New Member

Part of reason Allen takes off. All year for us no O-Line and little WRS and no TES.. Pretty much forcing for Allen to do everything. With little running game as well. This O-Line cannot run block nor pass block. Bargin players playing 4 out 5 startings spots for o-Line. UDFA at WR and such.

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I agree

4. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Allen looked fine to me for a rook

He has to stop running though- His career will be done if he runs

But overall he was competent and he looks decent

His only pick was on a “hero” throw which he will learn from

All 4 QB’s look like they can make it

Even Jackson

1983 draft again?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

You're not wrong.

But when he throws, he's not that accurate. Sometimes he makes some beautiful passes, other times some wretched Sanchezian decisions.

I guess time will tell if he ever puts it together

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Allen isn't running to avoid pressure, he's running to gain yards the offense can't gain otherwise. And Darnold and Rosen are facing the exact same situation with their supporting casts.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I could absolutely see that if... Roethlesberger came into an unbelievable situation for a rookie, very similar to the situation Sanchez came into with us. Unlike Sanchez, Roethlisberger had a HOF Head Coach along with a great collection of Offensive coaches including Wisenhunt, Arians and Dick Hoak who was also on Chuck Nolls staff with Bradshaw.

Roethlisberger had a great first year but it was highly controlled. Pittsburgh had the fewest passing attempts in the NFL that year and the most rushing attempts. They had both the No. 1 Defense in the league and the No. 1 rushing attack. They also had two all pro's on the OL, center Jeff Hastings and Guard Alan Faneca who was a beast in his prime. They had good WR and a great running game. Not surprisingly in his third year he's completion percentage went down and his TD/INT ratio was awful when they needed more from him than he could deliver with a lesser surrounding cast.

Roethlisberger under control had a very good rookie year. Nice completion percentage and good TD to INT percentage. In the playoffs when they needed him he threw 5 Int's in 2 games.

It turns out that Roethlisberger is a great QB but unlike Allen, Darnold or Rosen, his rookie year was a picnic. Sanchez had much of what Roethlesberger had in his rookie year except the goods to be a great NFL QB.

I think it's pretty unfair to compare any of these guys to Ben's first year. None of them have that kind of OL and rushing attack let alone several proven NFL offensive coaches. All of them are being asked to carry teams with terrible offensive lines and mediocre at best surrounding talent.

Allen has a ton of physical ability. He's raw as hell, but he also doesn't have the coaching or surrounding talent to even begin to develop properly. He is seeing NFL defenses and he is a physical mismatch both with his arm and legs. I think anyone who writes off Allen at this point is nuts.

The one thing Allen, Darnold and Rosen have in common is the OL in front of them. It's a huge issue that has to be corrected in order for these guys to develop.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This rookie class is special. Baker has proved me wrong, he's going to be a stud for Cleveland, I am however glad he is there and we have Darnold. Baker, I think you really need a defined structure around him in terms of system and such, but with Darnold he just has that backyard football mentality we desperately needed.

Lamar looking great over in Baltimore. Made some impressive throws yesterday, he's going to be a stud. Hopefully we see more of Rosen down the stretch. Allen showed me some good things, but a whole lot of bad too.

People will continue to look at the previous class, but Mitchell IMO isn't that good (more-so product of a good offensive coach). Mahomes is a savage though, him and Reid are perfect together. Watson is a solid QB as well. 2017 Class might have 2 guys. 2018 class might have 3 or 4. 2017 class has great coaching as well. 2018 class? No good coaching IMO for those QBs, cept for Cleveland as of late.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. Buffalo Bills Fan

Buffalo Bills Fan New Member

Possible you're right. But the talent on offense side is horrible. 10 draft picks. Top 5 cap space. I think most of off season work on offense for us. For rest of year interested how Allen grow and process to it.

I think you guys might have a QB. Get him a offensive HC. Usly HC manage things now days. Let the D Cordinator call plays and OC call plays on offense,. But anyways new HC plus bringing in talent for offense you guys. Might have something. I think might to be a good rivalry between us going forward. Hopefully the damn Pats take a step

10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

A step like this one?

[​IMG]

donkey, NYJFOREVER, jetsclaps and 4 others like this.
  11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

sure wish the op would update the original post with what the info is now. it might be in there somewhere, i searched 2 pages and didnt see it.

12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Granted I was happy to see this but how the hell is he on the field in that situation? I guess next week Brady will be punting? I thought Belichick was about putting players in positions where they can best succeed?

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He had two picks, one was a terrible decision (like Sam's) and the other was just not a good throw. Well both weren't good throws, but you can excuse the hero throw. I thought he displayed close to no ability to be a pocket QB. His dropbacks were messy, he has absolutely no touch and obviously his accuracy leaves a ton to be desired. His mobility will get him through this stretch of progressing though. My question is... can you expect a guy who was a bad passer in college to ever be a good passer in the pros?

14. HomeoftheJets

He thought Tannehill was going to throw a Hail Mary, and Gronk is his best jump ball defender. Not a good decision since Tannehill doesn't have Rodgers's arm, but that's what he was thinking.

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold through 10 games: Comp: 56%, TD: 12, INT: 15 Yards: 2104 Record: 4-6
    Pey Manning through 10 games: Comp: 55.5%, TD: 16, INT: 20 Yards: 2289 Record: 2-8

#315 Sam Hammer, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  16. HomeoftheJets

League average passer rating in 2018: 93.9
    League average passer rating in 1998: 78.3

So Manning > Darnold.

Also the league average passer rating in 2009 (Sanchez's rookie year) was 83.0. Which is only a point higher than Bortles's current passer rating, and Bortles is the worst QB in the league not named Darnold, Rosen, or Allen. So what a lot of Jets fans don't realize is that as we've spent the last decade in QB hell, the rest of the league's offenses have skyrocketed. Darnold has a long way to go.

#316 HomeoftheJets, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    94Abraham likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Did anyone really say that Darnold DOESNT have a long way to go?

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

My point was that rookie QB stats really don't mean anything, so tracking and comparing rookie QBs isn't going to paint any sort of relevant picture. Give it a few years and then we can start tracking their progress. Right now it's a crap shoot.

19. HomeoftheJets

I think it's a longer way to go than most posters realize.

20. HomeoftheJets

But they do mean something. Far from everything, but a good rookie year is a good sign and vice versa.