Draft order concerns versus Darnold's progress. Were you happy with the win today?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 9, 2018.

?

Were you happy with the win today?

1. Yes

72.3%
  2. No

13.4%
  3. Not sure yet

14.3%
  1. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

And every time this point is made it's dumb IMHO. In general, even the worst teams don't lose on purpose in the NFL. Just once I would like someone to explain to me why a coach or player is going to "tank" when he's not even guaranteed to be retained (coach) or a paycheck (player) next year. Losing on purpose never makes sense no matter how many times it's stated.

Will a certain percentage of the players lose focus or not play (or practice) to the maximum when the season is lost? Sure. However that is a far cry from tanking.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's a valid question, and Brook was right to pose it. Most fans - if they're completely honest - had some conflicted feelings about this, even if in the end they still rooted for the W. If I could, I'd "have my cake and eat it too" - winning the last three games with Sam playing great, but getting the #1 pick, and having Macc and Bowles fired, but in the end, I still root for them to win. That said, some fans are okay with not winning a few meaningless games that will screw up our draft position and maybe allow Bowles and Macc to keep their jobs. You want to judge them as "bad fans" go ahead, but that and $4.00 won't even get your a double latte at Starbucks.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

So you’re saying the mods suck.

4. Rollo Tomassi

Tanking is a fan thing.

It’s never been a player or coaching or franchise or owner thing. Well, very rarely.

Just like rooting for a win does not impact the play on the field, rooting to tank has no impact on the play on the field.

It’s just fans bullshitting.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Nope. Just one mod suck. :(

6. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

I'll always be happy with a win, with draft position being a consolation for losing at this stage.

Unless the plan is to get Nick Bosa, I don't really see too much difference in value between any of the other Top 10 picks, except as trade bait.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If you are upset that the Jets won today, you probably should pick a different hobby to follow. Great team win. I think it will build confidence for Sam's future too. Now if you are a Colts fan, it makes more sense to be upset! :D

UK_Chilts likes this.
  8. Rollo Tomassi

Trade bait is the goal.

Hopefully a QB needy team tries to move up like us last year.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree with your post and think that it's ridiculous. We should want to get a meaningless win that may save an incompetent HC's job or incompetent GM's job, and screw up our draft position? Your post is what is sad and degrades the forum. An extra win or two this season mean nothing. Better draft position where we can get better choices of players, and perhaps trade down to add extra picks is infinitely more important than another stupid win or two.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Are there any QBs this draft that are worth moving up for? I have never really followed college ball. I suppose it just takes one team to fall in love with a prospect for it to happen.

11. NCJetsfan

Nonsense. I would have expected a post like like this from some other posters, but not you. Sam's confidence would have been strengthened with the way he played regardless if the Jets won or lost today. Wins at this point of the season in a lost season like this are counterproductive and are meaningless. With hopefully a new HC and CS next season, there is no momentum or anything positive that can be gained. Wins like this are actually harmful in that the only compensation we have is better draft position, which we know can help in building the team around Sam, and possibly being able to trade down, add a 2nd round pick and another pick or three would be very helpful.

12. NCJetsfan

Drew Lock and Justin Herbert are most likely the top two QBs. With quality QBs being so rare and teams being needy, undoubtedly some team will seek to trade up to take one of them. In addition, teams could look to trade up to take Bosa or Allen or one of the top DTs.

Cidusii likes this.
  13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I hear ya

A win by freakish play is wasted

But

in this instance Sam led them

He Came back from injury

He gained confidence

He played on the road

He played in cold

He Earned some level of respect. (We can debate the level- but he did earn it)

All That will matter in 19

PS

Don’t get me wrong. I’d love to have #1 pick and trade down a few times, but in the end I’m glad our current young asset delivered.

hwismer and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Rollo Tomassi

IMHO no I don’t love this class but QB needy teams always reach and one or two will rocket up the boards that someone will want to trade up for.

Cidusii likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Raiders and 49ers won, so it is not too bad. It is okay to disagree, but these young players need wins. I can't imagine a fan would really want the Jets to end the season on a 10-game losing streak. Sounds awful. This win doesn't change Bowles' job status. He is gone. He is awful.

And you should expect posts like that from me, because I want to win. Every week. No matter what. Always have. I want to beat Houston on Saturday now! ;)

truthbtold likes this.
  16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Sorry i don’t think the forums degraded

The forums are purely reactive

This organization has been so bad for so long, it’s just a mirror of reality

The team has degraded.... the fans are the same people

IMHO

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I get your fear that any wins at this point might save MAcc and Bowles's jobs, and lessen our d.p., but I think you're under-valuing the positive impact engineering a come from behind win in the last couple of minutes will do for Darnold's confidence. Make no mistake, he was under the microscope, not just as the Jet's hope at QB, but also in comparison to Allen who many people said should've been the #1 pick. This was a STATEMENT game for Sam and he made it emphatically.

And in all reality, we are very unlikely to win even one more game, and still have a shot to get the #1 pick. On balance, I'll take today's outcome and be happy.

18. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I will never understand how you can watch a game for three hours, hoping your team loses.

Great team win, go Jets!!!

UK_Chilts likes this.
  19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

You always want Darnold to win games

That's how this works

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

IMO the positive impact wouldn't have been any less for Sam if the Bills had come back on their last drive and won the game. I'm happy for you that you're happy with the win. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another nail in the coffin of my Jets' fanship. I'm fed up with stupid shit like this. The Jets can never do anything right. They lose when they should win and win when they should lose. At the end of lost, losing seasons like this, they always win a game or two that screws draft position and costs us a player that could really change things for this team. I'm sick of it! They would fuck up a wet dream.