Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is the exact game fans who wanted him to play out these final 4 games wanted to see. A come from behind win. Learning in the process. Great effort today by Sam. And that TD pass? Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he's a bust because he's very young and raw. So he can get better as a passer. As for his receivers, Darnold and Rosen have the exact same problem, but they're out-passing him without defenses devoting a player as a spy.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

For the first time this season I think I might've seen what looked like chemistry between Sam Darnold & Robbie Anderson.

I need to see more.

It'd be a exciting development if that's what's happening.

*crosses fingers*

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  4. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

Honestly, (and i mean this on a funny happy way) i just got done having a similar conversation and the gist was back in april we would jave killed for sam. Now, after this game, if it was a one game audition i would much rather Allen.
    There is no right answer and i think they have both showed flashes of what made them 1st rounders but neither have yet to harnass.
    I just think that Allen works in Buffalo more than Sam. Neither have puked on themselves and have shown potential. One is a more methodical consistant guy and the other can make anything happen any play but lacks the consistency
    This take may age poorly or it might be spot on (and of course im striving for a bit more than the snarky 'xxxx is better bc thatll make em suck') but I think each player is better suited in their respective city and both fan bases qre qnd should be jazzed about it

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The way Allen plays looks like he won't be in the league for long. He gets absolutely pummeled.

Longsuffering88 and Noam like this.
  6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am a long time critic of Allen but he impressed me today. His athleticism and running makes a very bad QB a dangerous QB. Throwing out of the pocket he is awful. His mechanics are terrible, does not set his feet, rushes his throws and makes terrible decisions under pressure. But despite that he makes an occasional good play that makes you think he can get better. He will get better but he will still have a high percentage of really bad plays. He cannot play the way he is now. He takes way to many hits. Running QBs do not last. When his running threat goes away he will head to the bench. That being said he was impressive today but for reasons you do not want in a FQB.

One thing to notice about many of Sams INTs is they come in 3rd and 4th down where he has thrown the ball up to take a chance. Less so today where we could have tried a long FG. But he continues to impress, extend plays and compete. Today against the best pass defense in the NFL all with an awful OL, had running game and limited weapons.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good assessment of both QBs. I thought Sam succeeded in spite of the coaching, and that was what impressed me. Still a little concerned about the interceptions, and overlooking some better targets and forcing some throws, but even the best QBs - including Brady - do that sometimes. I liked what I saw overall.

I think Allen was better than I expected. He showed some touch - not a lot, but some which is more than I expected from him - and he's certainly dangerous with his feet, but I agree that he can't live by his running very long. I'm glad we did't take him.

Noam likes this.
  9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Im just throwing out random numbers here but Id say 80% of GMs/scouts would take Sam over Allen. I dont understand what anyone could take away positive from Allen today.....44 rating....4 TOs....horrible mechanics...poor decisons and he was reckless. You think hes gonna rush for 100 yards every game? Allen is the worst of the whole lot save for maybe the guy in Baltimore

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well put imho. I think Josh Allen has proven there is a high probability he'll "pan out" in the NFL and will probably play the Jets tough for years to come. And I was hoping he'd be the guy we got back when we were picking #6 overall. But at no point ever should anyone have taken him over Darnold or wish we had Allen instead. At least in my opinion.

I also disagree with some of the posts saying how awful of a passer Allen is. He's got an absolute cannon and even today you could see him just absolutely ripping some of those 3rd down throws. Assuming he improves even a little? I'd say solid average or perhaps even a little above NFL starter. Plus his other attributes. I think even more impressive than the running was that play today where he was dead to rights but he physically tossed aside half the Jets linebackers and almost got a completion out of it. That was fairly incredible. What other NFL QB is just going to toss Avery Williamson on his butt like that?

11. ColoradoContrails

I agree. Although I don't think he'll ever become a great pure passer, I think he'll get above average, and coupled with his other attributes - running, physicality - I think he'll be a problem for most teams. I see him like a Roethlesberger maybe.

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Roethlisberger had a 66.4% completion percentage in his rookie year and has had one season under 60% (at 59.7%). Just because he's big people think that's his deal, but he's actually quite accurate. Let's hold off on comparing Allen to him for a while. Personally, as a passer I'd say he's way more like Jeff George than like Roethlisberger. Maybe that will change, but that's pure speculation right now. As a runner he's great, but I believe he will never last in the league playing this way.

13. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Well, he’s been saying all year that he has to play better. In the second half today he finally did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I think Sam has shown the ability to throw a nice long ball when given time. Also shown the ability to hit the mid-range passes to TE's as well. My opinion is that a majority of his int's have come with him trying to do too much and making ill-advised throws downfield into coverage that has a low percentage for success. With a viable pass-catching threat out of the backfield it would curtail many of these forced throws that he's making.

A guy with Bell's ability who's a force in the passing game next year would provide a huge bonus for Sam's development.

15. ColoradoContrails

I was comparing the physicality more than the compl. %. I agree with your Jeff George comp though.

16. jonnyd

so like a Hall of Famer? Good lawd

17. jonnyd

oops, just saw this so Ill walk my comments back a bit :)

18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I know its one game, but the Bills are a good defense playing at home in the cold. I don't think our offense (minus the offensive line) is as bad as we make it out to be. Once someone who comes here that knows how to coach an offense in the year 2019 sets foot in this building, I think we will like what we see.

19. Buffalo Bills Fan

Buffalo Bills Fan New Member

Good game today. I think both teams have own of QB of there there future. Josh Allen has lots of talent and can play well. Our offense are really terrible. No WR, Zay Jones is a number 2 guy and Foster looks to doing well. But no other WR are doing on the team. I think most would be borderline 5 or 6 WRS on offense. No TES at all. Clay took a step back. No O-Line. Even Shady been struggling behind our O-Line. Ivory is a better runner when the line can't run block. ST is horrible. For us Bill's it is like Allen or D kept us in games. Everything else is bad. But I am excited for next year. To fix our talent on team esp on offense. Allen I feel really good on him. Been such long time for a QB.

Ya I wonder off season changes you guys going to make. I am pretty positive Bowles might not be there but if you guys get a good offensive HC. You guys have something. Going to be fun playing aginest you guys next few years. Hopefully all three of us (Dolphins) take down the Pats lol.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The problem with Allen is that if he keeps looking to run as much as he did today, he's going to start getting hurt.