New Org. Chart coming!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 7, 2018.

1. abc

abc Well-Known Member

vomit

2. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Totally agree, but no chance the Johnson Bros sell their Cash Cow, but if the other 3 happen, I will be satisfied...

JetsNation06 and abc like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I thought like that too, until schotty left and Rex brought in sporano(rip)

Jets69 likes this.
  4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Or until Rex left and we downgraded to Bowles..

It can always get worse! (except in the case of Idzik. that was the worst).

boozer32 and LAJet like this.
  5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Since this was the only way the org chart was going to change, then I'm fine with it. Maybe Mac will be able to hire a less crappy coach than the Johnsons would have hired if they were entirely left to their own devices.

CotcheryFan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this, but if you read John B’s article from earlier in the thread you see examples of successful teams that don’t use the Owner-> GM-> coach approach (the Chiefs and Eagles for example).

Also, this idea that the Jets have to hire a VP of football operations is redundant. The GM of Jets basically does what other teams VP of football operations do. All that is different is the title. The fact of the matter is the Jets haven’t hired the right front office personnel and coaches for many years now.

Mehta is the George Constanza of “journalists.” Anything he says or writes the jets should do the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BacktoQueens, FJF and ukjetsfan like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The difference is John B has the team's best interest at heart. Mehta only cares about his own best interest.

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While I agree with John B's assertion that Mac should go and shouldn't get a pass for his mistakes, his reasoning on the org chart issue is severely flawed. The Johnsons aren't Jeffrey Lurie. While that org chart can and does work with some teams, it won't here because of the Johnsons and their lack of knowledge, experience and their insistence on meddling and being in control. Then there's the fact that they can be wildly inconsistent and often side with whom speaks to them last.

ColoradoContrails and Ralebird like this.
  9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean, that's pretty much it.

Unfortunately, there just aren't 32 "good" NFL coaches/GM's. That's why a handful get shit-canned every year, so it's very reasonable to believe we end up with another sack of lemons. That's just the way it is.

But as they say in my local card room, "no gamble, no future."

10. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

In the end, the Johnsons have the make the final decisions on which GM or VP of Football operations to hire. Whether the coach directly answers to the GM or to the owner, it doesnt matter. What matters the most is you get the right people for the job in the first place. What I'm getting at and what I think John B pointing out is that there is no one sure method that a football team must organize in order to be successful and that Mehta using the "proper" organization structure for reasoning to keep Mac was a poor argument.

#70 DimsAllmighty, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Like Biggs posted, Mehta has a pulse on his sources and appeasing d bags like Mac for his trashy column and not on what fans really think...he's the Johnsons propaganda machine imo

2 more years of his hand picked HC and let's see how that goes??...lmao

That's why I prefer the Post

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I've been back and forward on this so many times in my head - I instinctively favour consistency, but this regime has had four years and the team is arguably worse than it was when they arrived. Four years is a good run and should be long enough to show results, or at least a positive trend.

Those simply shocking statistics of the success of Mac's draft picks, which takes into account whether they have latched on to another team (thus eliminating the possibility that it was simply Bowles not knowing how to use them) is the most damning evidence I have yet seen. Throw in his poor free agent acquisitions, and he is absolutely not the man I want to make our draft choices next April. Nor is he the man to be given $100 million and let loose in the free agent shopping mall. I can imagine the owners calling out 'Don't spend it all at once, Mike,' as he skips off to look for expensive cornerbacks.

Enough is enough. We're one of the worst teams in the league AGAIN and I'm sick of it.

Neither Mac nor Bowles have done anything to show they know what they are doing. New coach, new GM, new unis, new start.

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I think you made a great point. We all know that Bowles and his staff can't coach. So how much of that played into the development of the players.

Jets81 likes this.
  14. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Let's be brutally honest here:

1. Any table of organization that has the Johnson Bros. on top is fucked up per se.

2. The people who man the key positions are more important than the table of organization. The current chain of command would have worked OK if Woody had hired the right GM and coach. The new table of organization won't work any better unless Woody hires a competent GM and coach. Do you trust the Johnson Bros. to make the right hire or hires?

3. They're not going to sell the team. It's just too bad the current commissioner isn't a Pete Rozelle. Remember 40 years ago, when the Maras were doing their best imitation of the Johnson Bros. and the Giants sucked for 15 years? Rozelle stepped in, twisted their arms to hire George Young as GM and leaned on them to get out of the way and let Young make the football decisions. The result was that the Giants straightened out and won two Super Bowls. I can't see Goodell doing something positive like that. On the boob scale, he is rapidly approaching the Johnson Bros.

4. The Mehta column we're discussing is vintage Mehta. He knows Bowles is gone but that Maccagnan will probably survive, so he's sucking up to Maccagnan by blaming Bowles for the bad draft choices. That's a tough sell because: (a) no one can blame Bowles for Hackenberg; and (b) few of the draft choices who bombed here have caught on elsewhere, so we can conclude that those draft choice just plain sucked.

5. We've all seen Bowles during interviews and at his press conferences. The guy is a human insomnia cure. When Woody interviewed Bowles for the coaching position, how could he have possibly believed this guy is a leader of men and and would motivate these players to reach their full potential? This guy couldn't motivate a wet dream.

#74 Since1969, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Those hires are always ownership driven because of the money and everything else involved.

MacCagnan is a employee if the Johnsons finally want a proven/big money head coach the only thing MacCagnan can do is move outta the way and be very thankful he survived.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's completely valid to point out that it's not the current organizational structure that's inherently bad - it's the people in that structure that keep it from working. But as NC points out, as long as the Boob Brothers own the team and insist on being "in charge" and being the point of "resolution" between the GM and HC, hiring a President Of Football Ops who has a proven track record of winning - whether in that job or other jobs - is the best approach right now, assuming they retain Macc.

If they fire Macc along with Bowles - which they should do - then yes, if they hire the right guy as GM, then they don't necessarily need a Pres. of Football Ops, but again, if the Boob Bros. continue to insist on being the fulcrum between the GM and HC, then it will likely fail once again.

We all know the real problem is the Boob Bros., but they're not going to sell the team. And I wouldn't put it past Woody to stick it to the fans even if he did sell the team by doing so to an English buyer and moving them to London.

Here's an idea: maybe the fans can get together and start a Go Fund Me campaign to get the money to buy the team from the Johnsons, and then incorporate it like the Packers are! What do you say?

NCJetsfan and Jets81 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above with the caveat that imo #1 overrules #2. It doesn't matter if the Johnsons stumble or luck into good hires at GM and HC, as long as the GM and HC aren't on the same page, the Johnsons are wishy-washy and have no clue what they're doing, but insist upon meddling and setting the HC against the GM (whether intentionally or not), this team will never win anything, and will never be anything but a dysfunctional mess/joke.

You're right that Goodell is neither smart enough or strong enough to order the Jets to do anything. I'm sure that the Maras like things the way they are and would block any attempt by Goodell to try to fix the Jets anyway.

ColoradoContrails and Since1969 like this.
  18. dman928

dman928 Well-Known Member

I didn't. I was born a year after, and will undoubtedly die the year before the next one...

19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The sky must be falling because I actually agree with Mehta. Macc was never given a chance to hire a head coach in the first place. It makes sense to at least give him that opportunity and set up a system where the HC answers to the GM. If the coach and GM are not on the same page, it will fail every time.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

This is a funny thread.

A few observations:

-The Johnson's are never selling. If the Wilpon’s, who have no money, lost a ton to Madoff and are deeply indebted haven’t sold, there is no reason for billionaires who don’t need to cash out to sell. And no amount of “shaming” (lol) from the fan base is going to make them. Give it up. Not happening. Boycotts do not work. (Actually, no one really executed on them).

-The Jets are not moving. And certainly not to London. They are 50-50 joint venture partners in MetLife stadium. The financial impact of moving would be astronomical and I can’t imagine there aren’t restrictive covenants in the JV Agreement that wouldn't prevent them from doing so. And London? Over basically NYC? That’d be like going from Delmonicos to Burger King. Give it up.

-The Johnson’s are not great owners but not only are they not the worst owners in sports, they’re not even the worst owners in the NFL. We’re so myopically critical of our owners, can you imagine being a Detroit Lion fan? Raider fan? Before Dorsey and Mayfield, a Cleveland fan? Cincinnati? Miami? And we’re not the only franchise that has GM and coach reporting directly to the owner. Not ideal, but not unique.

-The main reason for us not being a consistent competitor for what seems like decades has less to do with ownership or GM or coach or even general roster talent. It has to do with the lack of a franchise QB. If Dam is the real deal, and we get even average GMing and OCing with the next regime, we’ll be consistently competitive.

Having said that, I have returned to sniffing glue so take that for what it’s worth.