New Org. Chart coming!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Taken from today's NYDN:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...s-jets-relationship-mehta-20181206-story.html

For those that can't access this link:

Oh well, at least they're trying something different and gasp, conventional.

#1 Cman68, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. Cman68

and Part II:

almbleamal likes this.
  3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I know many don't like this as it retains Mac, but I think it is absolutely the right way for the Jets to go at this time.

#3 MoWilkBeast, Dec 7, 2018
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

So we all know that Bowels can't coach and some of us knew this 2 years ago. I personally believe Macs philosophy sucks and that he is not a good GM at all and that he should be shit canned as well but lets wait another year or 2 and realize our mistake then = yep sounds like the Jets luv this continuity thing ! PS that is a Mehta article so take it for what its worth

Freddy Mondo, alleycat9 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The one thing this tells me for certain is we can forget about any big name coach. No Jim or John, no McCarthy, no Lincoln Riley.

The next HC will be someone unproven again and we can only hope they are good and they don’t come with training wheels on again.

alleycat9, Cman68 and jetophile like this.
  6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The main thing I took from this article is that Darnold just came back from Italy. He's talking with his hands. You don't have to know the language to know what this picture means: "Jets, whatsa a matta you?"

[​IMG]

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

"The Jets would be wise to give Maccagnan an opportunity to hire a head coach who truly shares his team-building philosophies and reports directly to him. Blowing it all up and starting from scratch would do more harm than good given the dynamics at play."

WTF is the writer talking about when he says "his team-building philosophies"? The ones that have resulted in some of the worst drafts in the NFL over the last 4 years and a talent-less roster?

I could not disagree with this article more. Blowing it up is the only chance this franchise will ever have at truly getting it right. No big name coach is going to come in here to report to a shoddy GM like Mac. None. The real right thing to do is blow it up and A.) bring in a proven VP of football Ops and let him hire the HC or B.) Bring in a big name HC and let him build it.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well, they should have done it earlier. All of Macc college scouting is almost complete. Bringing a GM ice cold to get up and running for bowl game scouting, combine, pre-draft workouts and free agency, do they fire all of Macc scouts? Plus the Jets have 100 million to spend. It would be a lot to digest in a very short amount of time.. Bowles is the priority and getting that stench far away from the Jets will be the first improvement.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Any solid talent evaluator worth his salt can handle that, no problem. Saying Mac has almost completed all of his college scouting means nothing when his scouting bears shitty results. You need to cut the cord sooner or later and start fresh. Both Bowles and Mac are the priority. They are both equally responsible for this mess.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Maccagnan has contractual control over the 53-man roster, but he repeatedly has bent over backwards to supply his coaches with players that they preferred to foster a healthy working environment … even if he had reservations about the player.

My guess is Mehta loves the access he has to Mac and in trying to protect him makes him look like a complete tool.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Article is still ass

TonyFtLaud, Peebag, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mehta is a moron. He clearly shows how bad Mac has been at the most important part of his job, personnel, yet he says the "smart thing" is to retain Mac. In what world does that make sense? He was the only one who liked Hack. His record on 2nd round picks is worse than abysmal. Only the Titans' GM saves him from having the worst draft record of any GM in the NFL over the last 4 years.

IMO there's nothing smart whatsoever about keeping Mac as GM and letting him hire the new HC. Period. The odds are overwhelmingly against his succeeding, and it's way too risky. Mac may have been potentially a quality GM, but the Johnsons screwed any chance of that happening with their freaking dumbass org chart and their meddling. Even on the small chance that 90% of his mistakes have been due to inexperience, being forced by Woody to make decisions that he didn't agree with, having to give Bowles his way some of the time on personnel, and the screwy organizational chart, if he isn't extended, he will be a lame duck, and no good HC candidate will want the Jets' job. Further, if removed from the constraints of the screwy org chart and Bowles, Mac's vision proves to be severely flawed, he doesn't learn, he misses badly in FA and the draft again in both 2019 and 2020, and the talent level isn't significantly increased, the rebuild would be set back that much more, several years of Adams' and Darnolds' careers will have been wasted, and they'd have to fire him at that point. As a result, the team would be further hurt in several ways.

First and foremost, unless his personnel decisions improve markedly, they'd be giving the team and the new HC little or no chance to succeed. If they then fired Mac after the 2019 or 2020 season, but not the HC, they would be right back in the same dysfunctional situation they were when they hired Idzik, i.e., they'd be forcing the new GM to accept the HC who is already in place and not allow him to hire his own HC. No good GM candidate would accept that situation. We've already seen that play out with Rex and Idzik. The top GM candidates refused to even interview and removed their names from consideration.

Second, if they fired both Mac and that HC after next season or even 2020, then no good HC candidate will even consider the Jets job, with little or no talent on the team and thus no chance to succeed; clueless, meddling owners; and no job security. No quality HC candidate would take the Jets' job knowing that they could get fired in a year or two. Even first-time HC candidates would probably avoid the Jets, and would opt to wait another year or two for a better opportunity.

Third, if Mac stays and his lousy personnel decisions continue, then the team will be screwed for the next 5 years or so. In that scenario, Darnold will either not develop or will most likely opt to go elsewhere when his rookie contract expires so he'll have a chance to win. I'm not sure any quality GM or HC would even consider the Jets at that point.

Unless the Johnsons are so arrogant or dense that can't see the forest for the trees, then they have to see that THEY are the root problem with the Jets' failures and misery. They either need to sell the team, or do whatever it takes to find a knowledgeable, intelligent and experienced NFL man to run the team, then step back and do no further meddling. They need to allow him, the GM and the HC to do their jobs, and stay the fuck out of their way.

If Mehta is right that it was mostly Casserly who the Johnsons (Woody) listened to instead of Ron Wolf, then Wolf would probably never agree to advise the Jets and would advise his son Elliot to stay far, far away from the dysfunctional mess that is the Jets.

#12 NCJetsfan, Dec 7, 2018
  13. Cman68

I'm just grateful that the Ownership is trying something other than this dual track nonsense that has never worked for us. There may yet be hope for this Ownership.

14. NCJetsfan

How can it be "absolutely the right way?" Mehta himself made it abundantly clear that Mac sucks at the draft and FA, the most important part of his job, so how can it be "absolutely the right way for the Jets to go at this time?"

Please elucidate how or why this is the "right way." Please know that I'm serious. I respect your opinion. If there is something I've missed or some sound reasoning for keeping him, I am open to it, but I just can't see it at the moment.

#14 NCJetsfan, Dec 7, 2018
  15. NCJetsfan

No, if they keep Mac and/or keep meddling, there's no hope.

Besides, how sad and pathetic is it that we would get hope from the owners deciding to go back to a sensible org chart? Only the Jets. sigh

#15 NCJetsfan, Dec 7, 2018
    Peebag and Cman68 like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

People aren't considering the source. Until I hear it from the Johnsons it's moot point.

ColoradoContrails and Peebag like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Another couple of weeks would have helped, but the Johnsons are not the types to fire someone during the season. I can't think of a single situation at the moment where a GM was fired mid-season and his replacement hired then. They are always, or almost always hired during the offseason. That's probably one reason why there are few re-tread GMs. The novice GM candidates have been working as assistant GMs with other teams and so have their knowledge of the draft class from those teams. If anything, it gives depth to the team's decision. The new GM will have the input from two sets of scouts with differing perspectives and priorities.

Based on Mac's record in the draft and FA, this offseason is too important to risk allowing Mac to make the decisions again. I hate it for him. I think he possibly could have been a good GM if the Johnsons had a normal org chart, had stayed out of his way and not meddled, and allowed him to begin the rebuild his first season with the team without the mandate from Woody to win. We'll never know that, however. His career as a GM is probably over. Based on the Hack pick and some of his FA decisions, it probably should be, and makes me think that even if he had been left to his own devices, things wouldn't have been a whole lot better. He needs to go.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  18. Cman68

Remember, this is the organization (and fanbase) that treated back to back AFCCG losses as Super Bowl wins. This is the organization that set the bar so low that ants are spraining their ankles trying to crawl over it. Did you really expect anything else??

NCJetsfan and CBG like this.
  19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the ONLY new org chart i want to see from this team is........

NEW STAFF-------> NEW COACH------> NEW GM------> NEW OWNER.

that's it!

#19 jilozzo, Dec 7, 2018
    CBG, dman928, Brook! and 5 others like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Well, by nature, I'm a very optimistic, hopeful person. I didn't really "expect" things to be different, but "hoped" that they would be. That's why my Jets fandom is on life support. If they don't make the right moves this offseason - either hiring a VP of Football OPs and letting him make all future decisions regarding the team (will never happen) or fire both Mac and Bowles and hire one of the Harbaughs or maybe McCarthy to coach this team and give them complete control and allow him to hire the new GM - my days of following the Jets, reading and posting on Jets fan sites, and rooting for them will end. I'm definitely expecting to pull the plug on that life support within the next 4-6 weeks.

Since1969, JetsNation06 and tomdeb like this.