Who is going to coach the Jets with a lame duck G.M?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AlexJETS, Dec 4, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yeah but the fans are right so...

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Relax. That dude’s six year old is going to come in and turn this bitch around.

dmarz45 likes this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think the product on the field speaks for itself and the fans have nothing to do with that. Jets outright stink as a football team and organization.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ugh..the Jets Sitcom is more pathetic than I thought

I agree with Home...both must go no matter what..clean slate it

Or tell a HC with tons of experience Mac is gone in a year..although option 1 is really the best

5. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Yea, i like Macc, i think he's competent, but this is the reason why both need to go. Granted, I think a younger coach might not have such a big issue with it. I don't even want McCarthy or Harbaugh, so it may work out either way.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's what I'm hoping too, but I doubt we can be that lucky.

7. NCJetsfan

I disagree. The fans have more sense than Woody or Chris do. The fans putting pressure on them may just be the only thing that makes them make the right decisions.

Since1969 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. If the new coach plays his cards right he could end up having significant input on Mac’s replacement;Who else the Johnson’s gonna consult with?!

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

All the more reason why the installation of a football operations director or VP or whatever is essential - the sooner the better. That keeps the GM out of the chain of responsibility for hiring the head coach and eliminates a reason for a coach to decline the position. Unfortunately, since we've seen nothing to indicate the owners share this thought, we'll have to continue to deal with a lack of stability such a move would eliminate.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

It’s the Jets. Bowles will get fired, Macc will stay and won’t get extended. We’ll hire a college HC. Macc will get fired in 2020. Rinse and repeat.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So impatient.. Its only been 50 years!

12. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Right? We had Parcells. We had the best oline and defense in the league, and arguably the best wr Corp in 09-10 and still couldn’t get it done.

13. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Fire Mac and Bowles and pay either one of the Harbaugh brothers double to be both the coach and GM.

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth!

15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If we want to be in the running for one of the more popular HC candidates (John Harbaugh if he leaves the Ravens) then the Jets may need to get rid of Maccagnan.

The power structure has been messed up from the jump, but the extensions given to both Macc and Bowles are the same, which means to me that they are possibly on the same leash. If Bowles goes, then why would you extend Maccagnan?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I just still cant see any real benefit to keeping Mac.

He made a great move trading up for Sam. He gets all the credit in the world for that. Nothing else he's done warrants any form of extension, let alone earning him the right to bring his own coach in, which would basically guarantee him at least another 2 years.

The only option from my vantage point is that you clean house. Set up a normal power structure, preferably with a president at the top of the chain. Have him bring in a GM, and have both of them bring in a coach.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Exactly! Doesn't he know that the Jets are right on target for their once a century winner plan?

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I made this point a month ago.

The reasoning is correct, no one will and as others in this thread pointed out, they either need to extend Mac or fire him. They said they want to maintain some level of continuity for Darnold so they will probably keep him.

He should be fired though.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I basically agree. The only problem I have with this is the bolded. Why would a topflight GM candidate want the position if he doesn't get to choose the HC? If he accepts the job, what if the VP/Pres. of Football Operations and he disagree on who should get the HC job? Would you want your future tied to a HC that you didn't get to pick or that your boss picked? I wouldn't, unless it was written in the contract that my job performance wouldn't be tied to the W-L record of the team, that my job performance would be solely evaluated on the basis of the talent I supplied to the team (both in FA and the draft), the performance of the Scouting/Personnel Dept., how I handled contract negotiations, and the salary cap. Even then, if the HC and his staff had a philosophical difference on the types of players, systems, how players were utilized, and didn't play or develop the players I picked, I could still be made to look bad.

I think the only way it would work is if the VP of FO only advised the GM, but left the final decision up to him on who the new HC would be. Then, part of the GM's performance evaluation would be based on the hire he made for HC.

20. NCJetsfan

Mac doesn't need to be extended. First of all, he hasn't done anything to merit another extension. He probably didn't merit the first extension. Second, and perhaps more importantly, Mac's being here could prevent any quality HC from wanting to accept the job. Do you trust him to hire the right HC (if he's even given the choice)? If nothing is changed in the org chart, then nothing really has changed, and things are still set up to fail. Third, if Mac has another bad draft and fails to get any of the top talent in FA, how can you let him continue as GM for another 2-3 years? Are you just going to announce to the fanbase, "Sorry, but we made a mistake in extending Mac, but we can't afford to fire him, pay his salary and then hire another GM." or are you then going to fire him after a year, and be in the same situation as with Idzik where you trying to hire a GM who has to accept the HC that's already there, rather than allowing him to hire his own HC? If so, you won't get any top candidates for GM. It's just continuing the same dysfunctional mess with the Jets.

As you said, he should be fired. It's the only sane thing to do, and the only hope for this team's future.