Tankathon...and whom to root for

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mario, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Maybe not quite that bad but I can see 10-12 teams not reasonably satisfied with the healthy QBs they have today.

Where did I state the Jets would draft a quarterback? Tony said "the Jets are not a QB needy team." I disagreed. Virtually everyone here has acknowledged that the most important piece missing from the Jets success puzzle has been a quarterback. My viewpoint says the Jets are still missing a quarterback; why would you want to wait a couple more years to find out the cupboard is bare?. If Darnold continues to get "rested" we will have lost a chance to see how needy they are. That may not mean anything to the administration that hid Petty and Hackenberg away until they finally admitted they had both been a waste of time but I really don't want to wait a couple more years to find out there's no one in the pipeline. Do you?

2. Ralebird

Trust me ,he will.[/QUOTE]

Good one, F-Job. Some day you may have something to add to a discussion. We can wait.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Good one, F-Job. Some day you may have something to add to a discussion. We can wait.[/QUOTE]
    Maybe, some day. Now tell us again how the jets should be in the market for a qb this year. It’s a slow day, I could use the entertainment

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I get your point, but it hasn't been proven either that Sam isn't the FQB of the future. Let's see what a good CS and more talent around him does.

Also, the Jets passed on Mahomes and Watson, presumably because they had taken Hack the year before, so I don't see them drafting another QB this year when Darnold - however he turns out - is miles better than Hack.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

The Jets are not drafting a QB this year.

They moved up and got the guy they think will be the starter for a decade plus.

Has Sam proved anything?

Nope.

But it's never about proving anything with a first year QB, it's about determining whether he has the stuff to play at his level. I think he's shown that he can play in the NFL.

He'll prove it over the next 2 years before they even think about drafting another QB high.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Little may be the LT of choice anyway.

KurtTheJetsFan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Be that as it may, the Jets are not gonna draft another QB high in the 2019 draft. If they don't like Webb, then they may draft one to groom as the backup or may opt to follow the Ron Wolf pattern of drafting a QB in hopes of developing him and trading him for a #1 or #2 pick later, but they aren't gonna take a QB above the 4th round if at all, and I would place my money on the latter.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Rollo Tomassi

I'm rooting for this.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Me too!

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The difference is the Jets started Darnold from day 1 of his rookie season, he got a minor injury and played it safe with him, Sat him a few games to ensure the injury didn't become an issue going forward.
    It would have been easier for Bowles to play him and blame the teams issues on his injury. I'm sure the Jets are not looking at a QB in round 1

11. Ralebird

At no time did I claim he wasn't but the post I responded to wanted to wait a couple of years before deciding. That's not acceptable to me. More reason for him to be playing now.

12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Raiders are going to get a win or 2. I can feel it. The team has been slowly improving. They could beat Denver, they should beat Cincy and KC might rest their players for the last game.

If the Jets really want to trade down and get good value they need at least the #2 pick. Assuming the 49ers pick Bosa at #1, that will leave all the QBs on the board.

I feel that is ideal and most probable scenario since the 49ers have a tough schedule and likely won't win a game down the stretch.

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We're going to trade the next HOF QB aren't we? (Sorry I think the dark side has gotten to me.)

14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

They signed CJ Anderson so that could help them too.
    It would be a great scenario either way. 9ers take Bosa and we trade down, or 9ers trade down and Bosa falls to us at 2.
    Then it gets very interesting

ColoradoContrails and Sam Hammer like this.
  15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Come one dude have a little faith. Darnold is a bright kid and didn’t do anything wrong this year (at least for a rookie). It’s obvious the organization failed him and not the other way around.

Regardless, I don’t even think any of the QBs are worth taking in the early 1st round. Not like the next Luck is coming out in the draft.

16. Sam Hammer

Haha, I can't blame you for that. Supposedly last year's class was much better than this year's, but the Jets need oline help over all else and trading down could greatly help with that.

My hope is that a team that needs a QB will want to leapfrog the Giants and the Jets would be more than happy to accommodate that.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Hmm 2017 was nothing special at the time and now...

18. Ralebird

Sorry, Pal - my faith has been eroded since the 1960's. It's great that "Darnold is a bright kid" but that doesn't feed the bulldog in a results oriented business. It is too early to judge his success or potential in either direction. In the meantime the Jets should be taking steps that they have people in the pipeline at all times who can be successful.

19. Rollo Tomassi

It starts tomorrow night--basically every 4 or less win team needs to win:

Jags over Titans
    Atl over GB (although either one will help us, Atl more so)
    Browns over Carolina
    Bills over Jets (D'oh!)
    Giants over Washington (ouch)
    SF at home over Denver
    Oakland at home over Pitt
    Cards over Lions (although that puts the Lions in contention because we might have the TB with them)

Brook! and Sam Hammer like this.
  20. Sam Hammer

Denver just lost Sanders for the year, they are in trouble. The 49ers could beat them tomorrow and so can the Raiders down the road.

The Giants will beat the Redskins. They are starting to click. Sanchez is Sanchez. Giants are going to keep winning so they will have to pull a massive draft day trade with the Jets for a QB.

I also have almost no confidence in Pittsburgh anymore, they are super streaky and fluky these days. Oakland has a good chance to catch em with their pants down.