A positive story for a change of pace

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by TonyFtLaud, Dec 2, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

With all the Negative news lately, here's something positive.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburg...r-1st-time-since-spine-surgery-125769427/Amp/

Ryan Shazier jogs for 1st time since spine surgery

Ryan Shazier was reportedly given a 20 percent chance to walk again after sustaining his serious spine injury that required stabilization surgery following Pittsburgh's 2017 game against the Cincinnati Bengals. On Friday, nearly a full year after sustaining that injury, Shazier jogged for the first time since his major surgery, Stephen J. Nesbitt of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has reported. While Shazier jogged, his teammates "went berserk" while supporting the two time Pro Bowl linebacker.

"From there, every incremental improvement gave him more fuel to the fire," fellow linebacker T.J. Watt said. "It was cool to see. You could see the happiness it brought to him -- and to all of us. It's like, holy cow, he's doing exactly what he said he was going to do, and it's happening so quickly."

Following his surgery, Shazier remained in the hospital for several months before being discharged in February. Upon his release, Shazier began his outpatient therapy. He also started making trips back to the Steelers' facility, where he began helping Pittsburgh's staff prepare for the upcoming NFL draft. Shazier could be seen at several local Pro Day's -- including the University of Pittsburgh's -- evaluating defensive players and clocking the 40-yard-dash.
    This season, Shazier has served the Steelers in an unnamed role, attending practices, games, and film sessions. He also travels with the team and can constantly be seen working with Pittsburgh's defensive players, specifically the team's inside linebackers. Shazier also received his entire $8.718 million salary from the Steelers this season after the team placed him on the PUP list before the start of the season. This year has also been an eventful one in Shazier's personal life, as he and his fiancee Michele are expecting their second child.

While he could have stayed home during his outpatient therapy, Shazier instead tried to inspire other people who have recently suffered spine injuries. Along with returning to the Steelers in a new role, Shazier has also visited other people who have recently sustained spine injuries.

“To me it’s more about showing people that just because things don’t go your way you shouldn’t give up,” Shazier recently told said Teresa Varley of Steelers.com. “You shouldn’t crawl in a shell and lose hope. I go out there every day and do the best that I can to continue to be like I was before I got hurt. If I don’t try to get back to where I was, or try to get better, I am going to be stuck in a sunken place. I feel like the only way I can do it is be around the people I love and the things I love doing. It helps me.
    “It’s great being an inspiration, but it’s tough too. To everybody else it seems like you are recovering so fast or doing so well. But it’s still a battle you have to fight. When you are not on a roller coaster, it seems like a fast ride. When you are dealing with it, it’s a lot rockier than you think. Sometimes it’s cool to be an inspiration to others so I can uplift people, but sometimes you are still trying to uplift yourself.

“Sometimes it’s hard for me. It’s been a long journey. To me, I don’t feel like I am a courageous person. Just the fact I am doing this, pushing this one day at a time. I am thankful I am able to show people that just because somebody tells you it’s over, it’s not over."

Shazier, Pittsburgh's first round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, remains determined to continue his career at some point in the future. His main objective -- to one day earn enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame -- hasn't changed.
    "Ryan is still chasing his dream," Steelers' outside linebacker Joey Porter said. "He's always trying to put himself in a situation to come back. We don't know how that journey is going to end, but at the same time you know he's not going to stop trying to chase it. That's the beautiful thing. He hasn't lost his fight at all."

"That guy was meant to play football," added defensive captain Cam Heyward. "I'm just excited for his comeback."

While his NFL future remains unknown, what is clear is the current impact Shazier is making on his teammates.
    "He's a hero to me," Heyward said of Shazier, who will again be supporting his teammates during Sunday night's game against the Los Angeles .

Personally, I'm rooting for him to get back into the league but even if he doesn't, I'm happy to see how far he has come in his recovery

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Ryan Shazier is an incredible man, but for the love of God, don't try to play in the NFL again. It isn't worth it.

3. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Tony this is a great story and had the Steelers released him, they would have looked like true scum bags.

This story sort of reminds me of those great stories I use to read in a publication called Reader's Digest. For example about a man who had 3rd-degree burns all over his body and was given little chance to live, but his will and the grace of God made him recover.

I would like to see this story get more press coverage, hopefully, it will.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Nice stuff. And Steelers organization is indeed fantastic.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sign this beast?

Good stuff. I hope he is able to be active with his kids.. Anything else will be gravy.

#5 FJF, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    TonyFtLaud likes this.