Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Anything different on the winter outlook? I heard El Nino is back for a return engagement.

2. Cman68

I got several jackets from Eddie Bauer. One is good for outside temps down to -35F. The Parka is waterproof and good to 0 deg F. Throw in an old school Snorkel and i'm good to go! :)

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Two bad weather-related accidents on Rt 7 the last couple of days. I think this is going to be a rough winter.

The place I'm working is up on a hilltop and all summer we had dark clouds hanging over us and endless rain. Things cleared up a bit in the fall but now the clouds are back every day and we're getting rain or a wintry mix every other night. It hasn't been cold but it has been wet and now it is going to get cold.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The models were showing something for this upcoming midweek but it looks like that threat is gone and not going to happen -->BUT next weekend needs to be watched as that has some serious potential. So we keep an eye towards next weekend and in other news tomorrow / Sunday looks like a washout as its going to rain

FJF likes this.
  5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

We're getting our Pagan Yule Tree today because it's going to be cold and rainy tomorrow. It's a lot of fun. You pick out your own tree, cut it down on the spot, drink some warm apple cider. Sure, you can call it a Christmas Tree if you want, no skin off my back; but it's still a Pagan Yule Tree at the end of the day. If it's not Pagan, well, you're not doing Christianity right!

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Cman there is a tremendous amount of snow cover to our North, Im talking North of the U S. I think it will be a snowy winter , Im not talking December Im talking afterwards. The experts are saying that yes we are in El Nino and that they notoriously have a late start but once they do Fjay and Myself will be dancing in the streets = time will tell but have the Gas ready for the Ariens. Ps Something BIG on the radar right now for next weekend we will see if it happens. As for tomorrow start building an ark

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  7. Cman68

Actually this winter I'm changing up the fuel mixture. Going with Ethanol free fuel. Hopefully that helps the Ariens run cleaner and I can just put it away in April.

CBG likes this.
  8. Cman68

Jeto, do the world a favor and never change girl! We luvs ya just as you are.. An eccentric breath of non polluted air untainted by society. You madam, are a true 4 sided triangle.

:)

9. jetophile

A 4 sided triangle indeed. I used to think Calculus was a Roman Emperor. BTW, this is a bad jam:

10. jetophile

I just noticed this. We got an Ariens last year (I would have to open the shed to get the model #). The old man siphoned out the gas and ran some cleaner shit through it. I think what happens (if I'm correct) is that ethanol makes water build up in the gas/makes the gas "heavy" after you retire it for the season. It's brand new (although we did use it quite a bit) and wouldn't start for crap before our first snow this year, but after he did the treatment, it worked like a charm. It actually shocked and amazed me and I was wondering if he was feverish. He never does anything until the 11th hour. Anyway, I didn't know that you could still buy ethanol free gas (?). o_O We are a primitive people, and only last year hung up our shovels for a modern amenity mostly because I said, "Who lives like this?" I draw the line on leaf-blowers, though. Raking is a great work out and not heart attack inducing.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this wasn't the stuff he used, but I'll ask him.
    https://parts.ariens.com/fuel-stabilizer-liquid-04730400-p/04730400.htm

11. Cman68

Not sure if your Ariens has an electric start but my model does. I have the 24" deluxe with a Briggs and Stratton Engine. I already had to use it this year and with the electric start, it started right up no issues. Stations that sell ethanol free gas are few and far in between. I have one a few miles from me but its the only one I think in York Co. PA that still sells it. I would google search and let your fingers do the walking. It does make a huge difference between seasons as there's no gum build up as you'd have with ethanol treated fuel. I can say with the first snowblower run of the year on ethanol free gas, the Ariens performed as well as always. If possible, give it a shot.

12. jetophile

^I added a link in my edit. Yeah, ours is an electric start, not sure about the rest. Now the curiosity is killing me. Thanks for the heads up, though. I'll pass that along.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

SE GA getting POUNDED atm....watchin Pitt-clemson game. Nonstopcrawler across screen

CBG likes this.
  14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

should be hype soon about next weekend,,,,,,the models are still flip flopping about it,,,but still lots of time

15. Cman68

Not sure if that price is a good one Jeto. I would go to Lowes/HomeDepot and see what's available. You can also go to any Autozone and find ethanol treatment/stabilizer. If you can't find a gas station that sells ethanol free gas, this is most likely the way to go.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/STAR-TRON-8-oz-Fuel-Additive/3329684
    https://www.homedepot.com/s/fuel%20stabilizer?NCNI-5

#14315 Cman68, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

ethanol free + Stabil

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Sunday / Monday ???????? Maybe need to keep an eye on things see how this plays out

18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

As Cman said, right now it's tracking DelMarVa and south. Fingers crossed it stays that way. (I'll just get out of the way that every time you're rooting for snow I'm rooting against it - my goal is to never go beyond the easy 3" or less.) After that it's a full week before any forecast precip right now, and that's wet, not white.

CBG and thedonger like this.
  19. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

As I said to CBG earlier in this thread, as much as I appreciate all the work that goes into this, I'm rooting against snow as well.

CBG likes this.
  20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

South South Jersey could see some white stuff Tomorrow nite,,,,just sayin