We're very close to being a perennial contender

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Things that need to happen for the Jets to be good:

1. The OL needs to be rebuilt and it needs to be a coherent rebuild, not a throw $50M at an aging FA who is about to be a JAG as he trips over 30.
    2. The WR's need to be overhauled and the Jets need a true #1 and probably a #2 also. Enunwa is good as a slot/hybrid receiver. He might even be a solid #2 opposite the right #1. Kearse is a decent #3 possession type receiver. Anderson is hot garbage at this point.
    3. The Jets need a pass rush. Not a pass rusher - a pass rush. We've sucked at sacking the QB and bringing big pressure since the Sons of Anarchy came undone. Mo Wilkerson wasn't a pass rush. Mo, Snacks taking up two guys in the middle and Sheldon Richardson and a couple of LB's who could get to the QB when the protection was overwhelmed by the rest was a pass rush. All we had left when the dust cleared was the marquee name and he wasn't a pass rush.
    4. The Jets need some fixing on the outside of the defense. Mo Claiborne and Trumaine Johnson are both 29 next year and will be 30 in 2020. That means when everything else above has been fixed (if) the CB's will be aging out.

The Jets have to draft better than they have been. They have to be more careful with where they put the free agent money. If they throw a bunch of money at 28-30 year olds next year then Darnold will get a year or two of real support and then everybody will drop out around him just like they did with Sanchez and Chad before him. You have to build a team such that they all support each other on an ongoing basis, not like a circus act that has lots of loud clowns that draw attention and then drop out as their individual egos run amuck and Father Time lowers the hammer.

Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason.

WTF did we think was going to happen when we signed Plaxico Burress to be our main WR and a 35 year old guy to play opposite him?

Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

More implants to fix the offense, which they did effectively in 2015 before they both aged out. Decker actually came in earlier and was a good player for a couple of years but he was burning the candle during those seasons and wasn't going to be the answer for long.

Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie.

That was the plan to fix the defensive backfield in 2015. Worked for one year.

The Jet have to draft better. They have to do this every year. Whatever it takes to fix the draft process needs to get done because the Jets will never be a good team drafting the way they do now and then filling the gaps with 2 year wonders.

2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

All we need is like 3-4 new offensive linemen, a star WR, a RB, a pass rusher, another decent LB, and a shutdown CB and we are set! Not much to ask for.

stinkyB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

All of those names were music to Woody, the Merchandising and PR dept. ears. Those names kept the suckers (fans) interested. It also kept the Jets on the back pages instead of the Giants. Not sure if those signing were ever meant for anything other than marquee value.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well said Br4d, as usual. I notice you mentioned several times "The Jets have to draft better". Agreed. But isn't it odd that their GM was supposed to be a draft guru? Wasn't that his major asset? And of course the problem goes much deeper than just Macc, although he IS in charge of the scouting dept. - the Jets scouts wouldn't even hold their own in a fantasy football league, let alone the NFL!

There is a LOT to be fixed with this team, and it goes much deeper than OL, pass rush, skill players, and if the root problems aren't fixed, then they won't fix the obvious ones.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Actually, Casserly's protege was supposed to be some kind of super scout talent evaluator.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well yes, but doesn't that translate to "draft guru"? Apparently not. The point is that everyone thought eh would be the "anti-Idzik" who has set the all time low bar standard for shitty drafting, and while we can say he's done better than Idzik, is that really good enough? Not saying you're defending Macc, just explaining why it was such a failure to hire him as GM.

7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The two bolded words are all you need to know about why it hasn't worked out so far.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The question is did Ron Wolf have any say in who to hire as GM? I'm sure he would've recommended someone from the Packers organization, which has done well in rounds 2-4.

stinkyB and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

There is enough evidence there to fire Mac. Improving from an F performer to a C+ performer does not get us to the promised land

If the Jets think they have spotted somebody in some other NFL organization, or internally, that would be a better GM than Mac then they have to move on it

I don't love or hate Mac. I do want to see one of his teams under a competent coach and competent assistants. We have yet to see that yet.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd look at teams who have drafted well recently(Saints, Cowboys, Falcons, etc...) and try to hire a director of player personnel from one of those organizations.

jets_fan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Ron may have been reluctant to recommend his son, Elliott. I think he would be a great choice. He had a lot of input into the Packers' drafts under Ted Thompson and most people thought he'd get the Packers' GM job when Thompson retired. That's why Elliott left and went to the Browns, where he's an assistant to Dorsey this year. He would be an excellent replacement for Mac.

The Packers were great at spotting offensive playmakers and OL and had a lot of success in the draft under Thompson. Elliott should have learned from his Dad, Thompson and now, Dorsey.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Unless we get a Hardbaugh type in here prepare yourself for 5 plus years of losing football

13. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter who they get in here to coach the team. It won't get any better until Woody sells the team and somebody competent buys it. Pretty much resigned now to the fact that we'll never win anything of consequence under Woody. Our "shining moment" will be, at best, a victory in the second round, like the one we had in our last playoff victory.

14. NCJetsfan

I'm almost where you are. This offseason is probably my last as a Jets fan. I have some hope (but not much) that they'll fire Mac and hire Elliott Wolf as GM. If they do that, it will restore some of my hope in this team/franchise. If they keep Mac, unless they hire one of the Harbaughs or a really good HC candidate, there's no hope.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Why Elliot Wolf? Having a hard time seeing him as a surefire upgrade considering he was just passed over for the Packers GM job that everyone thought was his last offseason.

What do you know about him that I’m missing?

16. His father wrote a book called “The packer way” detailing how he turned around the inept 80’s early 90s packers who were likely worse off than the jets bc absolutely no player wanted to live in green bay.He actually went to GB after working his way up the jets scouting dept. The steps he took turn around that program is exactly what this Jets organization needs.

I have no idea if he shares similar SOP’s & philosophies that his father did & he deserves to walk his own path but i would def take a look at him esp if he was heavily involved in college evaluation & the draft process.

17. NCJetsfan

I've read several things about him in the last week or two that said that he should have gotten the Packers' GM job. Brett Favre said on a sports talk show that Wolf "move on." He is supposedly highly respected in the NFL. I'm sure that he learned from his father, and should have learned from Ted Thompson who was a very good GM, and now he's working under Dorsey. I doubt that Dorsey would have hired him if he was not good at his job.

I'll see if I can find some links.

18. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

And me very well be getting a Harbaugh type

19. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

One step at a time. Let's get a couple of over .500 seasons and a playoff appearance or two and then we can loosely throw around terms like perennial contender. The coaching and management is in turmoil and there seems to be questions and concerns at almost every position on this team.

Without stable ownership/coaching/management and without at least half dozen or so star players on both sides of the ball, you're not going anywhere in this league. This offseason should go a long way towards determining whether the Jets have turned the corner, or whether they will continue to suck indefinitely.